NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Mike Campbell

It has always made me somewhat uncomfortable when I go to shows, and am attempting to buy or sell, and dealer quickly grabs the SCD. Like he has no clue as to what a price should be. Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't he at least have a clue as to price? Unless of course it is something he has never seen before. Which would be the exception. If the truth be known there has been many times when I would have been more than willing to pay far more than book, or sell for less than book, but the fellow ends up using the guide price. he's only screwing himself. I pay what I think something is worth. I really don't care what the book says. I use it as a guide to tell me what is out there in the market place. For that purpose, it is fantastic. But as far as using it as a "Bible" for prices, it is only a guide. There are many very obcure issues I would be unaware of it not for this guide. And for that, I am thankful. I buy one every year, and will continue to do so.It is a great guide.

This was meant to be part of leon's thread. I think I pulled the wrong switch. Sorry

Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: davidcycleback

If a dealer sells 1800s to 1990s baseball, basketball and football, it's reasonable to refer to a price guide. If I asked you what is the value of a 1970s Topps Glossy Bart Starr, you'd look it up on eBay or a price guide-- while the 1970s football card collecor might know the going value off the top of his head.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Paul

I dislike it when a dealer doesn't have the prices of his cards marked. I like to know that the price I'm being offered isn't based on his current mood.

But if the price is unmarked, I've never objected to the dealer refering to a price guide. Until this year's price guide came out, the prices in the guides were notoriously low, and I've picked up some good deals this way.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: bigfish

I know a dealer that always whips out his 2003 book when looking up cards when he is buying. Actually is insulting. So I tried to buy his cards at the prices in the 2003 book. He declined and stopped using his old book.

There is also a dealer that sets up at New York shows that does not want to sell his stuff. It is in his cases without prices marked. I ask how much and he says it is not for sale. Why the hell is it in the case then? Very strange. Anyone else encounter the same type of thing?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: SteveM.

Yes Toby I have run across the same thing. The rationale given me by the dealer was that he just wanted to show off some of his own collection that wasn't for sale. I found it to be educational and didn't have a problem with it.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: bigfish

I hear you on gaining some knowledge. I love looking at stuff that is tough to find and just on display. But I have seen a few dealers that have four cases set up and only one of the cases full of cards is for sale. Atleast they are having fun. That is how I should look at it. I just like to buy everything I can find.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: jay behrens

I always used to put a portion of my collection in my cases, just so people could see some rare pieces they might otherwise never see. Technically, they weren't for sale, but if I got the right offer, I would part with a card.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: paulstratton

To me there is nothing worse than having to ask a price for every card in a case. It's such a pain, especially if there are a lot of customers at a table. I'm not going to wait around and ask about every single card I have an interest in. I do realize why some dealers might not want to put prices on certain cards but at least price some of them so I can get an idea of your levels of pricing.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: MikeW

If cards aren't marked at a given table... I will usually keep walking.

I've often found that places that don't make their prices for their merchandise readily available are worried their HIGH prices will scare off customers.

... although at a show in Chantilly, VA this weekend I was surprised to flip through a few books of one dealers stuff with OUTRAGEOUS prices shamelessly labeled on them.

I was impressed that he was able to look me in the face while aking those absurd prices.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: edacra

My favorite is when they have a "half price" section with selected unpriced cards, and then they still look it up in the book to arrive at a price.

Second favorite, when you can't get their attention, because they're deep into some gossip, or too busy looking up cards in the book, one at a time, for someone else.

Third favorite is the dealer who leaves his family watching the table while he's cruising the show, and they don't know how much anything is, and they're not allowed to look it up in the book. So they tell you to come back at some undetermined time.

Fourth, the dealer who parks himself in a prime spot with cases filled of primo goods, none of which are for sale. He's there for self promotion and to wheel and deal with other dealers instead.

Fifth, the price is marked, but the dealer is rude when you want to buy it because he thinks it was priced too low and wants you to know it.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: jackgoodman

But wouldn't it be great pay-back if you went up to a dealers table and started asking for the price of every card in the case. How many before he tells you to get lost, when he put himself in that position in the first place?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: peter ullman

it's nice to hear that most dealers haven't changed since i was a kid 25 years ago...they're still pricks!

pete ullman

Old 10-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: barrysloate

Why do people even go to shows? The logic of it escapes me.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: jay behrens

When I was setting up at shows, I was one of those dealers that enver had prices on his stuff. The main reason for this is that in the 80s prices were moving as rapidly as they are today. Having to constantly change the price stickers is very time consuming. Fortunately, I have a pretty good memory, knew my markets and I knew how much I tied up in each card, so I didn't need a price guide to tell me what I needed to sell something for in order to make a decent profit.

I do agree though, if a dealer isn't going to price his stuff, he better know his cards and not have the need for guide in order to price something.

Barry, we go to shows to socialize with other collectors. The cards are just a side benefit if you can find some worth your time.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Cobby33

I also like seeing prices on cards- EXCEPT when they put stickers on the slabs! I HATE that! I had a funny conversation with Tim of Joe's at the National and he couldn't really tell me why they did that, except that it's been a long-standing tradition

Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: barrysloate

Jay- I certainly can see the socializing end of it, but there has to be better and easier ways to purchase baseball memorabilia.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

I hadn't been to a show in years. Barry, I agree, every since I discovered E-bay, it has been my preference for building my collection.

I remember E-bay prices for vintage cards in the late 90's being fractions of the price dealers where asking and expecting.

Now it's a little closer, but E-bay as well as others on this board are better avenues in my opinion.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Matt E

At the Robert Morris show this year I admired a few cards and asked the price of the T205's and T206's which were prominently displayed. Only to be scolded by the man behind the case who said these cards will be in our next auction and are not for sale! By his tone he must have been asked that many times before I arrived at his table.

I am sorry for not seeing your business card taped to the glass that you had propped at a 45 degree angle with bright lights clipped to it. Seems like the only thing I could read was the reflection of the wattage of the bulb.

I attend many shows and always love the find of a mismarked card somewhere or that variation that is mislabled. Aisle buys can also be profitable when the seller keeps striking out with various dealers.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: James Feagin

Baseball card collectors by nature are socially inept weirdos (as someone who considers himself as having some conversational and social skills I often wonder how I ended up in this hobby), but at least dealers throw some comic relief into the equation. I remember that dealer from Chantilly, the guy with the binders? I actually had a couple of nice scores from him on some t209 this weekend. My favorite are dealers who mark high book MT prices on their G-VG cards, and try to negotiate from there. I also enjoy dealers who double BV on their cards, but gasp mark 1/2 off on their cases. Hasn't worked since I started going to shows, won't happen now.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

Yep James,
The guy with the binders! I thought my eyes where playing tricks on me as I took in the prices behind his strip cards. But, as I said he seemed very comfortable putting that binder out there. I guess if he gets one sell he's in good shape..... very good shape!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Default SCD

He told me the prices were 75-95% off of book, so I got a semi-deal on the Contentnea's. I loved the G-VG El Principe De Gales commons priced at $1100!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Mike campbell

Firstly, I have no interest in a glossy Bart Starr, and have no idea as to it's worth.$ 0.0 to me. Secondly, I do know what I would be willing to pay for any Old Judge, T Card, george Miller, U S Caramel. Delong, ramley etc etc. i am willing to pay what I think they are worth. When I bid on E bay, I don't ever once recall running to my price guide, and then limiting myself to what the book says I should bid.

Oh......and I don't go to shows any more. I may hit the national one more time. Just to shoot the breeze with other collectors and dealers.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Default SCD

Also, how about a bit more professionalism for dealers at shows? Your quality of dress should match the quality of your cards. I'm not saying dress up in a suit, but a nice shirt and tie would be nice, for once. It's weird when I go to card shows and see middle-aged dealers in their Dimaggio and Mantle jersey's; it creeps me out a bit. News flash, you aren't Mickey Mantle, nor will you ever be.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: Josh Adams

James,
Very true. A little more professionalism goes a long way.
I usually go to the Rosemont Show, to shoot the breeze with friends, and to go with a friend of mine who is constantly putting together 50s and 60s sets. Its a great time, in that respect, to hang out with him.

Besides that, Ebay, various auction houses, and this board are the best outlets for building my collection.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default SCD

Posted By: WilliamList

I love shows. Of course, years ago I had a choice of 6 per month within 30 minutes of my house and now its maybe 2... I always see collector friends, the good/bad dealers, the promoters, etc. I love all of it. I realize that much of this board won't find too much of what they are looking for at small shows, but I collect a lot of different eras. I detest the impersonal nature of e-bay, but of course am forced to use it. Getting a money order for $500 and mailing it away does not compare to waving it at a dealer's face trying to get a better deal. Also, e-bay has wiped out the regional premiums that I used to take advantage of.
Will