NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 08-27-2010, 01:24 PM

Default 1863 & 1870 letters with base ball content and Civil War content

SOLD

Two great base ball related letters. The first one is from 1863 and contains content about the formation of a team and also content about the ongoing Civil War. The second letter makes mention of the Kekionga club and also the Forest City team (with Albert Spalding).

Thanks,
Rob M. (ramram)

1863 Base Ball letter

4 page letter written in period brown (oxidized) ink. Great early mention of the formation of a baseball team, transitioning from the game of cricket, and also great content about the Civil War. The letter starts:

“City of Plymouth Mass. June 22nd ‘63”

In it he writes:

…“Perhaps you may be interested in knowing that “The Plymouth Rock Cricket Club” has been turned into “The Plymouth Rock Base Ball Club” where at “Ben” is quite dissatisfied. Most of us think that rather a better game than Cricket, and we play the New York game.”

Later he adds:

“Last night we rec’d a letter from George saying that in the fight of the 14th inst. at Port Hudson he was struck in the shin two inches above the ankle and was then (the 17th) at New Orleans laid up in the St. James Hospital. Lieut. Fred Holmes was killed. George was hit just as the advance began by a “Minie” and when he wrote its whereabouts had not been discovered. The ball shattered the bone and he was carried to a hospital in the rear. Whence he was removed to New Orleans. On his way there he rode 15 miles in an ambulance and to cap the climax was over set by running against a stump”…

Plus lots of other interesting content. All four pages are filled with writing.

Price of this first letter - $sold

This second letter is also 4 full pages and written in period ink. It makes mention of a couple of amateur teams, including a powerful team of its day (Kekionga) and also one of the very first professional teams, Forest City including Albert Spalding. Ok, they weren’t “officially” a professional team until joining the National Association the next year, but they certainly were playing their top players.

1870 Baseball letter

"Hamilton House July 5th/'70 Dear Father & Mother I don't remember when I wrote you last, but it seems as if we had savage days of scorching weather since. Every one nearly felt quite frustrated with the heat. I had to leave my third story room afternoons, it was altogether too near the sun. There has been rain around us, but none here for some time though it is needed much. The heat is not as offensive this week as it has been as there is more breeze every day. I have not been very well for some time. I think it is the effects of the heat and taking off my flannels, and yesterday spent a very quiet Fourth not going out of the yard all day. John worked in the morning and in the afternoon amused himself taking a nap. The Firemen had a celebration and made a very nice show marching through the streets in uniform with their engines and hose carts decked with flags and flowers. All the railroads brought people in at reduced fare and the city was full of people. There were several picnics and in the evening quite a display of fireworks. The Indianapolis Base ball Club played with the Fort Wayne Club yesterday and were badly beaten. On Friday your Rockford Club play here but the Wayne Club acknowledge that they expect to be vanquished for they are not very scientific players, having lately reorganized. I want to see the fun but, hardly expect so, as the ground is some distance out and there will be such a crowd [Records indicate that on July 4th 1870, the Kekionga team of Ft. Wayne, Indiana beat the Indianapolis, Indiana team 50 to 27. Then on July 8th, the professional Forest City team of Rockford, Illinois defeated the Kekionga 32 to 3].
They have so many applications for boarders since we moved in the new house that today they commenced digging the cellar for a large addition in the rear. It is to be three stories high and I don't exactly know the dimensions on the ground. I don't like it at all, as it closes some of the pleasant indoors and will make a regular mess and racket all summer. I don't know how Mrs. James will endure it for she is growing weak every day. They bring her out in the hall often to get the fresh air, but she does not notice much and is liable to drop off at any minute. Mrs. Episcopal minister boarding in the house reads the prayers for the sick with her almost every day and last Sunday she had her first communion. About two weeks ago, we had a letter from Ned, but he spoke of writing to you at the same time, so you have as late, if not later news from him. I should like to hear from you and if Hart come on the Fourth and if Aunt Clara and ....? have arrived. I wonder if brother Court couldn't take a pen and inform a body of what is going on sometimes. My love to all and much for yourselves with kisses. Ever yours Lana In the right hand corner of the front page it reads: "John wishes to be remembered to you all, though he don't write often, thinks of you a good deal". Four page letter written in period brown ink. Perfect condition.

Price of this second letter - $sold

Plymouth BBC.jpg

1870 Base Ball Letter.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 08-27-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Letters have been sold.

Rob M.