NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Matthew

Default Best long term storage for vintage

Hi all. I’m trying to figure out the best long term storage option for my 1956 topps vintage cards. One day I would like to get them sgc graded, but for now most are raw. I like using card saver 1’s for my commons, but want something more display friendly for the stars. I have read bad things about screwdowns and I like the magnetic pro mold for modern cards. The 1 screw holders for vintage topps from pro mold seem ok, but I wanted to get opinions from you all. What about a vintage sleeve in a screw down? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 11-29-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

The screwdowns will still press the card ends if they're overtightened, unless it's a type with a recess.

Another option would be cutting a frame like one of the SGC gaskets from acid free stock and using that in a screwdown. As long as it's thicker than the card there shouldn't be any problem.
I keep most of mine in toploaders with sleeves. Or just sleeves if the card is really beat like most of the star cards I have.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:06 PM
Emlily Ell.is

All my vintage, whether 75 cent common or $1k star, are in toploaders. The only exception is my lone complete set (74T BB) is in a binder. But I put a small shelf in my office at home about halfway up the wall and left enough room on top and bottom for more shelving. I'm going to be putting my toploaders of cards I want to display on there.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:14 AM
George

Penny sleeves and top loaders. I have hundreds of Aaron/Mays/Clemente cards that stored this way. It protects the cards while allowing you to stack them up and look through them the way God intended.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:58 AM

Pro-mold makes a recessed one-screw holder for 1952 to 1956 cards. I bought some on eBay. I think the seller's name was Columbia Sports Card Supplies. Anyway, if you do an eBay search, you should be able to find them.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Chris

Anything in my collection that's not graded is in a top loader, and I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Storage

I use penny sleeves and top loaders.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
I use penny sleeves and top loaders.
I'm the same, other than the cards I already purchased slabbed.

This past spring/summer, debating how I should store my cards, I ended up choosing this path as it suit my needs the best. I purchased all brand new Vintage toploaders and Vintage sleeves and began the task of transferring my cards out of their old top loaders.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Matthew

I have been using the single screw recessed 52-56 pro mold cases and they are decent but the last batch arrived with lots of scratches. I like the magnetic version they have for modern cards, but they only offer the screw version for vintage.

I also found these adjustable stands for displaying rocks on amazon that work really well for my cards.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

I was excited about the Pro-Mold one screw, but was dismayed to find that the cards slide around in them. Stick with what is simple - either Card Saver I’s, or they do make vintage sized penny sleeves and top loaders. I like these options better because you can stack cards and don’t necessarily have to be super careful as with a graded slab. If you scratch up a top loader over time you can just replace it. All of my graded cards are protected by a sleeve over those as well.

Funny - do you realize that when they are donated baseball card collections at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, the first thing they do is get rid of the plastic and bust cards out of slabs. They are concerned that the long long term effects of these materials decomposing on cardboard are unknown. I guess they are concerned with preserving cards hundreds of years into the future - while my selfish concern is only the next few decades...

Old 12-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yep, a professional archive - especially one with a bit of money- looks at things on a totally different sort of time scale than everyone else. I know the basics of that storage, but the cost and extra space are a serious challenge. (Not to mention the climate control)
Old 12-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Dave Becker

Like several others have noted -- penny sleeve in a top-loader. You can toss them around without much worry.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Matthew

But what about for display? A sleeve plus top loader or a card saver just doesn’t lend itself to being displayed nicely.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 AM

I store my cards in : sleeves, top loaders and then put the cards in my "Kakapopo B3 case".

I feel it's perfect for storage, accessibility and maneuverability (travels well). And it looks nice.

http://kakapopotcg.com/TCG-Case-B3-Black/

Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
But what about for display? A sleeve plus top loader or a card saver just doesn’t lend itself to being displayed nicely.

You could keep them in the top loaders and display them on a clear acrylic stand of some kind.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0...rds=B01M0EM74V
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 AM
lanco02

I use a slat wall with acrylic shelves. If done right can hold several hundred cards on one 8 foot wall. I'd suggest using card savers and overlapping slightly to maximize the amount of cards that be displayed.