NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Arnie

Default A-Rod has experimental procedure done....

A-Rod went to Germany for an experimental therapy on his knee (and shoulder too). Kobe Bryant and some other atheletes have tried it and think it works, apparently it involves removing blood from another part of the body, putting it in some king of centrifuge and then injecting it in the injured part of the body. Both the Yankees and MLB have cleared the procedure as okay to do. I hope it works.

What bothers me about this is the fact that i thought A-Rod was going to be healthy this coming season, and i am upset over his obviously not healed knee, plus i dont know what his shoulder problem is. A healthy Alex is a big part of the Yankee team, perhaps the Yankees should be looking at Prince Fielder to DH if A-Rod isnt going to be the stud anymore in their lineup.

Anyway, the Yankees are stuck with his loooooooong contract which has many years to go, could be a real downer to the team if he cant stay healthy. Other teams should learn from this and stop giving real long contracts to players, its too much of a gamble, particularly when the player is over 30.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM

Default Platelet Rich Plasma..

..or PRP is the basis of the therapy, but Kobe had a variation of it, that so far I've been unable to find out what it is. Some say that it was mixed with a growth hormone or steroids that makes the procedure not approved in the US.

I'm looking into having it too. I has surgery for a meniscus tear 8 months ago and the doctor totally butchered me, leaving me in much more pain than I was before. I've been searching for an alternative to knee replacement and so far PRP seems to have the best rep. There's so much snake oil out there.

Basically PRP takes the patients blood and spins it in a centrifuge until the platelets are separated from the blood, then the platelets are injected in the problem area. I'd really like to find out what the German doctors are adding to it and hear some comments from the players themselves about how effective it is, but so far it seems they are keeping it to themselves.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
I'm looking into having it too. I has surgery for a meniscus tear 8 months ago and the doctor totally butchered me, leaving me in much more pain than I was before. I've been searching for an alternative to knee replacement and so far PRP seems to have the best rep. There's so much snake oil out there.
OUCH!

My knees are badly arthritic and I had an issue a little over a year ago where I tore up the meniscus too.

FWIW, the surgeon I saw told me that my knee was so badly arthritic that he didn't think surgery would help because there wasn't enough of the meniscus left to work with, so he wanted to leave that as a last resort and try injections of Euflexxa instead. It is basically a lubricant that should be in a healthy knee. It worked so well in the knee that I had torn up that I had it done to my other knee as well. It really provided a lot of relief and cut way back the need for Advil to get me through the day. It is not permanent but can be repeated, which reminds me that it's probably getting time for think about getting them again.

It was covered by insurance, but even if it wasn't, the relief that I got would have been well worth the cost out of my own pocket.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
OUCH!

My knees are badly arthritic and I had an issue a little over a year ago where I tore up the meniscus too.

FWIW, the surgeon I saw told me that my knee was so badly arthritic that he didn't think surgery would help because there wasn't enough of the meniscus left to work with, so he wanted to leave that as a last resort and try injections of Euflexxa instead. It is basically a lubricant that should be in a healthy knee. It worked so well in the knee that I had torn up that I had it done to my other knee as well. It really provided a lot of relief and cut way back the need for Advil to get me through the day. It is not permanent but can be repeated, which reminds me that it's probably getting time for think about getting them again.

It was covered by insurance, but even if it wasn't, the relief that I got would have been well worth the cost out of my own pocket.
Thanks for the empathy, I wish I had had your surgeon. I've looked into Euflexxa and Synvisc and am still considering them. Being uninsured and the fact that these shots need to be replenished, I've been continuing to do research. I've got heavy arthritis too, but I had the same surgery 13 years ago and was back to full workouts in about a month. Unfortunately, that surgeon retired and although I did my best to research a new surgeon, I got one that blamed me after a surgery that left me in more pain than before.
I actually envisioned my hands around the surgeon's neck after I told him I was in a lot more pain than before and his response was, "no, you had that pain before". Like, "these aren't the droids you're looking for".

His cure for his botched surgery, was more surgery, in the form of a knee replacement. I think he trimmed too much cartilage, as is evidenced in the video of the surgery. I think he also tried to remove some arthritis, which left me with bone on bone in places.
I'm still looking for a surgeon that testifies against other surgeons, to get an opinion, but most will only talk through a lawyer.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Pure blood doping. Plain and simple. Tiger Woods, Fred Couples, Vijay Singh, the list goes on and on. The cheating makes me sick to my effin stomach. Can't do it in Canada anymore? Go to Germany, no history of steroids there LMAO. On another note, anybody seen Tedy Bruschi lately on espn? The guy looks like half the man he used to be. Tell me he wasn't pharmaceutically enhanced...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The first thing that came to mind when I heard this, was that something fishy is going on. No real need to go to Germany, UNLESS there is a part of the procedure that is not commonly practiced, or possibly illegal in the US. Also, the fact that it's being done in Germany should cover up any potential paper trail. If A-rod(or any athlete) needs to have a procedure done, then it should be approved by the league and/or team first. Any suspicious or seemingly deceptive or evasive actions being taken in regards to the procedure should be viewed as cheating..
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Jeff

Well he always has the "Boli" to fall back on.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."