NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Alex

Default Joy of Collecting

Recently I've been going through a stage in my collecting career, thinking if this is really for me. I love collecting, but I feel like I need to focus on school and my life in general, I spend to much time collecting cards. I wanted to see what some people have done to get through this stage or how people minimized the impact collecting has in there lives.

I never expected to collect when I was older, I'm in High School and cannot see how I will live without them. I was thinking about narrowing down my collecting interests to something specific, but thats hard to do because there are just so many things to like about collecting. Maybe some people have taken a break before, I'm afraid to because I feel like I will miss something that I have been searching for at an auction or on ebay.

I know this is probably a boring read for many of you, but I just want to hear how collectors have continued to collect, and have survived through the struggles. Such as having to sell off your collection or losing interest among numerous of other reasons. Thanks for any input on this topic ahead of time.

Alex

Last edited by xanderthegreat35; 11-24-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default there is time

Many, many people take breaks and come back. I think this subject is definitely personal to each person and each person has to make their own decisions on priorities and so forth. Many folks have sold stuff because they have had to for whatever reason. If there is a chance they want to come back we usually advise them to only sell things that are fairly replaceable. You being so young have plenty of time. You can easily take a break and come back, and quite honestly, you might want to look at your priorities and see where collecting fits. Maybe you are just putting more time into it, relative to other things that might be important to your long career ahead of you, than you really should be. This is a really good question though and I am going to move it to the front page to solicit some more responses. best regards
Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I'm 22, but I started collecting when I was 16. Once I was in college I took a break, because I just didn't have time to focus on collecting regularly. Still kept my collection, because I knew I would eventually get back to it. Once I graduated and landed a job, I went back and don't plan on stopping until I retire!

It's tough collecting in high school and college - it costs money to go out with friends and usual jobs have low pay. I had an internship with pretty decent pay and I still was usually broke. But once you have a full time job and you are older, I feel you are able to appreciate collecting more. In fact, I think the "golden years" of collecting should be the years after college and before you start a family. Probably have a ton of extra money to spend!

Pete

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Steven

For me, and Im nearly 35 and started when I was 7, sometimes I need a break. This is usually pertaining to life and looking at my priorities. I completely understand fearing missing a card you've been looking for...I always felt the cards I was intended to own will find their way to me one way or another.

This is a personal topic and we all do things differently. BUT, if youre feeling this way in HIgh school, imagine what its like when you have to work a 70 hr week, married and have kids at home. I feel perspective is good thing and a break away from the auction block is my best way to find that. Perspective is more important to me than any bb card...that was almost painful to type.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

I don't think you're missing anything if you choose to get out of the hobby - it will be here when you return. As Leon can attest, I have been promising to get back into the hobby for 6-7 years, but didn't do anything collecting-wise until very recently. I don't feel I missed too much.

There are more auctions than ever and I'm probably having more fun. The cards I always liked the most (T-cards) are just as affordable. The hobby participants are actually even more interesting than I remember. Also, since you're quite young - it's probably that you'll be in better financial position when you return to the hobby, and more $$$ means more flexibility buying what you want. Any increases in prices won't mean as much to you.

One thing I would recommend - pick a few of your favorite more valuable cards and don't get rid of them. Just put them away, perhaps a few of the more valuable HOF'ers that you really like.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
One thing I would recommend - pick a few of your favorite more valuable cards and don't get rid of them. Just put them away, perhaps a few of the more valuable HOF'ers that you really like.
Definitely...
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Reg

I started collecting when I was 13, I was working in a card shop and was paid with cards till I was 16.. I managed to get some pretty nice cards (mantle, maris, etc) since I had first dibs on anything that was brought in.

I've always liked the older cards and started buying groups of 50s and 60s. Later on (in my 20s) I sold off every 50s and 60s card I had and bought high grade T206s when I was in my late 20s and in my early 30s I sold everything to buy a house among other things.

I took a break for 6 years and am now just getting back into the T206s. The thing I struggle with the most in now the 6s, 7s and 8s I had are now priced so high I have a hard time justifying the price! I know people are paying these prices but I just can't seem to drop 500+ on a T206 7 when I could of bought them all day long for 200.. I now wonder if it's worth getting back into knowing I'll never have the cards I did without dropping some big $$$ I've been buying lower grade cards but sadly it just not the same... Hmmm what to do????
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Zach

I started in the late 80s/early 90s. Lost interest in 92 then returned in 95. I lost interest again in 96 in high school. Once I got out of college and got a real job I went back to it last year. I discovered the reason I lost interest before is I was not digging the newer cards, I always wanted the vintage cards but could not afford them. Being young and collecting is hard, so a break or discovering what you really want is sometimes best. For me my calling was HOF vintage cards.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Hi Alex,

I started collecting when I was 7. I'm now 43; married, two kids, a growing business to run - essentially more responsibilties than I have ever had. At least partially because of my busy life, I enjoy the hobby more than ever - it's a great escape from the daily grind!

I've have had several times when I stepped away from the hobby for a break - most of high school, college and my early days starting a career. I would not advise selling any cards at your age unless you are in a cash crunch. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I kept my cards. If you are as into the hobby as it sounds, you'll most likely be active again in the hobby thoughout your life. Set them aside take a break if and when you need one.

Keep balance and perspective, there are times when you have to miss an auction or show because you have other responsibilities. I can guarantee you, there will always be more! Hopefully this rambling post helps you somehow.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Fred

Hey Alex,

I've been collecting since I was a kid. When I was getting ready for college I still had an interest in it but I sold EVERYTHING I had to help pay for things when I moved out to go to school. During that post high school period I thought about cards a little bit. I'd buy a pack at the store every once in a while (basically only Topps cards to chose from back then - none of those stupid chase cards). I'd talk cards to a few people that new anything about them but I wouldn't go out to shows or looks for anything. After I got my first job I was actually making money that I could spend on cards and things like that. I'd pick up all the vintage stuff I couldn't afford to pick up when I was younger. Every now and then I'd go through periods of time where I wasn't buying much (or at all). It's like this stuff is in my blood, it will never truly leave my system. If you put off collecting while your in college then you'll always have the opportunity to get back into it. Just don't make the same mistake I did. DON'T sell everything you have to subsidize your schooling. One thing I really regretted selling were all the Joss cards I had. I used to collect Joss before he made it to the HOF. Yup, lots of T and E cards and a couple of T205s of him...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

For a while, as has happened to many, I flat out lost interest in my late teens early 20's, and then started up again. Given my timing in the hobby, it may not have been due to my age, but rather the state of the hobby in the mid-late 90's that diminished my interest at the time. Who knows?

Anyways, things are a little different for you. The hobby is a completely different ball-game(no pun intented) now, with ebay and everything, than it was then. Well, since you are in school, you could always study the hobby, and use it to your advantage to make a few bucks. Basically, turn it into a part time job, making some money for school or whatever, on top of adding to your collection. Make sure that School and your life always come first and foremost though. If you can find the right balance, you will not only grow up to have your sh*t together, you will also have a great hobby/secondary source of income..

Last edited by novakjr; 11-24-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:10 PM

Default School Versus Collecting

I don't see why you can't do both - in moderation. Put school first and reward your hard work (i.e. achieving a specified academic goal) on a short term basis with a card acquisition. Set your limits regarding time spent on collecting and reading about the hobby and have the perseverance to stick to it.

Z Wheat
Old 11-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Tony Ooten

Alex,

I imagine that some folks are wired in such a way that they fall into the trap of near-obsession when they develop a new habit (hobby in this case). I'm looking in a mirror as I type this. If that is you, I suggest that you stop collecting at this stage in your life. It's too easy to "check out a web page for a minute" and have that minute turn into an hour or two. Your eductation and/or career development, not to mention your personal and relationship development is of course hugely more important than your collection.

If you do have that obsessive personality and you still want to collect, maybe you can focus your obsession on meeting a very very strict budget and time constraint (only work on your collection between 6 am and 8 am on saturday and sunday mornings for example). Make your obsessive goal the time and budget constraints. I've been succesful at this in spurts, but I can tell you that is treading on thin ice.

Pretty much what Zach Wheat wrote a few hours ago, but I know from experience that his model is much easier said than done for some people. I've been trying to master doing things in moderation for over 40 years now

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Arnie

A break is a natural thing. I collected as a kid, then stopped for about 35 years, then went nuts head over heels collecting again for 12 years, then took a break of about 8 years, now I am going nuts buying cards again. Such is life.

Stop for awhile, even a long time, you will start again when the bug hits you. Just dont get rid of cards that later on in life you will be really sorry you got rid of!!!!

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 11-25-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I stopped when I was 15 then picked it up again when I finished grad school. If you need a break just set them down and take one. Don't make the mistake I made of selling them off, though, if you want to come back.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Tags
baseball, cards, collecting, struggles