NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Posted By: Bert Wright

I've had this statue for quite some time and would like to know more about it if anyone has come across any. Bronze on marble. I'm fixing to sell several items on ebay next week and would like to be sure of this statue before I put it up. Any info would be appreciated. Bert Any shiny spots are due to my washing it and being too impatient to let it dry.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Posted By: Mike H

You should email a photo to Carlton Hendricks at SportsAntiques.com. He is as knowledgable as anyone in this hobby regarding statues and display antiques. He will give you very honest feedback and all he knows regarding your piece. He's also a really nice guy.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

I agree with Mike....

Also, are there any markings on it? Name of manufacturer or artist? Dated?

There are many reproductions out there, almost identical to the "turn of the Century" originals. If this is indeed original, you may consider consigning to a major auction house, as opposed to Ebay. Hunt and REA do a great job with this type of piece. You will surely realize more $$ than on Ebay (it will just take a lot longer to be paid...)

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'd definitely talk with Carlton on that piece before going to ebay with it. For some reason I can't connect to his website right now...maybe having server problems???

Working now...
http://www.sportsantiques.com/>

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

http://www.sportsantiques.com/

Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Thanks for the info. I cannot find any markings anywhere, but I will definitely send some pics to the fella who has the website. After checking out the website he sure would be the person able to tell me what I'd like to know.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

I spoke with Carlton today Bert. I'm sure he will respond.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Hey Bert... Did Carlton ever reply, or provide information about this piece? It really is a beautiful sculpture... I was wondering whether Carlton could verify the age, background, rarity, value, etc.

Please let us know if you are able to gather any further information.... thanks!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Mark,
Carlton did respond but said he would give me more information when he got time. He did say he was familiar with the item. Anyone else have any opinions on the bronze? Bert

Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Here is Carlton's response to my bronze. I really appreciate his time and expertise even though it didn't turn out like I'd hoped. Great guy!

Hello Bert,

Thank you for writing to SportsAntiques.com. Your bronze is a very interesting subject as there are only a handful of 19th century baseball bronze statues extant.

To begin with, I’ll clarify I know of no documentation referencing that work in bronze. My knowledge of it is based on my twenty years collecting and observing antique sports sculpture, as it is my favorite areas of collecting.

Your bronze is modeled after a Parian statue of the same subject sculpted by Isaac Broome (pronounced: Vroom) in 1875-76. Isaac Broome came from Canada to Philadelphia about 1850, where he studied art. Parian was a type of white porcelain that was invented in England around 1840, and migrated to the United States, where production blossomed in and around the New York and New Jersey area in the latter 19th century.

The story of where your bronze originated, or at least the original figure, begins with the 1876 Centennial in Philadelphia. The Ott and Brewer pottery company, also called the Etruria company, of Trenton New Jersey sought a work to exhibit at the Centennial, and one of the principles of the company John Hart Brewer commissioned Issac Broome, who worked as a sculptor for the company, to design something special related to baseball. What Broome came up with was a matching pair of 38 ¾” tall parian urns, each encircled by three statues of baseball players; a batter, pitcher and catcher. Your bronze is modeled after the catcher. It is said Isaac Broome’s only son, Roebling Ericson Broome, was the model for all three of the baseball players.

I’ve stated this in the past; don’t waste too much time looking for the world’s greatest baseball art work. Save your energy, just go to either the New Jersey State Museum or the Detroit Historical Museum, each has one example of the urn.

The urn was the first stage of origination of your bronze. The next were individually cast, free standing parian statues of all three of the baseball players that surround the urn. The parian catcher measures 14 7/8" tall.

Ott and Brewer displayed the free standing statues at the Centennial as well. The New Jersey State Museum has all three examples today. In 1989 they were the only known examples. However, renowned baseball collector Mark Rucker had the pitcher, and offered it in an auction of his collection in 1995,

which was auctioned thru Dan Knoll’s and Bill Mastro’s auction concern, Best of Yesterday. The statue was lot 1, with a $25,000.00 minimum. It didn’t sell, and Mark later offered to me for $25,000.00, but I couldn’t afford it. Years later Mark told me he did sell it.

So where does your bronze come into the picture? I have no certain answer, but I speculate someone produced them in the 1970’s or 80's. Probably they observed and copied the one in the New Jersey State Museum. Over the years I’ve had two examples, and sold both. I recall I unscrewed the marble base on one and there were bold felt tip pen markings inside the cavity. Further as I recollect, the casting of one had a little better definition than the other. Once I tried to sell one to San Francisco bronze dealer Chuck Morganstein. He looked at it and immediately pooh poohed it and passed. He quickly pointed out the poor casting details. It was my first lesson in what to look for in a bronze.

When Mark Rucker offered me his statue I told him about my bronze rendition of the catcher. He asked me to send it to him so he could compare it to his parian pitcher . He returned it and essentially said there was no comparison, and it was very weak in detail.

I see them offered for sale now and then, once in a while on eBay, and friend of mine recently sold one he had. You can read a little more about the Isaac Broome baseball statue and urn, in an article I wrote quite a while ago. That would be in the fourth paragraph on the page link below, to my website SportsAntiques.com. There you can also see links to photos of the Rucker auction catalog.

http://www.sportsantiques.com/and_more.htm

I hope this helps you understand your bronze statue better, and that you are not disappointed I don’t believe it an original old antique. Nevertheless, I feel they’re a good starter piece for someone just starting out collecting antique sports statues. Actually it’s exactly where I started!

Kind Regards,

Carlton Hendricks

Editor Publisher SportsAntiques.com

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Old 11-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Ouch....sorry to hear about that Bert. Still a great looking item though.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default 1880s Statue

Well, that is too bad... I had a suspicion that this one was produced more recently, but it is still a very nice looking and displayable piece.

There are just so few authentic ones out there. Carlton sure knows his stuff... that was considerate of him to provide such a detailed response.