NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Default The Wagner

It appears PSA uses wording along the lines of 'they will not grade a card that shows evidence of trimming'. Perhaps they will argue that although they may have suspected that the card was trimmed, the card did not in fact show evidence of trimming. Importantly, would need to look at PSA's wording in 1991, when the card was graded.

How was the Wagner cut? With what mechanism? Curious, if anyone knows. The card was cut exceptionally well.

The next sale of the Wagner will be the first with all information front and center. Will be interesting to see what the card sells for.
Is there any way that the current owner did not know the back story? before spending $3 million, usually a lot of due diligence, outside of direct representations/auction catalogues. And the story was out there in our internet age.

Last edited by BigJJ; 07-26-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Rich

Quite certain he knew...and didn't care. I honestly don't believe the value of this card will be affected at all by the latest developments. No matter what its history, it's still the best looking Wagner out there and very desirable for many.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccabella View Post
Quite certain he knew...and didn't care. I honestly don't believe the value of this card will be affected at all by the latest developments. No matter what its history, it's still the best looking Wagner out there and very desirable for many.
I concur.

I should add that instead of affecting the value "at all" it could certainly affect it some. The only way to know for sure is have the card re-holdered in an AUT holder and try to sell it. Of course everything else is conjecture. Not too many of us really know what mindset goes with buying a 2.8M baseball card.

Last edited by Leon; 07-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Not sure if they knew it was trimmed when initially graded but certainly knew shortly after at the Anaheim national when more people had a chance to see it up close and compare it to other t206s.

Joshua
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Yes. It always amazes me when vintage card collectors post here, 'wondering' if the Wagner was trimmed. Maybe it's just stirring the pot when they post such stuff, but it's hard to believe anyone isn't aware of this story by now.

Damn, buy the book - it's an entertaining read and it concerns the icon card of our hobby. And it apparently would be educational to many here.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Scott

Book was GREAT, and I DO feel the value will be compromised to a degree. It is a GORGEOUS card but is STILL TRIMMED and should only be graded an A by SGC or however PSA grades Trimmed authentic cards.

still, would take me ten lifetimes to own something like that
Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Craig

Well I don't want to speak for him but I'm pretty sure Brian Siegel did not know the back story at the time. I believe he became aware in time and the disillusionment led to him selling the Wagner as well as his other high grade cards
Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
Well I don't want to speak for him but I'm pretty sure Brian Siegel did not know the back story at the time. I believe he became aware in time and the disillusionment led to him selling the Wagner as well as his other high grade cards
Even Gretzky knew. Siegel bought it in 2000, after Mike's board was well-established and the collectors here were talking about the Wagner. He's a smart guy and I'm sure did not have his head buried in the sand, with his hand sticking out with a wad of cash.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:37 AM

Even if flawed, it's taken on a life of its own. Some things are famous for being famous-- Mona Lisa, Elvis, the Gretzky Wagner.

Rather, some would call it the Elvis of cards and some would call it the Justin Bieber.

Last edited by drc; 07-28-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

People get ready, there's a train a comin...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
so a restored wagner with built up corners and repaired creases would look fabulous too, but we know what doing that did to the value of that card, that ended up as an A, even though it's fantabulous looking.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Rich

Not the same thing. This card was cut from the original sheet it was printed on. Nothing phony was applied to it.

Die hard, by the book, "serious" card collectors will cry foul. Many others who do not religiously collect by the book and simply want it because it's rare, iconic and famous don't care. Many of them are also rare, iconic and famous. They're also wealthy.

Famous and/or wealthy people collect things because they think those things are cool and famous and some love the attention those things may bring them. They are not the least bit interested that the set collectors and message board regulars are having fits.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
People get ready, there's a train a comin...
The Chambers Brothers did this the best,, anyone besides me remember them and their version of this song?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

yep Richard, I remember them. I also liked Time Has Come Today. Damn I'm getting old.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Trimming notwithstanding, wouldn't the fact that this specific card has such a story behind it add to its value?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Trimming notwithstanding, wouldn't the fact that this specific card has such a story behind it add to its value?
I would think so; at the very least, I doubt the value will go down. After all, are people really buying a T206 Wagner any more, or an object with a story behind it? As Rich said, it's "rare, iconic and famous", and it seems to be an unending source of attention. Now, tied up in an FBI investigation, it just has bolstered its pre-existing claim to notoriety.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
yep Richard, I remember them. I also liked Time Has Come Today. Damn I'm getting old.
Great song. Check this out, the best remake of Time has Come Today that I've heard, and by a huge card collector (RIP):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wanoXM90yHE

Last edited by Rob L; 08-01-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
Great song. Check this out, the best remake of Time has Come Today that I've heard, and by a huge card collector (RIP):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wanoXM90yHE
That entire album is great. Gets panned because it's uncharacteristically polished, but I like it.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wow...I was and am a very big fan of the Ramones early stuff (in fact, I saw them at a small Hollywood club on one of their first West Coast tours back in the 70's) and I never knew they did this song. Very cool. RIP Johnny, Joey and Dee Dee.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That entire album is great. Gets panned because it's uncharacteristically polished, but I like it.
Yup. One of my favorites, but Rocket to Russia rules the roost!!