NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default OT: Any new good book suggestions?

My mother in law always gets me a few books for Christmas and this year promises that be no different. I usually ask if anyone has read any good books lately.

I have been more into biographies lately but love history books about mid century baseball as well.

This past year I've read a biography on Musial, Koufax, Hodges, Mo Berg, Rivera, Clemente, as well as some Brooklyn Dodgers books and topical books.

So, any thoughts or suggestions. New and old books alike are fine. Just love to see what others are reading up on.

Drew
Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Did you read the book about Maris? I really enjoyed it. Now, to get you off subject, if you like stuff about the mob, I suggest the book Havana Nocturne. This is a very fast read in that you won't put the book down.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Jim H

Just finished reading "Endzone: The Rise, Fall and Return of Michigan Football"

I liked the fact that is wasn't about the game but behind the scenes of how Michigan football went downhill.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:47 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Book

I read Brooks, The Biography of Brooks Robinson by Doug Wilson. Really enjoyed it!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Jim

> but love history books about mid century baseball as well.

How about mid century baseball cards?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Baseb.../dp/0395586682
Old 12-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

not sports related, but try: the wizard of sun city

pretty cool stuff.

"charles always had the touch"
Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Jay T.

I would read some of Bill James books.
The New Baseball Historical Abstract is amazing.
You could also read Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame.

Both are easy reads, loaded with information and can be read all at once or in many sittings.

Last edited by JTysver; 12-02-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Dave Foster

Drew - I'm finishing up "Veeck as in Wreck." Not current, but a good read. 1st edition was in 1962. He was a character and gives a lot of incite, anecdotes re: '40's - '60's baseball. Informative and entertaining. My copy is from 2001, so it isn't out of print. Your Aunt can likely find it on Amazon.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Rick

Montville's Ted Williams book is great. I have his Ruth book, "The Big Bam" but haven't started it yet.

If you want to test your Mantle love, this one is good too

Last edited by RTK; 12-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

OT- my 1st time in a Barnes&Noble:
Totally lost when i walked in, i was like oh shit, what did i walk into?
I can tell ya, COOKBOOKS is out of the question for the future. I had to pick up some Pioneer Woman book combo and it cost 60.00, plus also
added a fruit tree gardening book for the old man, another 20.00
I never would of thought spending 80.oo at a book store.
BTW, i did notice a collecting section on coins and toys, but failed to reach any baseball books. Damn it.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:10 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I'll toot my own horn and recommend my book "The League of Outsider Baseball". I illustrated, wrote it and am proud as heck of it. Came out in May and received better reviews than I could have ever asked for, which you can read HERE. ESPN called it "The most beautiful baseball book of the summer" and I've gotten really great responses at all the book signings I've done this year. And I just found out it was selected as one of the nine best baseball books of the year nominated for the Casey Award...

Old 12-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Montville's Ted Williams book is great. I have his Ruth book, "The Big Bam" but haven't it yet.

If you want to test your Mantle love, this one is good too

All of the above are excellent. I have read the Williams 3x and the Mantle twice (sorry Babe, only got through you once). I would also recommend the recent biography of Ty Cobb, which came out this past summer or so. Sorry, but I can't remember the author's name.

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Default Billy Martin

I read the recent biography of Billy Martin and thought it was terrific. I did not expect to like it as well as I did. I find it interesting to read about the stuff going on behind the headlines that I read when I was a lad. Back in the day reporters kept secrets instead of revealing them.

Baseball's Flawed Genius by Bill Penington.

Bill
Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I'll toot my own horn and recommend my book "The League of Outsider Baseball". I illustrated, wrote it and am proud as heck of it. Came out in May and received better reviews than I could have ever asked for, which you can read HERE. ESPN called it "The most beautiful baseball book of the summer" and I've gotten really great responses at all the book signings I've done this year. And I just found out it was selected as one of the nine best baseball books of the year nominated for the Casey Award...

Congratulations on the book Gary! I know how hard the book market is as I was the Community Relations Manager for B&N in Palm Desert, CA back in 08-09. All book signings went through me, and I was very picky about who I did events for. With the press and signings you have received, it sounds like you have gem!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Patrick N.

Default wagnerr

"The card" by Michael O'Keefe is a page turner about the t206 wagner, very engaging book!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Congratulations on the book Gary! I know how hard the book market is as I was the Community Relations Manager for B&N in Palm Desert, CA back in 08-09. All book signings went through me, and I was very picky about who I did events for. With the press and signings you have received, it sounds like you have gem!
Thanks Lou - I was fortunate in that a manager in the Knoxville Barnes & Noble received a review copy and enjoyed it so much that he wrote a great review in the B&N internal newsletter. This led to the company really supporting my book. I drove down to Knoxville to do a signing and met a bunch of really great baseball people including the Knoxville Smokies mascot and the fellow who wrote the nice review of my book.

It's one thing to write/illustrate a book, but the real work is done by the people who like the book enough to support it and I've been very fortunate in that regard. I can't tell you how much fun it's been meeting people across the country and giving talks to groups about my book.