NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I've seen that before and always thought it was one of the nicest autos I've ever, ever seen. I didn't know it was yours and now that I know you, I see why you would've given anything for it! Perfect, Jimmy.
Thanks Jarrod. Especially for not thinking I'm nuts for giving up what I did for it. Also, good story on pulling a Mint 75 Yount!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
With your permission Jimmy, here is something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Found along with a 1960 Post cereal Frank Gifford that were used as backing in a frame my brother picked up at a local flea market and gave me. The accompanying photo is not the one I have but mine is cut large, with even borders, sharp corners no creases, paper wrinkles or any other surface flaws. The accompanying "bios" for both were in between the "cards".

Who would have known!!!
And Craig. Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm not familiar with that Mantle piece. However, your enthusiasm tells me it's something special. So what is it and what's it's worth?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisradioclash View Post
I paid about $500 for a '53 Topps Satchel Paige in very nice shape. Almost the same for a Koufax rookie, also in Very Good-ish, maybe a little better shape.

I picked up a beater '49 Bowman Paige for a song, and I'd like to round out the Satchel Paige collection with a '48 Leaf Paige, too, but that'll probably cost me a bit more than $500
If you ever find a 48 Paige for $500 I am going shopping with you!!!LOL!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Thanks Jarrod. Especially for not thinking I'm nuts for giving up what I did for it. Also, good story on pulling a Mint 75 Yount!

And Craig. Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm not familiar with that Mantle piece. However, your enthusiasm tells me it's something special. So what is it and what's it's worth?
Jimmy,

This is a 1960 Post Cereal Mantle “card”, the key card from one of the most substantial and rarest sets of the 1960s. The debut of Post “Grape-Nuts Flakes” in 1960 was the means for the introduction of Post's glorious "Sports Stars" series. Each box featured a spectacular card covering a 7" x 8-3/4" area of the back panel. It is widely regarded as one of Mickey's toughest issues and without a doubt one of his hardest to find. These over-sized cards were never issued in packs, but were the back panels of Post Cereal Grape-Nut boxes. Kids would often cut the panels from the cereal box and then pin or tape them to the wall, which is why so many of the 1960 Post panels come in low grades with pin holes and tape residue.

Mantle is the key card from the set and 1960 Post Cereals have always been the "king" of all Post Cereal cards. They are large, beautiful, and rare not just because they were issued only one card per box; they are just rare, and this was the first year of issue for Post Cereal baseball cards. In the "old days" of the organized hobby, 1960 Post were always known for their mythic rarity, and were among the most valuable cards of the era. 1960 Post cards were the first, and by far the rarest, of the Post Cereal issues of the early 1960s. For the reasons stated above, this an extremely condition-sensitive card. 10-15 years ago mine would have fetched around $2,200.

In todays market, with the unattached “Bio” it is probably worth around $1,500 and the Gifford around $350. Not bad for backing in an old picture frame!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

This thread really helped me put my own collecting habits in perspective. I look at most items as liquid assets, so as long as I have market knowledge, disposable income and it's a bargain, WTF - why not?

I've spent a lot for large card lots, but for single items, not so much:

card - T206 Magie in poor condition
photo - cabinet of 1906 Pirates