NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Dave_Berg

+1, where are the veteran members?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Bumping this to the top because I believe this is a serious issue that should be discussed at length. PSA is, "fixing" cards. How does this not warrant serious discussion?
Agreed. Somebody needs to show this thread to Joe Orlando and demand an explanation.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
How this is not the most controversial and talked about post of the year is beyond me. PSA received a damaged card and altered ( repaired) it so it would have the appearance of a high grade. Is this being swept under the rug? Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Bumping this to the top because I believe this is a serious issue that should be discussed at length. PSA is, "fixing" cards. How does this not warrant serious discussion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
+1, where are the veteran members?
It is surprising this isn't being discussed any further, but at the same time, I understand those who have many PSA high end graded cards, would likely like this to just disappear?

Last edited by irv; 10-04-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Ben W.hitener

I emailed the top brass at PSA last Monday. Haven't heard back yet...
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

The pic of the corner looks like two different cards to me . I can't believe something like this but now you gotta ask how many times has this happened .
Old 10-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
The pic of the corner looks like two different cards to me . I can't believe something like this but now you gotta ask how many times has this happened .
It's definitely the same card. The customer service manager told me what they did to "fix" it.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
It's definitely the same card. The customer service manager told me what they did to "fix" it.
Lol not saying it isn't it just looks different in the two examples. I've had my own issues with psa so I don't doubt that they just run encase theses card as fast as possible. With little to no care .
Old 10-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Ben W.hitener

I wish it were a different card that was a True 8!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Ben W.hitener

Default update

I thought I would let the members who were interested in this post know that I just got off the phone with Joe O. and he gave me an explanation as to how the bend occurred and why it was fixed.

He told me how the bend more than likely happened and told me how rare this actually occurs. He was really cool about the whole thing and like many of you guys assumed said that it was probably caused by the "booming" process (human error) when they sonically seal the card. Human error was to blame and he said PSA grades anywhere from 120k-150k cards a month, so sometimes mistakes do occur.

He said most of the time the mistakes during the sealing process lead to a noticeably crimped card where PSA will then buy back the card from the original submitter, but that this specific bend was different. The only reason they were able to push the paper back down was because there was no break in the paper, therefor no bend was left in the paper when it was pressed back down.

He was irritated that the eBay seller wouldn't take the card back, and asked me for his contact info as well, because he said a reputable seller would have known to take the card back and then deal directly with PSA.

To wrap it up... he said PSA would buy the card back or let me keep it as an 8. I told him I would take it back since they stood behind the grade but he said that at anytime in the future if I wasn't comfortable with it that they would buy it back.

For me, at least, they provided a reasonable explanation and I'm not concerned that this happens on a frequent basis. Thanks to Bob for providing me contact info. Jackie was extremely nice and professional to deal with.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
I thought I would let the members who were interested in this post know that I just got off the phone with Joe O. and he gave me an explanation as to how the bend occurred and why it was fixed.

He told me how the bend more than likely happened and told me how rare this actually occurs. He was really cool about the whole thing and like many of you guys assumed said that it was probably caused by the "booming" process (human error) when they sonically seal the card. Human error was to blame and he said PSA grades anywhere from 120k-150k cards a month, so sometimes mistakes do occur.

He said most of the time the mistakes during the sealing process lead to a noticeably crimped card where PSA will then buy back the card from the original submitter, but that this specific bend was different. The only reason they were able to push the paper back down was because there was no break in the paper, therefor no bend was left in the paper when it was pressed back down.

He was irritated that the eBay seller wouldn't take the card back, and asked me for his contact info as well, because he said a reputable seller would have known to take the card back and then deal directly with PSA.

To wrap it up... he said PSA would buy the card back or let me keep it as an 8. I told him I would take it back since they stood behind the grade but he said that at anytime in the future if I wasn't comfortable with it that they would buy it back.

For me, at least, they provided a reasonable explanation and I'm not concerned that this happens on a frequent basis. Thanks to Bob for providing me contact info. Jackie was extremely nice and professional to deal with.
That is all very well, and I do understand that things happen, but if I were to submit a card like that, there is no way it would receive an 8, that I am aware of?

I am sure, if you disclose this info when you decide to sell, you won't receive "8" prices, but if you are OK with that or have no plans to sell, then, like you did, just keep the card.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Ben W.hitener

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I am sure, if you disclose this info when you decide to sell, you won't receive "8" prices, but if you are OK with that or have no plans to sell, then, like you did, just keep the card.
Yea, no plans to sell, but at least Joe told me that if I ever feel uncomfortable with the decision to keep it that PSA would buy it back.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

In light of current events I thought this thread was worth another look. See especially post 35.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2019 at 05:27 AM.