NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2023, 10:55 PM
James Gallo

Getting this back to the original intent. When SGC changed over to the new cert numbers the registry vanished overnight. There was no warning or ability to copy your set information. I was pissed as i had extensive information in it for all the sets i collected. This information is helpful when at shows and checking the grades and needed cards. To me the registry is vital and has saved me in other ways as well.
Jeez about 10+ years ago i had a whole bunch of cards stolen from my home some ended up in Cooperstown all the way from Pa. The dealer that bought the stolen cards found me through the registry. When the judge asked me about the cards it was easy to prove they were mine as i had a trail from the auction house to me and into my registry. It seems there is not a lot of love for registries here but i use it more as a checklist then anything else. These days i also use the psa one to store purchase price when it was bought and where. I cant fathom why this would not be a super useful tool for someone collecting graded cards.

Anyway for some time after the cert switch there was talk of a new registry but they could not get the system to work for both types of certs and it was long left in the dust.

These days they are more worried about pushing up numbers of any piece of cardboard in their holders then actually working on the aspects that made the company great back then. The chat board was a great community as well and it was nice to have a dedicated place to discuss the company. This is all gone in the name of profit which i believe in the end will be the downfall of the company.
Such a shame and so many things lost and forgotten.

James Gallo
Old 03-22-2023, 11:14 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I predict the Sgc app will be able to read the cards cert code via your phone camera and bring up the scans, pop, etc. Similar to psas bar code. If this isn’t a feature that will be disappointing for sure.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 03-23-2023, 05:25 AM

Default SGC registry?

Lots of folks continue to make valid observations directly in line with the
intent of the original post. Although I don't ask fellow collectors to fill out
a questionnaire about their purpose for collecting, I can say for sure I don't
know 5 who zero in on registry as their prime mover for collecting. It seems
reasonable to suggest that SGC would have implemented a registry
(re-implemented?) if they deemed it profitable for their business. The fact
that they have not essentially reveals that answer.

Lorewalker- I'm "wound too tight"? Glass houses come to mind. You
don't know me and never will- thank Heaven. Your approach on this topic
was flawed (again) and it doesn't require "anger" to discern. I'm sure your
flighty response to the next topic will be an example of flawless logic as well.

Trent King
Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 AM
Jim Reynolds

I simply want the registry back for the use of it as a checklist for my graded sets, and for the joy of competing with others and seeing their collections.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:42 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
...and placed into your vault.
Hell no. The idea of a vault is kind of anathema to our goals. We're trying to connect collectors to the cards they want. Hence the name!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-23-2023, 05:45 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post

SGC their customer service is terrific
I would disagree this. When I can't call in with a question the customer service has a huge hole in it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-23-2023, 05:56 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes but not as blatant as the owner being a card dealer apparently grading his own cards.
I dunno about that one. The same ownership group owning the grading company and one of the largest auction companies in the hobby seems to be a more dangerous combination in terms of volume and impact.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:19 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I would disagree this. When I can't call in with a question the customer service has a huge hole in it.
I 2nd this. Not being able to call in to ask basic questions is a huge misstep on their part. They used to have a customer service rep. Great guy. I wonder what happened?
Old 03-23-2023, 07:35 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
They used to have a customer service rep. Great guy. I wonder what happened?
He works for REA now
Old 03-23-2023, 08:22 AM
Drew W@i$e

Thanks for all the insight, some great information here.

What else was brought up was how the owner of PSA is everywhere, but you never hear from the owner of SCG. Forman I believe? I would love to ask this question of him.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Thanks for all the insight, some great information here.

What else was brought up was how the owner of PSA is everywhere, but you never hear from the owner of SCG. Forman I believe? I would love to ask this question of him.
Dave is very wise to keep a low profile.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:16 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Quote:
I 2nd this. Not being able to call in to ask basic questions is a huge misstep on their part. They used to have a customer service rep. Great guy. I wonder what happened?
Call in? Ever try calling PSA? They intentionally limit the number of customer service reps to discourage people from trying to reach them about anything. That is one area they actively decided to not expand and maybe a thankless one but an easier position to fill in the scheme of things. It can take them up to a month to reply to an email.

I have never tried calling SGC but I have emailed them and someone always gets back to me the same day with an answer or if they do not have the answer they get it for me within 24 hours. I do not need communication via the phone as long as there is communication.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Call in? Ever try calling PSA? They intentionally limit the number of customer service reps to discourage people from trying to reach them about anything. That is one area they actively decided to not expand and maybe a thankless one but an easier position to fill in the scheme of things. It can take them up to a month to reply to an email.

I have never tried calling SGC but I have emailed them and someone always gets back to me the same day with an answer or if they do not have the answer they get it for me within 24 hours. I do not need communication via the phone as long as there is communication.
At least you can call PSA. SGC doesn't even have a customer service number. Sorry. They are not the same.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
At least you can call PSA. SGC doesn't even have a customer service number. Sorry. They are not the same.
The phone call has largely been replaced by text and email.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:05 PM
Chase

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way but to me, if someone at SGC can effectively communicate with me in writing, even if it is by postcard, it is far better and faster than what PSA is able to do.

Will write this again...both companies are awful, presently, for similar and different reasons. Just pointing out that for me not having a phone number is the same as having one that really cannot be used to reach anyone with any consistency.