NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2002, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Default Question for the experts

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I'm currently in the throws of helping a guy out that has a vintage baseball card home page by scanning my Turkey Red set for him. The set will be accessable for viewing by anyone who visits his page. Is there anything I need to be concerned about? Thanks, Keith

Old 01-31-2002, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

If the images are going to be very large, you might consider putting a small like of text in a corner or on an edge, like T206Museum does. Though people are less likely to counterfeit large cards like the Turkey Reds. I supspect that T206Museum adds the text to prevent someone else using them on another sight, rather than to prevent counterfeiting.

Old 01-31-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Also, if you are worried about the images being copied, there is a simple computer code that can be inserted into a web page that mades it difficult, though not impossible, to copy/save any images. If interested, I can pass it on.

Old 02-01-2002, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

David, yes I'd like the code. The copying aspect was what I came to mind quickly. Thanks much for your input. Keith

Old 02-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I already emailed Keith, but for the benefit of everyone ... One can simply cut and past the below text into the source of your website (put it near the top). This prevents the 'right click' function of the mouse or trackpad, which is the function used to save images, etc. You can change the "Not for copying" text to whatever message you want. When someone tries to save or copy an image, a button pops up with the message. Visit T206Museum.com to see how this fuction works.

<SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> <!--

var message="Not for copying"

function click(e) {
if (document.all) {
if (event.button == 2) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
if (document.layers) {
if (e.which == 3) {
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}
if (document.layers) {
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
document.onmousedown=click;
// --> </SCRIPT>

Old 02-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

people can still push the 'printscreen' button and go to Microsoft word or other software, press the 'paste' button and then crop the picture down. Works..........with or without the given code.........

Old 02-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

if the image is viewed in its entirety, would it be available via your cached files?

Old 02-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

that explains why that damn message pops up all the time when I go to the t206 museum. I hate it becuase I do all my navigating with my mouse, not the buttons on my browser, so every time I try to right click to go back, I get that damn message. They need to learn to confine that funstions to the image itself instead of the whole page.It's bad enough to make me not want to go back to the site anymore becuase navigating is such a hassle for me.

Jay

Old 02-02-2002, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I use a Mac so I don't know if this is possible on a PC but. . .

When I hold my mouse button down while over one of the images on the T206 site and, while continuing to hold the mouse button, down drag it to my desk top it makes a copy of the image on the desktop and I can then open it in photo editing software.

. . . There Is a Way

Sad thing is, I don't really have the need for any of the images. it's just that after reading the posts I just felt challenged.

Yes, it's a slow Friday night as well.

Old 02-02-2002, 09:16 AM
Administrator

The script is not intended as a complete solution. It will not prevent all people from copying/saving the images. If you know what you are doing, you can copy the images. It will, however, make it more difficult (a pain in the butt to do) and prevent many to most people from taking the images. The average Joesephine will have no clue how to copy the images.

To protect the images, T206Museum both uses the script and puts a text on the images-- which may be the most prudent thing to do.

Old 02-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

because all images are cached, you are susceptible to any viruses attached to images in web pages you view, whether you download the images or not.