NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Be.n C0z1n

Default Early 1970's sets

Is it just me, or is the bottom dropping out of these sets, much the way the late 70's sets fell apart 10-15 years ago. I've had my eye on getting a complete 71 set for a while to fill in the 100 or so missing cards that I needed. I recently purchased what appears to be a decent one on ebay ( I know ebay, could be a disaster, etc ) for $605! I remember when 70, 71, & 72 mid grade sets would always get between $850-$1000 on ebay. Now they seem to sell for $500-$750 in mid grade. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas. Do you think these sets will hold any value, or are they in trouble unless in ultra high grade?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
Is it just me, or is the bottom dropping out of these sets, much the way the late 70's sets fell apart 10-15 years ago. I've had my eye on getting a complete 71 set for a while to fill in the 100 or so missing cards that I needed. I recently purchased what appears to be a decent one on ebay ( I know ebay, could be a disaster, etc ) for $605! I remember when 70, 71, & 72 mid grade sets would always get between $850-$1000 on ebay. Now they seem to sell for $500-$750 in mid grade. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas. Do you think these sets will hold any value, or are they in trouble unless in ultra high grade?
Mid-grade 70's stuff is in abundance and can be purchased much cheaper than "Guide". Thumb through any bargain box; decent stars are easily obtained cheap. I see 70-73 mid grade commons as low as 10 cents each. I think a VG/EX 71 set can be pieced together (easily) in the $500-700 range. For that price it would hold value but probably not gain too much.

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 10-10-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Mike

Default 1970

My 1960-1969 Topps are complete enough for me at this time. Everything I need is silly money....Ryan Rookie.....63 Koufax....etc. I have basically concentrated my post war efforts to what's left of the Fifties. Since I also buy mostly pre-war these days, I rarely get a big stack o' cards in the mailbox anymore. For hoots and hollers, I have been snagging lots of the 1970 set, just to have that pile to play with. I think I am about $125 into the chase and I have picked up about half of the commons in the set. I don't expect them to go up in value any time soon but unless I have to pay someone to take them, they sure cannot go down....
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Bi11..R0berts

In the last few years I put together high grade 70, 71 and 72 sets. I saw a lot of strength in the higher quality high # series for each set.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Larry More.y

I agree, lately on ebay there have been some great deals on the early 70s sets.

I resell them as singles on ebay and the 71s and 72s are very strong sellers. IMO, this is because there are still collectors who cannot afford to drop $500-600 for a complete or near complete set and can only afford to assemble these sets card by card. Over the past 10 years on ebay, I have bought about 20 complete 72 sets, all in the $600-800 range in EX to NM shape to sell as singles...I just think some of these sets recently are cases of sets that have "slipped through the cracks" and were missed by potential bidders for whatever reason.

Over a few months, I had one collector purchase nearly 2/3 of a 72 set card by card...all in NM shape including the last two series. I am thankful, but if I were him I would have saved my money and purchased one of these bargain deal sets for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 10-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Mark

I have completed every set from 2012 back to 1954 and have done so card-by-card. I don't do it for the value. I do it because it's fun.

I've already told my son that when I die he is to sell my entire collection immediately for whatever he can get for it and use that money to do something fun. I don't care if he gets $10,000 or $30,000. When all is said and done we will both have some great fun coming from collecting cardboard pictures of ballplayers.

To me. there is no value in buying a complete set in midgrade. The resale would be poor and there's no fun in that.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I agree with darkhorse, for me there's no fun in just buying the complete set & mid to low grade will not have any value increase (IMO). One thing I have found when buying sets or large lots is there seem to be a lot of cards that are off-centered, faded or otherwise not up to my personal condition standards so I end up replacing many cards to get the set condition I want. If I was not as condition sensitive as I am, buying complete sets might appeal to me more.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I have completed every set from 2012 back to 1954 and have done so card-by-card. I don't do it for the value. I do it because it's fun.

I've already told my son that when I die he is to sell my entire collection immediately for whatever he can get for it and use that money to do something fun. I don't care if he gets $10,000 or $30,000. When all is said and done we will both have some great fun coming from collecting cardboard pictures of ballplayers.

To me. there is no value in buying a complete set in midgrade. The resale would be poor and there's no fun in that.

Just my thoughts.
I think the the exclamation point for the end of the vintage era was the advent of complete sets being available for purchase in April. I have never bought a complete set in my life. As a collector I see no "thrill of the hunt" there. I suppose if I was going to buy a set and bust it up for re-sale that would be one thing, but as a collector i would give a major "thumbs down".