NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Al

Default Who are the tougher living Baseball HOFers?

Hello,
in your opinion, who are the toughest living Baseball HOFers to get to sign nowadays? Here is my list:

1. Tom Seaver-Rumor is that he is done signing
2. Monte Irvin-I received a note from him when I sent TTM saying due to health he is no longer signing autographs.
3. Willie Mays-even if he signs now, his signature is crap(hardly legible)
4. Hank Aaron- see same as above for Mays
5. Willie McCovey-Heard his health is getting worse and so suffers his signature.

what is your list/thoughts?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 PM

I think you have nailed the list pretty well. Aaron and McCovey at least will still do a signing or two a year.

Aparacio is hard as he doesn't live in the states. When he does travel he has an entourage which drives up the price

Also heard Bench isn't healthy

Last edited by MacDice; 10-27-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Depends on the setting. Most living HOFers are accessible through signings, but if you're talking about your chances of getting them to sign for free in an in-person setting, there are a few tough guys.

Jim Rice is an absolute miserable human being and would probably be close to the top of my list. Roberto Alomar, if you're trying to get him on a HOF specific item, will simply not do it. He charges a premium for HOF items at signings, and for free he will flatly refuse to sign the HOF inscription, HOF plaque postcards, etc.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

Tricky question. Those guys are tough to get in person but not tough in a general sense.

Here's my list:

Sandy Koufax
Joe Torre
Pedro Martinez
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux

Just a partial list off the top of my head. The newer players are going to be hard for a while, but I think when they get old they'll do the circuits. Torre has always been hard because he's a Yankee. The price of anything Koufax tells you what you need to know, even if he was signing during spring training.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

Sandy Koufax
Joe Torre
Pedro Martinez
Frank Thomas
Greg Maddux
Interesting because I thought the first four were pretty easy and regulars on the show or private signing circuit. Thomas in particular seems to be signing up a storm and can be had through a number of reliable sources for around $60.

Maddux I agree with. My sense is he doesn't like signing and won't be seen at shows. This in combination with the fact that his signature is an awful scrawl, it is a forger's dream. I would only obtain in-person or through a rock-solid source.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Private signing for Koufax and Torre yeah, but you're going to pay through the nose. So I still consider them tough because the price point will limit supply.

I could be wrong about Thomas. He was supposed to sign in White Plains shortly after induction but cancelled and I haven't seen him come around the NY area since. But again, I don't know about every signing. When he was a player he was a very tough in person signature.

I haven't seen Pedro advertised at a show signing since he got in or before. But again, I'm limited to NY area shows and don't delve much into private signings.

Last edited by packs; 10-28-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Koufax is always tough, expensive to get on a specific item.

Morgan is not doing well. I didn't hear that about Bench nor that Seaver doesn't sign anymore? That latter is really surprising.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Irvin's poor health. Best show experience I ever had was sliding for him. I learned a lot about baseball listening to his stories.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Irvin is the toughest, simply because doesn't sign anymore, followed closely by Mays, who did a signing of 50 flat items earlier this year, Koufax is possible if you are willing to fly to ST, and has probably has signed more autographs in the last two years than the previous ten combined. Seaver had not really signed since being diagnosed with Lyme disease. Aaron did a signing last week.

I think everyone living who has been inducted in the HOF in the last 5 years is active on the show circuit. Just because they charge a lot of money didn't make them tough.