NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Getting sick of the more obvious frauds

This Star Player Cobb card has been on ebay for a while with the following description: "The last SGC 10 (1) sold for $6900 and this card rarely comes up for auction." The seller generously listed it for a huge discount at $5299. Only one problem: the "last" SGC 10 of this card was his purchase 30 days ago for $2629. The $6900 figure is from a sale in 2008.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-Star-Pl...item20d161bb63
Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Brandon

What do you think of this one? Fraud, or just a terrible scanner?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151021973737
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle799 View Post
What do you think of this one? Fraud, or just a terrible scanner?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151021973737
Looks like it spent some time in a washing machine.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
This Star Player Cobb card has been on ebay for a while with the following description: "The last SGC 10 (1) sold for $6900 and this card rarely comes up for auction." The seller generously listed it for a huge discount at $5299. Only one problem: the "last" SGC 10 of this card was his purchase 30 days ago for $2629. The $6900 figure is from a sale in 2008.

Unfortunately finding legit sellers who aren't trying to rip people off or asking a king's go***mn ransom on every single card is getting harder and harder to find in this hobby. It truly is becoming a sad state of affairs. I honestly believe some people think everybody but them are morons who have "no idea" how to research what cards are actually worth and what they've recently sold for. It's actually quite insulting to potential buyers.

I LOVE the guys who JUST purchased cards a few days, few weeks or few months prior then mark it up 200-300% of what they JUST bought it for, lol! I mean seriously.....it's getting old REAL fast.

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: edited cussing
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:

I saw that a week or so ago and thought exactly the same thing. I don't understand sellers like this at all. Blatantly dishonest.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Matt Hall

Buyer beware: A TPG poor grade can mean almost anything... The $6900 card received the same grade but they don't compare... Oh, he doctored the scan too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb player.jpg (31.9 KB, 712 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I'm a post war vintage guy, but see the same thing. I've actually now seen a couple of cards where I was the underbidder showing up here on our B/S/T for three or four times the ebay won price. I don't mind someone trying to make a little profit, but some seem ridiculous...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I'm a post war vintage guy, but see the same thing. I've actually now seen a couple of cards where I was the underbidder showing up here on our B/S/T for three or four times the ebay won price. I don't mind someone trying to make a little profit, but some seem ridiculous...
I've said it many times, I'm all for sellers trying to make a little profit, hell I've been known to be very generous in my offers compared to recent sales on certain cards. But I draw the line when sellers act like an a$$ with me by deliberately asking 2-3 times what a card has been selling for. They think just because they see a couple fluke large price spikes on a couple rare cards here and there in major auction houses, that everybody is a moron now and willing to way overpay for every single card.

It's an annoying trend that's been growing a lot lately not only here but on Ebay as well. It's caused a handful of my former collecting buddies, whom I've known since the late 90's when we all got into vintage cardboard, to completely leave the hobby. Not because they didnt have deep enough pockets (which definitely wasn't the case), it was because they were tired of constantly dealing with unrealistic sellers for every little thing.

Ok rant over........

Last edited by Shoele$$; 04-09-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Personally

I agree with Jeff about lying in descriptions. However those complaining about people's prices, get over it. It's their card if you don't like it maybe you should have outbid them the first time, when they bought it. It's America they have the right to price as they see fit. Do you same people go into the big box stores and complain because you could buy the tv or ipad cheaper on ebay? Ebay isn't really a retail market, it's pricing is sort of a retail/wholesale mixture. Like I said if you dont like someones price make them an offer if they have that option, if not just move on it's only cardboard. Absent lying I don't see why a person cant ask what they want for their card. Also this idea that nothing has ever sold in auction for a fraction of it's value is also laughable. Many times things sell on eBay for 1/2 to 1/3 of value. There's a lot of material and things slip through the cracks.

Last edited by glynparson; 04-09-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
I rescind my post here, apparently my coffee had not kicked in this morning.

My apologies for mixing up the facts.

Last edited by markf31; 04-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Awwww....just love when people out themselves as "those" sellers

Now we all have reference points in which to avoid when it comes time to buy.

Nobody said sellers couldn't "ask what they want" or "rip off who they want" they just shouldn't be surprised when they get no business or are met with no nonsense buyers like myself and many others who have a very low tolerance for bull$hit.

Last edited by Shoele$$; 04-09-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Matt Hall

The description has been changed to remove the BS; however, I personally couldn't call it the highest grade example, if i were selling it. I guess it's not technically a lie, but it's probably the ugliest example in the hobby.

Last edited by Matthew H; 04-09-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Mark Fox

Matt,

I apologize, maybe the coffee had not kicked in this morning yet. I could have sworn that when I checked the serial numbers this morning that the 2008 one matched the one for sale now on Ebay.

It was my mistake.

Last edited by markf31; 04-09-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Getting sick of the more obvious frauds
So you want more less obvious frauds?

Sorry but every time I see this thread bumped into my new posts I think it comes off like you wish people would hide their fraud better.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
So you want more less obvious frauds?

Sorry but every time I see this thread bumped into my new posts I think it comes off like you wish people would hide their fraud better.
Pretty much. At least if you're going to commit a fraud try to be a little less obvious and put more effort into it. Being dishonest and lazy is worse than just being dishonest.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
At least if you're going to commit a fraud try to be a little less obvious and put more effort into it. Being dishonest and lazy is worse than just being dishonest.
I like this.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default More Scams....

Speaking of frauds, or in this case potential fraud. I just don't get it. You know this will be used for some potential scam.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honus-Wagner...p2047675.l2557

I just don't understand... This will probably be used to deceive some poor sap...
It's even in a psa/sgc hybrid China case. They are promoting this "reprint" to be a great alternative to the real thing. Sure, whatever that's fine. The buyers for this? Probably scammers...

My question is why put it in a fake holder? It's advertised as a reprint but I believe the underlying purpose of these particular cards is to screw someone over... Just makes me mad.

I don't know if I'm overreacting because I've been scammed before soooo... All I know is it is a very heartbreaking experience which even led me to stop collecting. I just don't want someone to go through something like that. Luckily, I recovered ( even though it was 10 years later).

Forgive me for the venting...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman7baseball View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honus-Wagner...p2047675.l2557

This will probably be used to deceive some poor sap...
It's even in a psa/sgc hybrid China case. They are promoting this "reprint" to be a great alternative to the real thing. Sure, whatever that's fine. The buyers for this? Probably scammers...

My question is why put it in a fake holder? It's advertised as a reprint but I believe the underlying purpose of these particular cards is to screw someone over
Colby,

At first blush, these "cards" seem (to me, at least) to come right from a fraudster's toolbox, complete with suspect holders. Admittedly, I did not drill down into the fine details; however, completely agree with your point.

These things will wind up being part of a scam someday.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyball1 View Post
well...... i seldom post and really know better than to wade into the swamp, but i think this thread and a lot of others of late have turned a bit ugly not due to things like language, but rather attitude, arrogance and lack of tolerance for others' view....phew, this should get me roasted from all sides

jim frey
Hey Jim, well said, you should post more.