NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Whitey Herzog and Doug Harvey elected to the Hall

Whitey Herzog and Doug Harvey were elected today by the Veterans Committee on managers and umpires. No one was elected by the Veterans Committee on pioneers and executives.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Rich Klein

Default Congrats to both men

And this is borderline; but should also probably be moved to the cooler talk section as neither are pre-War figures. This is also probably OK in the pre-1980 era part of the board

Regards
Rich
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Joe Jesselli

The chronic Marvin Miller snub is pathetic, though understandable given that the pioneer electing committee is stacked with old-fart management types. When the new wave of management--those who understand Marvin Miller's role in growing the game into a major enterprise--comprises the executive bloc of the committee, Miller will get in. So very, very pathetic.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Chris Counts

Joseph, I completely agree with you. The fact that Bowie Kuhn was previously inducted is a slap in Miller's face. Miller, love him or hate him, was a visionary and a pioneer. Kuhn was merely the stooge of owners at the time when Miller's vision was realized. Miller's exclusion is just more piece of evidence that the Hall of Fame's election process is deeply flawed and riddled with cronyism.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I agree with the two former posts. How can Marvin Miller's contributions be ignored while that jackass Kuhn resides in the HOF today? I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Bud Selig will be enshrined before Miller.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Joseph, I completely agree with you. The fact that Bowie Kuhn was previously inducted is a slap in Miller's face. Miller, love him or hate him, was a visionary and a pioneer. Kuhn was merely the stooge of owners at the time when Miller's vision was realized. Miller's exclusion is just more piece of evidence that the Hall of Fame's election process is deeply flawed and riddled with cronyism.
Which reminds me of a post within the past week on this board that asserted something about the Hall of Fame being the "great keeper of our game." Quite laughable.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
And this is borderline; but should also probably be moved to the cooler talk section as neither are pre-War figures. This is also probably OK in the pre-1980 era part of the board

Regards
Rich
With all due respect Rich, the watercooler section is for minor day to day sports talk, in my not so humble opinion. As we have many board members who are HOF collectors I think this is a great topic for the main board. The scores from yesterdays football, and great plays therein, would be good watercooler talk. When are we doing lunch again?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Ken Wirt

Agree with the Miller comments above. Also, very pleased about Herzog! Of course I am - I'm from Missouri! And I just picked up Doug Harvey's rookie card picturing him with Smoky Bear. Suweeeet!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
M@rk Lu7z

I don't think that either Kuhn or Miller improved the game, so I don't feel any pathos for the late labor leader.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
T0dd M@rcum

so far as early players...do you guys have anyone you have a soft-spot for...without doing due dilligence, just throwing a couple off the top of my head from reputation, I sort of like Turkey Mike Donlin and Larry Doyle. I think they fit right in with many of the early selections.....an argument could easily be made that after 80 years we have cleared pretty much everyone off the shelf who truly belongs....
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I agree with Mark, neither should be in there. I feel there are too many executives & other behind-the-scenes guys enshrined already. I have always felt the HOF should be largely dedicated to the people actually on the field (players, managers, etc.).

This is a very anticlimactic and unexciting HOF selection. Herzog is VERY borderline in my opinion and probably didn't need to be inducted.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Millers a bum. He should never get in. He is one of the guys that ruined Baseball. And, yes it has been ruined. It is now a game of greed and money. Players have no loyalty except for the mighty doller. Screw Miller!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
so far as early players...do you guys have anyone you have a soft-spot for...without doing due dilligence, just throwing a couple off the top of my head from reputation, I sort of like Turkey Mike Donlin and Larry Doyle. I think they fit right in with many of the early selections.....an argument could easily be made that after 80 years we have cleared pretty much everyone off the shelf who truly belongs....
Turkey Mike was one of the greatest players of his era -- but his various leaves from baseball sort of watered down his claim. Numbers and reputation alone do not save the day. For example, I just read an article from 1913 in which Frank Chance, then-manager of the Yankees noted that the Tigers wanted to trade for Chase. Chance remarked that he insisted upon Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford in exchange; he wouldn't accept just one of the players.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...639C946296D6CF
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I don't think that either Kuhn or Miller improved the game, so I don't feel any pathos for the late labor leader.

I don't believe Marvin Miller is dead.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Bill T.

Default Deserving players

So when does Cecil Travis get in? I think he's in line ahead of Rose.

Bill
Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Chris Counts

Bill,

I believe you and I are going to be in the minority on this one, but I wholeheartedly endorse Cecil Travis for the Hall of Fame. I'm always amazed to find his cards priced as if they are commons. Although he did play in a hitter's era, he had the third highest batting average ever for a shortstop. The main argument against him is that his career wasn't long enough, but I believe he deserves a pass on the that one since he was busy fighting in the Battle of the Bulge ...

I must admit I'm biased. My uncle played with Travis on a team in Germany during the war, something he is very proud of. They both came from Georgia as well ...

Last edited by Chris Counts; 12-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.