NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks Doug & Lance...considering the otherwise crappy day I'm having, your feedback is GREATLY appreciated. FWIW, I scanned the photo in the top loader it was sent to me...the condition of the top loader is not the best and the photo is a bit nicer than it is showing in the scan. Chase fascinates me and I was pretty surprised I got the photo for that little...I was willing to go to $75...at what point would this have gone from "nice pickup" to "you could have bought a few of these for what you paid?" Thanks again...the learning continues...Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Graig Kreindler

Matt,

I agree with both Lance and Doug. No matter what the Type, it's a marvelous image of the Prince Hal. Well done.

Graig
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default 4.16.12 Game Used 2nd Base...

Yankee Stadium April 16, 2012 Game Used 2nd Base.

Game between the Yankees and the Twins. Derek Jeter career hits 3104 and 3105. Including 1st inning back to back home runs by Jeter and Granderson.

Not vintage, but still pretty sweet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.16.12 Game Used 2nd Base.jpg (72.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg 4.16.12 Ticket Stub.jpg (63.6 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (50.9 KB, 385 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Scott

Love the variety of pickups. Well, I don't get much for me anymore, esp now, due to a layoff, but just got this. Just WANTED it, and I think its SO COOL. now, need to pay some money back. Look for my sale stuff

Anyways, PRE MINOR LEAGUE MICKEY paper. not cheap, but hey, y ou only go around once. Guy said he had a few from the town, now gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantlebaxter.JPG (70.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg mantlebaxter2.JPG (76.7 KB, 348 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Love the variety of pickups. Well, I don't get much for me anymore, esp now, due to a layoff, but just got this. Just WANTED it, and I think its SO COOL. now, need to pay some money back. Look for my sale stuff

Anyways, PRE MINOR LEAGUE MICKEY paper. not cheap, but hey, y ou only go around once. Guy said he had a few from the town, now gone.
Wow, very cool...very unique. Other than maybe a high shcool yearbook I don't recall ever seeing an embryonic Mantle piece like that....So you got it private party?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default The babe

I have made a couple great additions to my photo collection this month. The most recent photo is pictured below.

1918 TYPE 1 Photo of the Babe

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
qualitycards

Ben that's an awesome shot of the Babe, Congrats on the pickup!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Ben that's an awesome shot of the Babe, Congrats on the pickup!
+1 Super pickup, Ben!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Wow, very cool...very unique. Other than maybe a high shcool yearbook I don't recall ever seeing an embryonic Mantle piece like that....So you got it private party?
No, ebay. A Guy from MO had a few I guess at one time, This was his last one. I really like it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I have made a couple great additions to my photo collection this month. The most recent photo is pictured below.

1918 TYPE 1 Photo of the Babe

Great photo. Legendary is offering the same one in their next auction claiming its from 1919, but theirs doesn't look to be Type I.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
Great photo. Legendary is offering the same one in their next auction claiming its from 1919, but theirs doesn't look to be Type I.
Thanks gents.

Jake, thanks for pointing this out.

I will need to do some more research. The auction I bought it from said 1918..but there is no def date stamp.

The legendary one is interesting.. If it was a type 1, I would think they would psa it like they do most of the high end photos. The later stamp is not period but that could have been done later. The question is, was the date and description on the top added later than that date(1919)?
This is why psa is very helpful with online auctions as it relates to photos. You cannot tell by only the scans many times. If it is a type 1 and I was the consigner, I would not be very happy as it could cost him/her thousands.

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Thanks gents.

I will need to do some more research. The auction I bought it from said 1918..but there is no def date stamp.

The legendary one is interesting.. If it was a type 1, I would think they would psa it like they do most of the high end photos. The later stamp is not period but that could have been done later. The question is, was the date and description on the top added later than that date(1919)?
This is why psa is very helpful with online auctions as it relates to photos. You cannot tell by only the scans many times. If it is a type 1 and I was the consigner, I would not be very happy as it could cost him/her thousands.
Looking at both photos I like yours better but I'm no expert other than knowing the basics. I agree that if it were a true Type I, you'd think they wouldve sent it to PSA. Their description however is saying its original.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 AM

ben- nice ruth pic. is that a block letter model bat? hard to read.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Thanks gents.

If this is the one from SCP, I think the International News back stamp seems to indicate it should be Type I: Link
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
ben- nice ruth pic. is that a block letter model bat? hard to read.
Thanks..I am not sure as the scan you see is the only one I have. I will let you know when I receive it. I am assuming this will help determine the date?

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-23-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Thanks mike. I am not sure as the scan you see is the only one I have. I will let you know when I receive it. I am assuming this will help determine the date?
I was actually interested in bidding on this photo in Legendary until I saw yours. I think you have the Type I. Legendary's looks a bit more pristine and based on the more modern stampings, it's screaming Type II. Their description is a bit ambiguous. And as discussed, the fact that they haven't PSAed it, lends credence to the Type II.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
I was actually interested in bidding on this photo in Legendary until I saw yours. I think you have the Type I. Legendary's looks a bit more pristine and based on the more modern stampings, it's screaming Type II. Their description is a bit ambiguous. And as discussed, the fact that they haven't PSAed it, lends credence to the Type II.
I believe you are correct sir. I would think Legendary is smart enought to slab something like this if it was a type 1 and also "smart" enough not to when it is something else Personally.. I would pass on the Legendary photo unless they guarantee a type 1. Unless you do not care about a type 1 distinction..in that case, just DON'T pay type 1 money..

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
I believe you are correct sir. I would think Legendary is smart enought to slab something like this if it was a type 1 and also "smart" enough not to when it is something else Personally.. I would pass on the Legendary photo unless they guarantee a type 1. Unless you do not care about a type 1 distinction..in that case, just pay type 1 money..
Yes, I will be running for zee hills away from this lot. And yes, the Type I distinction means a lot.

Congrats on getting the real deal Holyfield. It would be nice if it turned out to be a 1918 shot to boot.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Ben Martin

I picked up two pictures of a local high school football team from 1915 and 1916. They are from Galax, VA if anyone is interested in where they come from. The 1916 photo has the players names written in the back. Although I am unsure of what order they are in. I plan on having these framed up and displaying them in my room.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM
George

Very nice pickups everyone! I have dangerously extended my collection into 20th century supplements with this one...the condition is amazing and now by far my favorite item! All it needs now is a nice frame to go with it.

1909 Tigers and Pirates World Series Game One Supplement to the Index - Pittsburgh's Illustrated Weekly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909 tigers pirates supplement.jpg (20.8 KB, 198 views)
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Phil Garry

Nice pick-up, George. I went after that one moderately before settling on the 1909 Pirates Carl Horner composite supplement in Heritage.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
George

Thanks Phil! You are far from 'settling' with that Horner composite...it's beautiful and from what I recall, it was in overall VG condition. Many of the ones that I have seen either have tears or have turned orange from what I assume is sun exposure. Very nice pickup!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks, George. Here's what mine looks like.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DreyfussBarney1909.jpg (80.8 KB, 332 views)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Skip

Default Henry Kimbro image

sm100.jpg
The image of Henry Kimbro in a Baltimore Elite Giants uniform was probably taken at Nashville's Sulphur Dell. Two thoughts come to mind: the Elite Giants were in Nashville for spring training (not unusual at all) or the image was taken of Kimbro in his Elite Giants uniform in his home town ballpark...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

First off, GREAT Kimbro image! The Elite Giants were originally from Nashville, moving to Columbus and Washington before settling in Baltimore. The owner Tom Wilson was from Nashville and continued to live there even though his team did not. The Elites played in Nashville often in exhibition games and spent some spring training time there as well every year.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
Attachment 64441
The image of Henry Kimbro in a Baltimore Elite Giants uniform was probably taken at Nashville's Sulphur Dell. Two thoughts come to mind: the Elite Giants were in Nashville for spring training (not unusual at all) or the image was taken of Kimbro in his Elite Giants uniform in his home town ballpark...First off, GREAT Kimbro image! The Elite Giants were originally from Nashville, moving to Columbus and Washington before settling in Baltimore. The owner Tom Wilson was from Nashville and continued to live there even though his team did not. The Elites played in Nashville often in exhibition games and spent some spring training time there as well every year.
Gary and SKip, Thanks for the information. The reverse of the photo bears a photograhers stamp from Nashville which is consistent with your research.

I went to the Mariners Angels game tonight and stopped by the team shop. They were having a sale of Game Used Lineup Cards for 50.00. I have always wanted one but never got around to purchasing one for my collection. I searched through the stack and picked one from Sept 24, 2008 because it was a game that Felix Hernandez pitched and Ichiro, Guerrero, Hunter, Anderson, and Teixeira played. My picking this card was basically arbitrary. I saw Frankie Rodriguez appeared in the game so I knew that Felix lost or didn’t get a decision but I really didn’t care. I thought it was a cool cheap item for my collection. When I got home I went online to check the box score. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the lineup card was from K-Rods record 62nd save. Although it's not a vintage item I am very pleased to add it to my mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K-Rod_62nd_Save.jpg (80.0 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by 71buc; 05-25-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Gary and SKip, Thanks for the information. The reverse of the photo bears a photograhers stamp from Nashville which is consistent with your research.

I went to the Mariners Angels game tonight and stopped by the team shop. They were having a sale of Game Used Lineup Cards for 50.00. I have always wanted one but never got around to purchasing one for my collection. I searched through the stack and picked one from Sept 24, 2008 because it was a game that Felix Hernandez pitched and Ichiro, Guerrero, Hunter, Anderson, and Teixeira played. My picking this card was basically arbitrary. I saw Frankie Rodriguez appeared in the game so I knew that Felix lost or didn’t get a decision but I really didn’t care. I thought it was a cool cheap item for my collection. When I got home I went online to check the box score. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the lineup card was from K-Rods record 62nd save. Although it's not a vintage item I am very pleased to add it to my mess.
Mike,
That's a heck of a pickup for $50. Congrats on that!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Mike, would you mind telling me the name from the photographer's stamp? The image of the unnamed player which I posted is from the same location in Sulphur Dell (based on the similar Norvell &Wallace signs on the outfield wall in both images) as the Kimbro one. Mine is from local photographer Bob Grannis. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
Mike, would you mind telling me the name from the photographer's stamp? The image of the unnamed player which I posted is from the same location in Sulphur Dell (based on the similar Norvell &Wallace signs on the outfield wall in both images) as the Kimbro one. Mine is from local photographer Bob Grannis. Thanks!
The stamp is from John E Hood Photos and the photographer's name is Norris Collins. Beneath the names the stamp states Professional Photographers 12th at Broad Nashville 3,Tenn.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Just got this nice seat from Comiskey Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comiskeyseat.jpg (75.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg comiskeyplaque.jpg (78.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Mikeknapp

Congrats on the nice Comisky chair. I have one as well and noticed the plaque on yours. Did it come with that attached or did you add it? If so where did you obtain it?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

It was on there but I see them on Ebay alot. Do a search for stadium seat plaque and I'm sure some will show up. Just email the guy selling them I'm sure he has the Comiskey one also.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

This arrived yesterday. I have owned a couple of the red-covered ones and this is just like them, except for the purple cover, which is sort of 3D-ish:

If you collect the '33 Goudey set, I think this is a very nice companion book.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-27-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Max Weder

Very cool Scott. Many of the purple covers were given to players, coaches and others in the game, but I have seen a number that are not so imprinted. here's a copy of the dj

Last edited by baseballart; 05-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thank you Max. I didn't know anything about the purple covers.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Dan Brown

Default Figural Bank

Acquired this piece today from a local auction. It is a cast iron bank. I saw one in Hunt's Auction catalogue from Apr18 2012, but cannot find out how much it sold for. If anyone can supply me with any info on this i would be very appreciative!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Figural Bank 1.jpg (65.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Figural Bank 2.jpg (72.7 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by deebro041; 05-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
This arrived yesterday. I have owned a couple of the red-covered ones and this is just like them, except for the purple cover, which is sort of 3D-ish:

I'm very jealous, Scott...great piece I had hoped to make a bid on...unfortunately I was out that day and forgot to bid! Ugh...enjoy the piece...Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Joe Hunter

Default 1874 London Illustrated Woodcut

Obtained this original Aug 15, 1874 London Illustrated woodcut depicting the game between Boston and Phila. during their World Tour. The woodcut is hand-colored which I like. I believe these may be a little scarcer than the Harper's woodcuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2218.jpg (75.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Obtained this original Aug 15, 1874 London Illustrated woodcut depicting the game between Boston and Phila. during their World Tour. The woodcut is hand-colored which I like. I believe these may be a little scarcer than the Harper's woodcuts.
Very nice Joe. Yes, I agree that the Illustrated London News woodcut is scarcer than the Harper's equivalent. Harper's had nearly 80 baseball woodcuts while ILN only had 2 that I'm aware of...this being one of them. And I guess this is obvious but in general Harper's are more accessible in US vs UK publications such as ILN.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Scott, What is in the book? Why does it go with the goudey set? Are there pictures, content, both?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Barry Sloate

Ben- the Who's Who was issued in 1933, and is comprised of photos and bios of every major league player, manager, coach, front office personal, etc. I would assume every player in the 33 Goudey set is profiled in the book.

And that's a nice copy Scott bought, one which was presented to Lefty O'Doul.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Ben- the Who's Who was issued in 1933, and is comprised of photos and bios of every major league player, manager, coach, front office personal, etc. I would assume every player in the 33 Goudey set is profiled in the book.

And that's a nice copy Scott bought, one which was presented to Lefty O'Doul.
I checked for a few '33 Goudey players the other day, and found some missing (e.g-Bengough), but it does have almost all of them (359 pages in the 'regular' section, which includes managers, and I only found Babe Ruth to have 2 pages). It also has historically 'great' players in the back, and since it's from a 1933 perspective, you'll see a lot of the popular T206 players. The photographs are of very high quality - lots of depth of field in most.

Sorry for the late response - I don't have much time these days for the internet.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM
J@RR0D

On this last day of May, I'll share with you my newest pickup on a project I've been quietly working on:

Major league players out of uniform and wearing bow ties.

Yep, I'm buying up Type I's of my favorite players wearing a bow tie, which I actually wear everyday to work. I have a handful (pics to come) and here is my latest...

Ty Cobb at Yankee Stadium in 1958

Last edited by scmavl; 05-31-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Not a pennant of tremendously high value, but this early-mid 1960s cloth stadium pennant looks way cool. I'm always looking for old minor league pennants, especially those with the traditional stadium graphic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bisons.jpg (76.1 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
On this last day of May, I'll share with you my newest pickup on a project I've been quietly working on:

Major league players out of uniform and wearing bow ties.

Yep, I'm buying up Type I's of my favorite players wearing a bow tie, which I actually wear everyday to work. I have a handful (pics to come) and here is my latest...

Ty Cobb at Yankee Stadium in 1958

I vote THIS for most obscure collecting focus on the board. I think you might be alone in this endeavor (which is definitely a good thing ) Great idea though, and a very cool Cobb photo!

Last edited by perezfan; 05-31-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

I just received this 1936 rookie TYPE 1ny of JOE D. It is even before he had choppers!

Photobucket

Image in "A Portrait of Baseball Photography" pg. 137