NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default what am i missing here

Posted By: john/z28jd

Im glad i dont need that ever elusive Evers,chicago sovereign 350 back because this one is too low grade for my collection,imagine what a vg would go for

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86837&item=5148499238&rd=1

looks like the underbidder settled for a sweet caporal version in the same shape like this one from the same seller for just a little less

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86837&item=5148499433&rd=1

Old 12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Neither of those ID's bid on baseball cards, this is a blatant SHILL!

Old 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

Looks like neither has a history of buying vintage. I don't buy the SHILL theory here. It was only on the one card (out of the 12 or so T206 he had going)and those bids were made days before the auction closed. The Sovereign is in better shape, but there had to be another reason. I'm thrilled to get the Christy for under $60. Now I have all three!

Old 12-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Congrats on Christy #3

Whether it was shill or not,that sovereign back in that shape shouldnt have reached $50,its an obvious psa1.

The price of the other card is more in line.It reminds me of the time i was trying to get a Mickey Mantle day program on ebay from 1968.I bid $77 figuring i would win and someone outbid me,the next week i got a nicer one with an autograph from Babe Ruths wife(which i believe to be legit comparing to others and she was in attendance as a guest of the Yankees)...that final price was $29

I think it was 2 people bidding to make sure they won and one person ended up overpaying

Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Blatant shill.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Dan, why shill one card???? and who did the shilling? If either guy was shilling, they would have stopped after their first bid was surpassed. both guys got beat over $120. Makes no sense to try to squeeze anymore $$$ out of the card at that point.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Every once in a while you see two people battle it out for something - it could be some of the most ridiculous irrational bidding you've seen but two people just happen to really want it. Too bad that doesn't happen to my auctions. I'd love to get 2x, 3x or even 5x what an item's worth because someone really wants something - really bad.

I guess what makes things really interesting is when you have high $$$ vintage items up for bid and the highest bids are coming from people that have never shown an interest in vintage material in the past.
About the only auctions I'll keep away from are those with PRIVATE bidders. I understand that, perhaps, some people would like to remain anonymous but hey this is ebay were talking about here.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

both guys got beat over $120

There were only 2 bidders total, how did both guys get beat??

Old 12-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

what am i missing here part 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5149923473&rd=1

I have a vg example of this card i paid 15 bucks for, and that included shipping,about 2 years ago....so why is this GOOD card going for 73 bucks

Old 12-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i opened the bidding on this item at 25, there was a buy it now for 45 at the time and i hoped to get it for less. these people are obviously morons

Old 12-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Throw out the book on caramel cards. The market is superheated.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Dan, i was just saying if someone was shill bidding, they would have known the true value of the card and not keep bidding once the value reached a certain point, risking being the final bidder in a potential high sale. Both guys beat each other with bids over $120. If I was a shill bidder, and I knew the card was worth $45, why would I keep shilling when it reached $120??? Doesn't make sense.

I agree it was two people who just wanted the card for some reason or another.

It happened to me last week, I put up a Hudson, Zito, Mulder triple jersey card when Hudson and Mulder were traded. The card books for like $25, but sold for well over $60 because two guys really wanted it. Paid for my GAI 1 Christy!

Old 12-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Administrator

.... this is a e90 common graded a 2. I have an sgc40 Criger and Bill Bailey,and a Roy Hartzell,fielding that should grade vg....if anyone wants them for just 1 1/2 times the price of this GOOD let me know,ill cover shipping

Its not like the card might grade higher,it has a crease and paper loss on front,thats always a 2 tops to me.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Administrator

John, that's great! LOL! you'd be a saint to let them go for JUST 150% of their value! HAHA!

I think what we're seeing here is that during the Holidays, price guides go out the window. Money is no object, and people will pay whatever just to get what they want.

Happy Christmas Eve!

Old 12-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks Ray,its the least i could do around this time of year. Im willing to part with my cards for 109.50 each just to help out fellow collectors :-D

Just to prove im a little crazy,i have a e90 Rebel Oakes that i wouldnt sell for that much and its not as nice as the Bailey or Criger

Does anyone have the book[since most people throw out the books on caramel cards] could they tell me[and the board] what the actual value of a vg e90 common is according to scd

Old 12-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dizzydean

I had overbid the loser of this auction on an Evers (w/ bat - Chicago) Sovereign 350 SGC 40 (from another seller) just three days prior. The final price was a good bit less than the eventual price of the GAI 1. I guess losing that first auction really pissed them off and they didn't want to lose the next one. I noticed the ridiculously high bids on the GAI 1 early on and watched it with rapt attention for sheer entertainment value alone -- better than most network TV.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

High prices bring out supply