NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default O/T but may be somewhat helpful

Posted By: Mike Campbell

My wife is an Olaf grad. 1979. Choral singer as well. And pianist and teacher. I spent a lot of time there as well. Regarding the Minnesota contingent, I know the powers that be in Minn, are doing their darndest to soak up all disposable income. So I am not sure what the answer to the high concentration might be. Must be something in the water that makes us all nuts. There is a lot of that around here.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

Rich,
Getting the Dallas area people together sounds great to me, looks like Brent is another! Maybe Vargha will make the drive from Ft. Worth and join us too.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Kevin,

Shush.... We've been making raids across the bay for all that there shiny copper pipe.

Damn outhouse's keep blowing over.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I'm 34 and have been collecting football and baseball cards since I was five (the first cards that I saved were the panels on the back of the Hostess boxes). I have been collecting vintage items since the early 80's. My primary areas of interest and collecting inspirations are Pirates, Tigers, and anyone I read about in the baseball biographies. I spend equal time/resources collecting vintage football.

I am married and have a daughter (3yrs) and a son (6 mos). My wife is very tolerant of my collecting and actually expresses minor interest from time to time.

I attended John Carroll in Cleveland and earned my BS in Science/Environmental Policy. I continued my education at JCU and earned a MS in Ecology with a focus on Herpetology and Ornithology. I moved to Boston to work on my PhD at Northeastern University. After two years I realized that I enjoyed teaching more than stomping through swamps chasing turtles. I dropped out of the PhD program and moved to Charleston SC and began teaching Biology and Chemistry and coaching football. While in Boston I met my wife (who also happened to be an Ohioan) who is a Marine Biologist. We made the move to Charleston together. After two years in Charleston we moved back to Ohio to be closer to family (I will retire in Charleston someday!). I currently teach high school Biology and Chemistry.

I definitely am a flavor of the month collector. Currently I have been focusing on N302's, N28's, E254's and unique vintage football items like press photos and broadsides. Check in next week as the list will change. I blame the board for my capricious behavior as every new thread seems to inspire or rekindle interests. A great place!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm an art historian in Seattle, and maintain the website www.cycleback.com

I was raised in Wisconsin,and have been many times to Minneapolis, Mt. Horeb and other Lutheran hotspots. My dad's family has been in Minneapolis since the 1800s.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

I'm a 38 y/o married father of two girls (4 & 7), and have been collecting ever since I bought by first pack of cards in '75. I ordered my first vending boxes in 1977 from Renata Galasso, and it's been downhill ever since. My first vintage card was a 1939 Playball Luke Sewell that I conviced my grandmother to buy for me somewhere in north Jersey at the same time.
I quickly became the kid that liked "last years cards", which prompted a couple of moms on the block to hand over boxes of cards otherwise destined for the garbage. Many of those I sold at a couple of shows in Jersey in the mid 80's. I was spoiled back in the day by the local card store, run by John Broggi, now of the National Convention group. Great store, and always something vintage in stock.
I live in Metuchen, NJ (which is nowhere near Tuckerton, home of Summer teeth- some 'er here, some ain't) and have recently emerged from lurker status. I wrote a couple of articles for VCBC on T206 backs, 19th Century HOFers and the EPSCC shows, but generally prefer to fly below the radar.
I colect pretty much across the board, but focus on T206 (501 down, 19 to go) and other pre WW2 cards. I also have a run of Topps sets from '69 on, as well as a few that are almost there. I can also boast that I have actually met Barry Sloate in the flesh (in Brooklyn) HA- just seeing if you're paying attention...
I went to the University of Richmond and New York Law School (with a brief stop-over at University of Toledo Law School) and am an assistant prosecutor. My daughters have latched onto my other hobby- birdwatching- with much interest, but haven't shown interest in this part (yet).

Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Judd- A lot of people aren't sure I really exist...you are one of the few who can confirm it.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I can also confirm the existence of Barry Sloate. Barry sightings are as rare as those of Sasquatch. Most commonly seen on the east coast, he may on rare occasions be seen on the west coast. Barry sightings within the heartland remain unconfirmed.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Barry with Lew at the National here in Chicago back around 98. (Might have been a little earlier). Chicago is in the Heartland, right?

Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Barry, what say we get a NYC contingent of collectors together sometime soon? I think there are more than a few of us.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Jeff and Barry - count me in on a NYC get-together.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

57 year old Brooklyn collector from the Yorkville section of Manhattan. Also some residue hippie left in me. Though I'd be a dwarf among giants at a New York collector conclave, I'd be interested too. Maybe I could just work the coat check or something.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Hi Dave, I'm 38 years old, married to a wonderful woman who supports my card collecting habit and have two great kids--an eight year old son and a five year old daughter. My wife and I are in the process of adopting a baby girl from China who should arrive next year. We left L.A. in 2004 for 20 acres outside beautiful Boulder, Colorado where we built a nice house in the foothills. My son is the biggest sports nut I know--he'll watch anything from baseball to football to lacrosse to curling. I have my own patent law practice which allows me to troll the Web (most notably this site and eBay) on weekdays during often extended work breaks. After a near 20-year hiatus I started collecting cards again in late 2003. I became so interested in T206 that I conducted a long-term study of eBay transactions and published a book with many of my findings. It's available for free download at oldcardboard.com and t206museum.com if you would like a copy. I have set T206 aside for the time being and am currently trying to acquire one card of each hall of famer from their active days. My favorite cards are E93 Waddell, N162 Keefe and T206 Lajoie with Bat. Best of luck with your low-end T206 set, and welcome. Scot

Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Rey

I'm 36 -- an old 36, as I have a 19 year-old daughter attending the University of Idaho on a track scholarship. While I started out collecting the same cards as my friends when I was 8-years-old, by the time I was 12 I started to trade for 1950s cards from one of my friends' dad. Still have the 1952 Topps Mickey Vernon that was my first pre-1977 card.

While I now work as the media spinmeister for Eastern Washington University in Cheney, Wash., I spent eight years as a reporter and editor and most importantly, three years working at the now-defunct University Trading in Seattle after I finished up at the UW.

While at U-Trading I got to see the best of the vintage stuff that would get dug out of attics, basements, garages and old houses in the Seattle area. I've spent the majority of my life trying to learn everything there is to know about baseball, so the job was a great way to advance that ambition.

My collecting focus right now is to get one card of each of the 50 best players at every position, preferably a card contemporaneous to their playing career.

I'm pretty much down to the pre-war guys now...

Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I'm in for a New York dinner, but maybe someone else wants to plan it. Will have to be after my auction unless it's on a weekend. Who wants to take charge? By the way, my Brooklyn neighborhood has great restaurants too but I do wander into Manhattan.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Guys--

If a NYC meeting comes off, please keep me in the loop. I might be able to take the train up from DC, perhaps with my wife who could do some shopping, hopefully of the "window" variety. Mark

Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

When should we do this and who wants to take charge? Since some people like Mark have to travel a good distance I'll make myself available any place any time. I eat everything too, not the finicky type....and also, I did have lunch with Bruce Babcock a number of years ago at the Disney studios, brought most of my family with me that day. It was a great afternoon.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

I can set something up. We'll do it after Barry's auction and before the holidays. Weekend night is ok if that will make things easier. Feel free to email me with your availabilities and we'll settle on a date and place. We just need to find a place that will house a fair number of loud, obnoxious children - won't be a problem as I have twin 2 year-old boys and am in the know on which restaurants can tolerate us.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ernest reyes

Good day all. My name is Ernest, I'm 34 and live in Irvine, CA. I'm unmarried and without children. I started collecting in the early 80's and then found myself selling cards at local Southern Califronia shows while in high school. By my high school graduation and entrance into college in the early 90's I had stopped selling cards as the economy and card market fell apart. I had to get a regular job to support myself and then landed an internship in college with a boutique commercial real estate firm. Upon my graduation from college I stayed with the company and have been here ever since. Currently, I work in apartment real estate sales/consulting. I stopped collecting in college as the ladies and parties became more important. Then in 1999 I discovered eBay and made a decision to go after the cards and sets I always dreamed about having. I'm still working on most of those sets today. A couple of years later I discovered 19th Century cards and focused my attention on victorian trade cards. Lately, I've gone crazy for turn-of-the-century boxing cards.

http://dodgersblueheaven.blogspot.com/
http://imageevent.com/ernestreyes

Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JEFF L

A great place with great steaks and noisy atmosphere and right in Barry's neighborhood.
You guessed it.....Peter Luger's. For that I would make the trip all the way from Pennsy.
Count me in.....you guys need an old "dinosaur" to round out the gang.

T-Rex TED

Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig H

I turned 29 last month, and read this board frequently though I have only contributed to this board a couple of times. I work for a background checks company in Orange County, California. I've pretty much collected cards and attended conventions through high school and college without a break. Single and still looking for girls like I was before high school =). I've been collecting since 1985 and just finished off completing the 1938 Goudey set that I started as a 16-year old with no job. I'm primarily a 30's-'40's era collector though I have a few T206 cards with the different backs(scarcest--Broadleaf 350) and some N162s which are some of my favorite cards of all-time. I also acquired a 1942 World Series program and a 1947 yearbook of the South Bend Blue Sox AAGPBL team which are some of my favorite pickups.

Craig

Old 11-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Ted, you don't have to twist my arm to get me to Luger's - that would be great if you could join us there.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hi, My name is Frank, Im 40 as of 2 weeks ago. Born and raised in Kaneohe Hawaii, but have lived 1/2 my life in the Wine/Redwoods Country (Sonoma County) NorCal. Will be moving back to my native Hawaii (Windward side Big Island) early to mid next year if things go right. Never married (close 2 times), but with a great girlfriend now, no kids. My 15 minutes of fame.... Former baseball player (left handed pitcher) but never made it far (Drafted 4th round 85th overall Jan.1985 Expos). Also former butcher, and now just a seasonal County Regional Parks worker. Been into vintage cards on and off for about 27 years now.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Keep in mind that for Luger's we have to make a reservation more than a month in advance, especially for such a large group (they won't care that we are a bunch of yahoos) and we will be looking at around $100 a head. Best restaurant in the world, but it will take some effort and we have to get a head count. If people drop out and come in at the last minute we will run into some problems. I've eaten there maybe 50 times but I'm always ready for a 51st. But let's think it out.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

I might be in for a NYC dinner- and I might be pilloried, but I prefer the Old Homestead or Ben Benson's over Luger's. Weekends are probably better. Please keep me in the loop.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Old Homestead is actually pretty good and might be more convenient if people want to meet in Manhattan, but what is Ben Benson's? Also, it doesn't have to be a steakhouse. But again, how do we coordinate this so it fits everybody's schedule?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Well, let's all set out weekend dates that are good and reach a consensus.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Hello Everyone,

My name is Joe Drouillard. I'm 55, happily maried with three grown sons. I'm a high school teacher and baseball fan. Teaching is a second career, I've only been working with young people for the last eight years, but it keeps me young. Collecting baseball cards for a hobby keeps me sane.

I got started in collecting old cards a couple of years ago. Started with 1961 Topps, sort of reliving my childhood collection, but lately have been focusing on prewar, mostly T-206's but also some Obaks and Cracker Jacks--whatever looks like a good buy on ebay. I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I have to buy and sell on ebay to fund my collecting. But my collection is building quickly and I figure I will be able to suppliment my income by selling off the collection sometime after I retire. That is if I can bear giving up the little rascals.

I've really enjoyed lurking on 54 and every once in awhile posting a question. I've learned so much in the last six months reading your posts. It has made my collecting experience a real joy.

Best wishes,

Joe

Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Well a thread I wasn't even sure of starting seems to have been a good idea. Brought alot of folks out that at least I never see say anything. Its cool to hear a bit about everyone's story. Maybe Keith Olberman will be the next one to post? LOL

Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeW

Hey everyone...
My name is Mike Wolf. I'm a 30 year old graphic designer currently living in Washington DC. Although, I will likely join Barry and the gang in NYC come January 1. I imagine New York's high priced living might cut into my collecting habit.
Outside of card collecting, I am a musician and artist. A few on this board know that I am in a rock band and that I paint. I wonder if I'm the only "rock star" with a love for T206 portraits.

... oh, I guess it would be rude of me if I failed to mention I have no known offspring and or spouses.

http://www.mikewolfgallery.com

Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: will

Still recovering from a surprise 50th birthday party my wife of 26 years threw me 2 weeks ago. She used to teach adult ed, now looking for something else. I'm a health care consultant (Medicare/Medicaid) to nursing homes for the last 15 years. Born, raised and still in Baltimore suburbs. Three sons - lost my oldest almost 9 years ago at 16, middle one(21) a senior at U of MD and youngest(19) at community college. Semi-empty nested, but I'm sure they will be back. Sold off everything except the childhood (60's) stuff about 8 years ago. Collect everything Baltimore related, esp. 66 Orioles stuff. Been lurking/learning and occasionaly jabbing the last 2+ years. Bits and pieces of pre-war, but no focus (yet).
William List

Martin - if so inclined, send me an e-mail. Either way, my best to you and your family.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Mike Campbell, You and I share practically the same bio. I too am a 52 year old mortgage banker, married to a wonderfull teacher for 28 years. I have 3 children, the youngest is a senior at the University of Alabama (but I always write War Eagle on his tuition checks). He will be attending graduate school seeking his MBA starting in the Spring, the middle is a first year 5th grade teacher. She graduated from Furman University. My oldest is an artiste, ie, National Merit Scholar/College dropout who followed Phish and String Cheese and moved to Boulder Colorado for 3 years and became a musician and recording engineer, most recently completing the 1 year guitar program at The Collective in New York City, on Daddy's dime. I, like my oldest son, am an artistic minded underachiever. I received my degree in English literature, spent a year in a creative writing MFA program and ended up in the unlikely field of banking. It is not my passion. I too misspent my youth in the rock and roll, surfing, marijuana counter culture. About as radical as I get these days is membership in the Democratic Party. As for collecting, I have always been a compulsive saver/sorter of almost anything. I collected 50s and 60s baseball cards as a youth, started saving complete Topps sets in albums in the early 80s and became a turn of the century card collector by inheritance in 1988 or 1989.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Oh, and JimB, did I meet you at Cochrane's wedding?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

My name is Zach Rice and I live in Columbus, Ohio (Pickerington to be exact). I started collecting vintage baseball cards probably just under five years ago with the goal of getting all of the 1956 Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1956 Topps set. This led me into other things and soon I was a Hall of Fame collector. I am currently at well over half but have recently (past 6-9 months) started to shy away from Hall of Famers and concentrate more on sets and type card collecting on the way. I am currently 31 cards into the second series of the T210 set (84 cards in total) 14 cards into the T209-2 set (222 cards in total), and 6 cards into the 1913 Voskamp's set (20 cards in total). I love collecting cards from esoteric issues, most of the guys very few people have even heard of let alone think a card of them exists. I also enjoy collecting anything related to Earl Moore. He was born where in the town I live in (Pickerington) and later died in a neighboring town.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

BARRY S and JEFF L

1st, if we are really going to get serious about this rendezvous....we should take it off
this great Thread, and start a new Thread on this subject.

OK, Peter Luger's is not a practical meeting place.....my suggestion for "plan B" is a very
fine Greek Restaurant on 20th St.....PERIYALI.

We have eaten there many times and have enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Also, it
is no where near as expensive as Luger's.
An early afternoon get together would be ideal, as it wont be too crowded and if we
are a little "rowdy", the Greeks will not mind.

It isn't a huge place, so an important factor is how many members are we expecting ?

TED Z

Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Ted- Sounds good to me and I'm always game for a little spanikopitas with tziziki (terrible spelling) on top, but not everyone may like Greek food. This is where planning may be difficult. Do you want to start a new thread and then everyone can give food ideas and their schedules?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I'm Eric Brehm, aged 49, married with three teenage children, living in a suburb of Boulder, Colorado. I worked for 20 years as a government consultant and research statistician in the computer engineering field and am now semi-retired.

I re-entered the hobby this year after a 20 year hiatus, and have been working mostly on the 1933 Goudey set, and more recently have taken an interest in T206 as well. I collect cards for enjoyment but also view them as an investment of sorts; I certainly do hope they will hold their value in the coming years.

T206 is particularly impressive to me. I realize that some veteran collectors might harbor a bump in their cranium about the excessive amount of attention that is paid to this particular set, often to the exclusion of all else. But it is what it is. It is to baseball card collecting what Mount Everest is to mountain climbing: it is there, it is big, it is beautiful, it is mysterious, it is the king of its domain, and it is very, very challenging. I can't imagine I would ever be able to collect the whole set but it is fun to work on it anyhow -- the journey in this case being perhaps more important than arriving at the summit.

After 20 years away, I am amazed by how much the hobby has grown, pleased to see the emergence of professional authentication and grading services (not a perfect system, but it certainly makes it easier to buy and sell with confidence), and virtually stunned by the incredible growth in value that has occurred for quality material. I have made some new friends who have been helpful to me, particularly cmoking who has been very generous with his knowledge of the Goudey issues. And I am happy to see that Barry Sloate is still active and doing well -- I always thought among all the hobby people I dealt with years ago that he was about the most honest and decent.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thank you kindly Eric, and somewhere in the deepest recesses of my memory I recall buying a really sharp T206 red Cobb from you when you got out of the hobby in the 1980's. Am I correct?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andrew white

I am a longtime lurker and have only posted a few times but read this board several times a day to pass the time at the ole' workplace

I am 42 and am married with 2 kids and live in Delavan, Wisconsin. My daughter is in the air force working with the NSA in D.C. and my son is a college sophmore. I currently work for a large HR firm that administers benefits for many companies probably including the one you all work for! After high school I decided to forget about college and instead took a job with the Chicago Cubs and worked in the front office for 7 years!! I have memories I will never forget but somehow think I should have gone to school now that I am older.

I have collected since I was 8 years old and my 1st memories are of buying 1973 Topps baseball for a nickle a pack on clearance at the Ben Franklin!. My friends in school all knew I collected and many gave me cards from their attics....52 Topps, Playballs etc. I stated doing card shows in my area in 1981 before they were popular and people could not believe I would pay them for the shopping bags full of cards they had sitting in their attic. I had almost complete runs of Topps sets from 1955 to the present as well as many pre war and post war cards. I have since sold that collection....bought back a good part of it and sold it off once again. (kids get expensive) I have owned a card shop and closed it!! I am now trying to decide where I am going to go from here.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for this board. You have all given me insight as to the hobby that i did not have previously. Most if not all of you are a breath of fresh air in this hobby world. Someday when I grow up I want to be just like you all!! Even Jay!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Andrew- very sincere sentiments, but don't grow up just like me!!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

BARRY

Sorry guy, but 1st, I'm just too far away from NYC to try to organize a get-together in the city,
sometime in Nov. And 2nd, even if I wanted to, as you know it would be impossible for me to do
so for a while.

TED Z

Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Anybody want to email me with an idea about the best way to do this? I think Manhattan may be a little better geographically than Brooklyn, but who wants to join in, when is everybody free, and what is the best type of restaurant that would work for all? I happen to love sushi, but no way we are going to get everyone to a sushi restaurant. Anybody with ideas please get off an email to me. Hopefully it won't get too complicated.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

Barry -- yes, you remember correctly. When I was ready to sell the last few cards I had in my collection (I was buying a house in Colorado at the time, and just starting a family) I called on you. I knew I would get a fair price. While I was collecting (1984-1986) I remember buying cards from you at Willow Grove, Pennsylvania and some of the other major shows that were the showcase hobby events of those times. Look forward to more business in the future.

Regards,
Eric

Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

Barry--

What is your e-mail address? I tried to send you a message re dinner but it wouldn't go through. Mark

Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

bsloate@att.net

Old 11-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Ted Z.: if it is simply a geographical thing, I could hook up with you however, for a city run. Plus Id like to meet some of the fellows and Greek is fine, so long as we don't have to sit facing away from the table.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: greg

Hello Everyone,
Greg Theberge from Rhode Island here. 45 year old Periodontist, happily married for the past 14 years to my beautiful wife Karen, and proud dad to our daughter, Kaitlyn, who was born in Korea. Avid, rabid, BoSox fan (as is my wife) who made a deal with the devil two years ago and still can't believe we saw our team go all the way that year. Theoretically I'm supposed to be happy with that one win for the rest of my life....

I primarily collect pre-1920 memorabilia from the Red Sox when it can be found for a reasonable (??) price (although we do have a base from game two of the '04 Series as a momento of times spent that year).
Although I tend to have a preference for larger items that display well such as programs, pennants and pins of all sorts, I tend to pick up cards every now and then when they are affordable. I greatly enjoy reading the posts on this forum and wish I had more knowledge on the hobby so I could contribute more.

Became interested in pre-war basebell as an offshoot to a hobby that I have shared with my dad for the past thirty years - collecting pre-prohibition (i.e. 1920, the year that booze became illegal and the Babe went to NY - to a brewer no less) brewery memorabilia from the state of Rhode Island (some of which is baseball and Red Sox related). Most of our collection is composed of one of a kind examples. Other hobbies include researching and reenacting the American Revolution, a hobby that I've slowed down in since becoming old and lazy.
Thanks! Great thread.
Greg

My crew at the Boston Rolling Rally Parade

Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George

My contract does not allow me to divulge my age. However, I did see the Brooklyn Dodgers play in Ebbets Field and I did see the New York Giants play in the Polo Grounds. And I do remember Red Barber broadcasting the Dodgers games and Mel Allen doing the Yankees, when PeeWee Reese and Phil Rizzuto were the shortstops. (Reese was better.)

Like Ted Zanidakis, I am a Senior Electronic Engineer, although, unlike Ted, I am not retired. In recent years I have designed circuits for satellites and space probes, including the Mars rovers and the Huygens probe, which went to Saturn. I have a few patents, and others pending, including some related to lithium ion batteries.

I am an avid baseball fan, and a member of SABR. I have played baseball forever, although my skills are now fading. My teams have played in tournaments in Cooperstown for many years, and I am very proud to have hit nine home runs in Doubleday Field in these games.

I collected baseball cards as a kid. I still have all of them, and they are the nucleus of my collection. I discovered T206 cards when I was in the Army, stationed at Fort Dix, and went to Philadelphia on a weekend pass. For some reason (was it fate?), I wandered into an antique store, found a shoebox full of T206's, and bought about 100 of them, mostly HOFers, for forty dollars. I was certain I was grossly overcharged, but figured I was entitled to the extravagance. Not until many years later did I discover what the cards were, that other people collected them, and that they were somewhat valuable.

My favorite cards today are my T206 Eddie Plank, which is ungraded but might be a 5 or 6 if it were graded, and my 1951 Bowman PeeWee Reese, which was my first card. If the Reese were graded it would be a 0 (if that grade exists). I now have almost every card from 1950-1962, and almost complete sets of T205 and T206. I also collect other T and N cards, including baseball and non-sports.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Holstein

My name is Paul Holstein. I am 40 years old, am married to Robyn, who is mildly supportive of my addiction and I have two children - Paulie (2 years 5 months) and Casey (she is 11 months old).

I have collected cards on and off since I was 9 years old. However, Leon is personally responsible for my interest in vintage cards. About five years ago, I found Leon's website on the internet and called him up to purchase a card. He was incredibly helpful, spoke to me on the telephone for a long time, and directed me to some great resources. He told me about this board and the rest is history.

I have been an attorney for about 16 years and am currently general counsel for a federal agency.

I collect mostly Ed Reulbach cards (I have most except for a Helmar Stamp, Plow Boy Tobacco, T215, Rose Company Postcard, and a Piedmont Art stamp), Chicago Cub postcards, and deadball era postcards.

I have done deals with many of the board members, but I only post a couple times a month. I hope I can meet some of you in the future.

Paul

Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

I began collecting rare cards in pristine condition in 1977.

I was quite fortunate that two years after I began collecting to
meet Sir Edward Wharton Tigar. Sir Edward was the foremost
card researcher who ever lived. He authored five books on
card collecting, and his own collection included over 20,000
top condition tobacco cards.

We first met while we were indepdently conducting research
in the private Print Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
I then visited his flat in London on several occassions.

His collection and vast knowledge served as a plaform for my
collecting strategy. Only focus on the best quality material
in top condition. Thus our first $500+ purchases included
a Four Base Hit (now graded PSA 6) and Just So Chewing Tobacco.

We acquired these treasures from a young ambitious high
school senior named Rob Lifson. They still reside in our collection.

I live alone in Manhattan on the Upper East side on the east river
Business interests include a small M&A consulting and advisory
firm and directorships of two private equity funds.

Have been attempting to interest several fellow members of
the Wharton Hedge Fund Group (they manage over $10 billion)
to take a major position in rare baseball cards.

Best,

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List