NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Anson

Default Depressing

It's been mentioned in the past that the hobby is going the direction of newer players, and the pre-war stuff may end up having the bottom fall out. While I don't completely agree with that statement, I just decided to search "PSA" on Ebay and sort by highest price first to see what's out there. Plenty of cards in the deep 6-digit range ($500k Thomas the Train card was entertaining). But, almost no pre-war anywhere near the top. Sure, people can ask whatever they want and it's no indication of value. But, even when you filter by sold cards, there are still plenty of people paying $50-100k for cards produced in the past 20 years. I won't tell folks what to spend their money on and it's obviously reflective of supply and demand. It still has me shaking my head. $50k for a Stanton refractor or$120k for a Lebron jersey card?

On a positive note, maybe this eventually drops the price of mid-grade 33' Goudey Ruths and T206 Cobbs to my price range.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
On a positive note, maybe this eventually drops the price of mid-grade 33' Goudey Ruths and T206 Cobbs to my price range.

This!!

I am hoping that I don't lose the entire value of my collection but I am a collector first and foremost. I am already dreading what it will cost me as I continue to move back years and begin collecting pre-war in the next few years. A price break on the sets I hope to collect will do wonders in the household!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 03-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
It's been mentioned in the past that the hobby is going the direction of newer players, and the pre-war stuff may end up having the bottom fall out. While I don't completely agree with that statement, I just decided to search "PSA" on Ebay and sort by highest price first to see what's out there. Plenty of cards in the deep 6-digit range ($500k Thomas the Train card was entertaining). But, almost no pre-war anywhere near the top. Sure, people can ask whatever they want and it's no indication of value. But, even when you filter by sold cards, there are still plenty of people paying $50-100k for cards produced in the past 20 years. I won't tell folks what to spend their money on and it's obviously reflective of supply and demand. It still has me shaking my head. $50k for a Stanton refractor or$120k for a Lebron jersey card?

Go check prices realized on a Heritage auction. You'll feel better.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Lonnie Nagel

The Pre War Pool is still to deep for me.... Luckily tho, I find that the 50's just seem to scratch an itch for me......
Old 03-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Go check prices realized on a Heritage auction. You'll feel better.
Correct. Searching by highest price on eBay and extrapolating out that people are more willing to spend huge cash on new cards is at least somewhat faulty because so much of the really top-level pre-war stuff doesn't get sold on eBay; it gets sold at places like REA, Heritage, Goldin.

How many Lebron jersey cards or Stanton refractors do you suppose will be up for auction at REA this year?

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Prewar seems very strong to me.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Dan Bretta

How many if those “new” cards are one back injury, positive drug test or scandal away from losing all value? The good thing about Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mantle et cetera is that nothing can ever damage their reputations from this point on.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Yes I also started out buying new cards back in the 80's. The big(crazy) difference is back then when we bought the new must have cards we usually spent less than $100. So when they became worthless in a year or 2 it sucked but was not a huge deal. Now the new must have cards are selling for 5 and 6 figures. The only thing that is the same is most are worthless after a couple years.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Are Judge's cards still getting crazy high prices like they once were last year?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes I also started out buying new cards back in the 80's. The big(crazy) difference is back then when we bought the new must have cards we usually spent less than $100. So when they became worthless in a year or 2 it sucked but was not a huge deal. Now the new must have cards are selling for 5 and 6 figures. The only thing that is the same is most are worthless after a couple years.
I bought up every Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor card I could find. Some were as much as a whopping $20. If those guys were coming into the league today, their 1/1 autos would sell for multiple thousands off the bat. Imagine what a 1/1 canseco rookie auto would sell for today if he had come into the league in 2015 and had those dominant seasons he had. And think of the drop on that card once Canseco lost his mojo. They can't all be Mike Trout...that's why he's special. I don't collect new stuff, but some members on the board whom I respect do. They are educated guys who enjoy rooting on the players whose cards they own. There is fun in that, and that's what collecting is all about. Any way you look at it, it's good that people come into the hobby and follow baseball.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Correct. Searching by highest price on eBay and extrapolating out that people are more willing to spend huge cash on new cards is at least somewhat faulty because so much of the really top-level pre-war stuff doesn't get sold on eBay; it gets sold at places like REA, Heritage, Goldin.

How many Lebron jersey cards or Stanton refractors do you suppose will be up for auction at REA this year?
Not trying to be a pre-war snob here, but younger "collectors" (really speculators) on eBay ask obscene prices for auto cards and shiny crap that doesn't realize 1/3,000 of what the price they are throwing out there for shits and giggles. No one is paying $800,000 for a Trout card. Sorry. Not happening. Can ask anything you want.

Looking at what people are "asking" on eBay is really a very poor way to assess the health of a market.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-30-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Not trying to be a pre-war snob here, but younger "collectors" (really speculators) on eBay ask obscene prices for auto cards and shiny crap that doesn't realize 1/3,000 of what the price they are throwing out there for shits and giggles. No one is paying $800,000 for a Trout card. Sorry. Not happening. Can ask anything you want.

Looking at what people are "asking" on eBay is really a very poor way to assess the health of a market.
Didn't a Strasburg 1/1 sell on eBay for around a million bucks a few years ago? Heck of an investment for a guy who is 84-45 with a career era over 3.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Matt

Quote:

While I completely agree with the point quoted above, I'd respectfully hang a lantern on using the term "shiny crap," especially if one doesn't want to come off like a "pre-war snob" and unnecessarily offend a whole cross-section of their fellow baseball card enthusiasts.

I do agree an eBay search is not the ideal method of assessing the PreWar space, considering the likes of REA, Heritage, etc. are where so many great pieces in the space are routinely bought/sold.

Last edited by MattyC; 03-30-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

I confess to buying the occasional shiny thing. My new Trout RC lol, very sparkly in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troutcognac.jpg (76.8 KB, 787 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Matt

What a superb ballplayer. And a very cool-looking card to represent him in your collection, Peter. The game is so damn hard, and Trout makes it look so easy.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
How many if those “new” cards are one back injury, positive drug test or scandal away from losing all value? The good thing about Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mantle et cetera is that nothing can ever damage their reputations from this point on.
And they are all dead.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
To some who buy cards of modern players, the endeavor is not about potential value one way or the other. At its purest, back in boyhood, I'd venture collecting grew from a fondness and rooting for a specific player or team, not future monetary considerations.

Last edited by MattyC; 03-30-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What a superb ballplayer. And a very cool-looking card to represent him in your collection, Peter. The game is so damn hard, and Trout makes it look so easy.
He and Harper (IMO the other great talent of this generation, although as yet not fully realized) are sort of yin and yang, although for all his bad ass veneer Harper is a very hard-working and fundamentally solid player.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 PM
Matt

Quote:
He and Harper (IMO the other great talent of this generation, although as yet not fully realized) are sort of yin and yang, although for all his bad ass veneer Harper is a very hard-working and fundamentally solid player.
Agreed. I watched Harper's game today and he flashed a bunt to the left side, which I really liked.

I get as much enjoyment from looking at the one Harper card I have as I do from looking at my CJ Cobb or my 1986 Dwight Gooden Record Breaker. It takes such enormous talent just to get drafted, let alone put up an elite MLB season— or a whole HOF-level career. Different levels of achievement, for sure, yet huge respect for each one. Heck, trying to hit consistent line drives off a fast machine in a cage is hard enough, LOL!

Last edited by MattyC; 03-30-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:51 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Target

Hi I went to target last week ,and once in a while I like buying blasters ,Well got $200 worth ,total of $40 in cards 😳😳😳. think I better buy a t206 next time , octavio
Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Besides prewar i collect modern joey votto cards and i believe he is one of the few generational talents in baseball today. When got back into the hobby after a 10-12 year hideous i started with modern blaster boxes at my local supermarket and then got into prewar after a couple years of collecting modern cards.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
Besides prewar i collect modern joey votto cards and i believe he is one of the few generational talents in baseball today. When got back into the hobby after a 10-12 year hideous i started with modern blaster boxes at my local supermarket and then got into prewar after a couple years of collecting modern cards.
My condolences on your hideous hiatus.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
My condolences on your hideous hiatus.
Is that what causes a hiatal hernia?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
They are great great talents, but we live in very different times today. Millions of men my age cherish Mickey Mantle (shout out to Billy Crystal of course) and hence the demand for his cards. Lots of people appreciate Harper and Votto and Trout but I think it's a different time and place. I don't see the unabashed affection. Without getting political at all, look how differently people people viewed FDR and John Kennedy than how politicians are viewed today.

The crazy prices realized on newish cards are plain and simple a financial roll of the dice. A spin of the roulette wheel. Yes, that happens in pre-war of course, but some people want a Ty Cobb card because they actually want a Ty Cobb card.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-31-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:32 AM
Matt

I see tons of affection from boys and men today toward their collected players. I see it firsthand in our little leagues and in my own household. When we buy a Brett Gardner or when I shell out for a major Judge card, I am doing so because I actually want it for my collection.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

These kids will grow up to love Trout the same way a certain generation now loves Mantle. I don't see any change. Baseball, Ray....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troutkids1.jpg (66.0 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-31-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
I see tons of affection from boys and men today toward their collected players. I see it firsthand in our little leagues and in my own household. When we buy a Brett Gardner or when I shell out for a major Judge card, I am doing so because I actually want it for my collection.
While I don't collect modern, I can understand this sentiment completely. I can imagine that if you took your son to a Reds game and Joey Votto winked at your boy on the on-deck circle and then cracked 2 HRs, you'd have more allegiance for him that you would any Mantle, Williams, or Ruth (all flawed characters in their own right.)

When it comes to the modern/vintage debate, I try to separate the players from the cards. While I think modern players can spark passion, I personally, do not appreciate the cards. If I love Mike Trout, for example, which of his 100 rookie cards do I pursue? Should I go after the "Cognac Diamond Anniversary" edition or maybe the "Super Refractor with Bedazzled Edges 1/1" edition that looks like it was designed by an 8th grade girl? Having grown up in the 80s when there was just one base card of a rookie (yes, way overproduced), I am used to simplicity. I just can't wrap my head around the incredibly complex system of manufactured rarity that drives the modern market.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the modern market exists even if I don't participate in it. I would never begrudge anyone who does. It's just not for me, and that's a function of the cards, not the players.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

There are still base cards, and they're an easy way to avoid all the complexity of the 57 varieties of refractors and sparkles and chromes etc. if those are not your speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troutup.jpg (72.7 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-31-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
There are still base cards, and they're an easy way to avoid all the complexity of the 57 varieties of refractors and sparkles and chromes etc. if those are not your speed.
Yes, I could see myself owning a card like that someday if it's available at a fair price.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I'd say this is an almost new crop of collector who will be hit with the news that this stuff they are paying exorbitant prices for is in the same boat with the 80s junk that everyone lost nearly all value on.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I'd say this is an almost new crop of collector who will be hit with the news that this stuff they are paying exorbitant prices for is in the same boat with the 80s junk that everyone lost nearly all value on.
Exorbitant is different for each person. I am someone buying modern (in addition to Pre and Post war) and I can tell you when “I get hit with the news” you seem to see in your crystal ball, I won’t care what my modern is worth— I am collecting.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
All collecting is good collecting. I am a big advocate of youngsters doing anything with collecting cards. I also think a lot of them will gravitate to older cards. I don't know how many people NEVER collected cards as a kid, collect them as an adult? I am sure there are a few but not a ton. So to keep our collecting going we need to be supportive of their gambling/card collecting. I never collected anything past about 1972 as a youngster opening packs and came back to vintage as an adult, going backwards to Pre-War. Whatever floats your boat. The only small drawback is that some kids will spend and lose way too much on their collecting/gambling and that is never good (except for the card companies I guess.)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Bill

I only collect pre-1970 but I also do not begrudge collectors of modern issue. What bothers me (aside from ALL reprints), is the death of the wax pack. Upper Deck, with the advent of their foil tamper proof package, essentially started the ball rolling to price the hobby out of the hands of the kids.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM

The wax, the gum, the smell, ahhhh.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
These kids will grow up to love Trout the same way a certain generation now loves Mantle. I don't see any change. Baseball, Ray....

Nice.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Jay Cee

Agreed many collectors who collect the newer cards will end up collecting prewar. Inspired by this thred, I went out and bought ten sets of Mike Trouts pre rookie minor league team sets (population 2000). How can you go wrong with a great player who is great for the game!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7337.JPG (34.8 KB, 460 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 05:12 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Although I collect PRIMARILY Nolan Ryan, Mantle, Williams and 1950's cards, I do have a decent collection of Trout, Harper, Kershaw and Tom Brady.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Although I collect PRIMARILY Nolan Ryan, Mantle, Williams and 1950's cards, I do have a decent collection of Trout, Harper, Kershaw and Tom Brady.
Driving home from Atlantic City one day I looked up the nearest card shop and made a detour. Small little shop and a few nice ladies running it. They probably had 5 display cases of nothing but Trout cards. And boxes and boxes besides the cases. Obviously he is a Jersey boy. I’d estimate they had about 20,000 shiny Trout cards. Many were $1. That’s why his card will never have any real value other than the one off really rare card.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-05-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:09 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Didn't a Strasburg 1/1 sell on eBay for around a million bucks a few years ago? Heck of an investment for a guy who is 84-45 with a career era over 3.
Your numbers are way off... it was $16,000. But your point is still valid. Very valid.

At the time, Strasburg had yet to play a single game in the majors!

Here's a history of the Strasburg card: link. Fascinating in-depth look at a card that's less than 10 years old.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

No. My numbers are not way off. That is not the card I was referring to. Whether or not the million was actually paid, I don't know (probably not), but I remember it sold at a million. Your comment forced me to look it up, and I found this. I knew I wasn't crazy.

http://www.tuffstuff.com/news/hobby-...ids-flood-ebay

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a...lled-by-seller

"At the time of this writing there have been 201 bids with the current high bid at $999,999 mark. The current high bidder seems to be legitimate with 1734 positive feedback from auctions has been bidding since the early stages but one can’t help but wonder if many of the recent bids are fake by people who have no intention of ever puchasing the card."

Last edited by orly57; 04-14-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I agree with your post. I have not kept up with the new products, but I have to wonder about the expectations of a person paying thousands of dollars for a new card.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
I agree with your post. I have not kept up with the new products, but I have to wonder about the expectations of a person paying thousands of dollars for a new card.
My expectation, when I pay thousands for a new card, is that I will enjoy my new card.

That expectation is met each and every time.

It's the same expectation I have when I buy a card from 1914, 1952, or 1975.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-15-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Matt

Quote:
No. My numbers are not way off. That is not the card I was referring to. Whether or not the million was actually paid, I don't know (probably not), but I remember it sold at a million. Your comment forced me to look it up, and I found this. I knew I wasn't crazy.

http://www.tuffstuff.com/news/hobby-...ids-flood-ebay

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a...lled-by-seller

"At the time of this writing there have been 201 bids with the current high bid at $999,999 mark. The current high bidder seems to be legitimate with 1734 positive feedback from auctions has been bidding since the early stages but one can’t help but wonder if many of the recent bids are fake by people who have no intention of ever puchasing the card."
This thing happens in the Pre and Post War space all the time, as well. Get a sale recorded in the pricing history, or parroted by a TPGs twitter account...and voila.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
My expectation, when I pay thousands for a new card, is that I will enjoy my new card.

That expectation is met each and every time.

It's the same expectation I have when I buy a card from 1914, 1952, or 1975.

Matty, we get that you collect for the sheer purity, love and enjoyment of the hobby. You can afford it, and could care less if Aaron Judge (or whoever) becomes a bust and you lost several thousands on their cards. But I think you are in the minority there. Just because you are an intelligent collector with means, it doesn't follow that many others aren't risking big bucks chasing the promise of the next Mike Trout. We all got burned in the 80's, but that was CHUMP CHANGE compared to the money being spent on speculative prospects like Strasbourg. I think that is the greater point of this thread. But as I mentioned in a previous post, I think any form of collecting cards is good for our hobby, and I'm all for it.
I will also echo Sam's sentiment from a previous post in that I would love to buy the cards of modern players, but just hate that each guy has 1,000 rookies IN DIFFERING YEARS. There are too many to choose from. I don't want to just buy his 472nd "best" rookie, but I also don't want to spend 5-figures on one of his top 5 rookies. I will spend it on Ruth or Cobb because the cards are awesome and their status as immortals is already secured.

Last edited by orly57; 04-15-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The mania surrounding the Otani autographs in the new Topps Heritage set is instructive. A ton of mania out of the box to get these cards and get on eBay. People who were asking $75,000 a month ago. If someone paid that they are a sorry sorry guy, because they are now a few thousand last time I checked. This is just people buying a lottery ticket.
Manufactured scarcity. Signing in different ink colors and then trying to say a certain color is more valuable. Cmon. That’s nuts.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Matt

Quote:
The mania surrounding the Otani autographs in the new Topps Heritage set is instructive. A ton of mania out of the box to get these cards and get on eBay. People who were asking $75,000 a month ago. If someone paid that they are a sorry sorry guy, because they are now a few thousand last time I checked. This is just people buying a lottery ticket.
Manufactured scarcity. Signing in different ink colors and then trying to say a certain color is more valuable. Cmon. That’s nuts.
No one paid 75k or anywhere near that for his Red Ink Heritage cards. So trying to cite the crazy high ask in an attempt to slight that sector of the hobby is a bit specious. They have been changing hands in the 3-6k zone.

In terms of saying the difference between a Red Ink and Blue Ink auto is subtle and thus "nuts," I could see drawing a parallel to there being a massive premium to a card because it has a different advertising back— yet an identical front— to a much cheaper card. Some might call that "nuts."

Or a card that displays infinitesimal (if any) improvements over another card in a higher graded flip selling for exponentially more than a nearly identical (or better looking) card in the next flip down.

Or the cost of a rare common one needs to complete a set.

The salient point being that there are a lot of aspects to the hobby that different people might raise an eyebrow to— doesn't make any collector "nuts." And it doesn't make whatever they do with their money worthy of a supercilious treatment.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

I sure wouldn't mind a woman gazing at me the way that Momma is ogling Trout...but, alas, I'm retired from THAT too...never could hit a curve anyway.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Matt

Quote:
I will also echo Sam's sentiment from a previous post in that I would love to buy the cards of modern players, but just hate that each guy has 1,000 rookies IN DIFFERING YEARS. There are too many to choose from. I don't want to just buy his 472nd "best" rookie, but I also don't want to spend 5-figures on one of his top 5 rookies. I will spend it on Ruth or Cobb because the cards are awesome and their status as immortals is already secured.
In all fairness the PreWar "rookie" space is not as cut and dry as you make it seem, relative to modern. Look at the debate that swirls around Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth and what their "rookie" card is. When I first ventured into PreWar I found it disorganized, relative to what I saw as the direct, clear-cut Post War space. I took the time to wade in and learn, from reading and fellow collectors, and was soon able to select cards I wanted. I am sure anyone could do the same for modern, if they so choose. I have far too much fun watching baseball and rooting for certain players to abstain from collecting the cards of theirs which I find awesome, just because they may not achieve immortal status. Their status is already secured with me, based on the fun I have in the present watching, rooting, and collecting. That is why, when I look at my cards, I smile at the Gooden, Strawberry, Mattingly, and Bo Jacksons the same way I smile at the Ruths and Cobbs.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.