NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default 1913 T200 Fatima's

Posted By: MVSNYC

i am sure it has been discussed a million times before...But, i have decided to put together a T200 set and just wanted to get some opinions on how to collect, what's the tuffer ones (Bos N, NY A, etc)...what grading companies are best (even though i love PSA for my T206 cards, i think the T200s look best in SGC holders)...how much should i expect to pay, etc...overall, just wanted to pick everyone's brains here, on the subject...

thanks in advance.

MVS

Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

IMO the toughest ones are Boston NL, then NY AL and St. Louis AL, then St Louis NL. After that there are 2 groups- one a bit tougher (either due to popularity or scarcity, tough to say definitively) and one that is easier. I've got my notes at home on the specifics. This is slightly different than Lipset's opinion, and he's certainly the expert, but it reflects my experiences over the last 5 years.
If you can live with a bit of cracking it's not a tough set to put together until you get to the last 2 or 3, and those can be found. If you're looking for really pristine examples it's a lot tougher. I won't go into the specs of that, but suffice to say the high grade slabbed only collectors won't ever bother with this set- it can't be completed in high grade, at least until some more submissions are taken in.
I think they look a lot better in SGC holders, although mine are in PSA's. I had some problems with the SGC holdered ones slipping under the gasket and the cards are so fragile it worried me. And the 2 companies seem to have different grading criteria on this set. It's the only set I've submitted to dropped significantly (2-3 grades) when being graded by PSA. Other sets tend to stay the same or even move up a bit.
I think it's a great set in any condition. I believe it pictures more different players than any other set up until '52 Topps, and includes the top players of the era, including the most affordable T-issue Wagner.
The premiums are even more spectacular. While I don't own any of those, I know there are a few members here than have extensive collections of them. I don't know if the scarcity on those mirrors the regular set.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Just picked this one up awhile back, nicest one Ive owned. Just got it back from SGC yesterday.

Very nice condition, but only considered a 50 out of 100...........SGC-50

oh well

Old 12-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Love the set!

There are four toughies:
Boston Natl, NY American, St. Louis American, St. Louis Natl... in that order.

The rest can be had much more easily.

Detroit and Cleveland are somewhat pricey (which I guess makes them harder to come by) because Detroit has Cobby and Cleveland has Shoeless Joe...... (I have a low-grade T200 Detroit on the B/S/T btw).

I had some trouble picking up a NY Natl for a while (Matty)... but then all of a sudden a whole bunch of them pop up available.

As far as price....
a really nice complete set just went for $10,500 I believe in sloate auction.

buying them individually in the same condition I would think would cost more.

I say go for it! Without a doubt in my mind a very undervalued set.

when you put a bunch of them together they look awesome.

edit to say: as far as grading, I am not sure the graders have figured out 'consistency' on this set yet. I have seen SGC 20s and 30s that look better than SGC 40s. Its an old saying... but especially true for this set.... buy the card - not the holder. But when you do dress it in a holder, I think the SGC ones are the best looking.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

guys, this is great, exactly the type of info i was looking for...

...It is posts like this & responses like this, when N54 is fun!