NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Help with info about 1963 HOF Busts

Hi Gang:

I found an ad for the 1963 HOF Busts. See below.

In the ad it states:

With every statuette you will receive a story written by Joe Reichler Baseball editor of Associated Press......

Does anyone have any of these "stories"? I have never opened a sealed box of these, so I don't know if the story was included in the box or given away at the point of sale etc.

Anyone have info or know about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2427.jpg (79.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2428.jpg (76.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Jim Murphy

The story is on the plaque
Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Brad

Fred -
I have also wondered about these "stories," but have never seen one. I have most of the set of these and an unopened bust in its box, but I can't see anything inside it that looks like it would be a booklet or any sort of paper. Maybe it's tucked somewhere in the bottom of the box (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Jim - the plaque on the base of the bust is a replica of their plaque at the Hall of Fame. The top paragraph of Fred's ad states this (last sentence) and I've compared most of mine to the actual Cooperstown plaques. The only difference is that the busts have a "Copyright 1963" notation at the bottom of the plaque.

Last edited by BradH; 07-11-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Jim Murphy

the first few years the plaques were quite short. The in the 40's they expanded. Did he start writing for the HOF?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Brad

I believe the plaques have always been written as a collaborative effort by the Hall of Fame staff.

But it appears that Reichler did do some work for the Commish's office after he left the Associated Press in the mid 60s, so maybe he helped out with the writing of the plaques (while he was also apparently stealing artifacts from the Hall).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Reichler

Anyway, I've seen the ad that Fred posted before and have always assumed that there was a small story booklet or at least a one-sheeter included in the boxes with the bust.

Has anyone here ever opened a box?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Hi Jim

As Brad said the plaques on the bust are the wording on the players plaque in Cooperstown and is NOT the story mentioned in the ad.

Bob Lemke posted about this in his blog. You can see it here:

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2015/06...-spin-off.html

In the article the guy who produced the busts said:

it was insisted that the plaques that appear on the statue's pedestals be an exact reproduction of those that hang on the Hall's walls. He said he did get permission for one variance. The original Hall of Fame plaque for Tris Speaker had an archaic position designation as "centrefielder". Lodmer got permission to use the modernized "center fielder" on his bust.

So, the question remains.... anyone have a story written by Joe R. that were supposed to be issued with the busts?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Cooperstown Hall of Fame Books

I am not sure if these are them but there is definitely a series of small booklets about specific players issued by HOF about this time period. They have a line drawn head shot of player with a small action shot on cover. I have a few around and will look Ruth Cobb DiMaggio etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I am not sure if these are them but there is definitely a series of small booklets about specific players issued by HOF about this time period. They have a line drawn head shot of player with a small action shot on cover. I have a few around and will look Ruth Cobb DiMaggio etc.
Jonathan: Looking forward to seeing examples of your booklets!

Fred