NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM
John E.

Default Reasonable price for an Olympic medal (G/S/B not participation)

I imagine there's probably an Olympic medal collector on the board. With the games rolling around again, this has kind of been a back of my list want for awhile.

If I were to jump in on a genuine medal, gold, silver or bronze, not particular about the era...what might I expect to pay? What are the basics on what to look for (and where to look)?

Thanks for any help...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

North of $7,000 is a fair estimate. A few will sell for slightly less,but I would use that as your general starting point. Most Summer games medals will be less than the comparable medal for the winter games as there are less medals awarded during the winter games. Bronze is usually least expensive with silver next and gold, but it is not necessarily exponential. A medal that can be associated with a specific sport may carry a greater cachet. Most medals since at least 1996 have had the event engraved on the edge. 1968 medals had a small icon attached to the ribbon denoting the sport. Prior to that it is impossible to tell what event unless there is solid provenance. Winners medals prior to 1960 had NO ribbon or chain. The first ones to have them were 1960 which had very nice chains which looked like Olive leaves. 1972 had simple gold chains with an eyelet that screwed into the top of the medal.

Steer clear of 2008, 2012 and 2016 medals as reproductions are being made and sold on the bay for less than $100.00. Jostens also made samples of 1984 medals in a stand up wood and glass case, but they are not anywhere as valuable as an awarded medal.

Your best bet on a medal is one of the Olympic auction houses - Ingrid O'Neil from California, Ulf Strom from Sweden and Wolfgang Fuhr (AGON Sportsworld) in Germany. RR Auctions has had some winners medals in their last two Olympics auctions and a few were rather affordable. You can contact me if you would like to contact any of them. I can also contact a few people privately to see what they have for sale. I know a few collectors/dealers who may have one for sale.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-06-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:24 PM
T0dd M@rcum

As timing would have it, there's an interesting story on Money today about that very subject....

http://time.com/money/4418118/olympi.../?xid=homepage
Old 08-06-2016, 02:07 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The article is a bit misleading regarding the USOC paying for winning a medal. They are known to pay for any medal won. I believe it was $25/15/10,000 or $25/10/5,000. However, if an athlete is still in high school or college and want to retain their eligibility they cannot accept the check. If you are someone like Missy Franklin or Katie Ladecki who was still in high school when you won your medal and your parents could not afford the just about guaranteed $100,000+ scholarship/education you would receive from a top school you turn it down.

This is also true with any endorsements or advertising. A good example is the 1998 Women's ice hockey team. Not all of the members of the team were on the Wheaties Box. The five who were still in college or high school did not appear on the box - Sara DeCosta (Providence College), Sarah Tueting (Dartmouth), Tara Mounsey (Brown), Jenny Schmidgall (UMinn/Duluth) and Angela Ruggiero (Choate Rosemary Hall)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-06-2016, 12:59 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I bet you could get a bronze for a thousand. Just a guess. I look at Olympic stuff in passing, am no expert.

My related story is, I'm a former track runner and like track stuff, and won for the minimum bid of $9.99 a 1950s German track medal on eBay. I showed it to my dad and, after looking closely at it, he said "This looks like an award setting a world's record." I translated the German inscription and, sure enough, it was given to a Russian hurdler for setting the world's record at the meet. Something I entirely missed. Raised the value by a factor of about 30x.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:31 PM

Another AH to watch is Heritage. They've auctioned off multiple medals of different types over the years. They're currently auctioning off some Olympic stuff, although I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, John.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:19 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

you could also get one for free...all you have to do is qualify for the olympics and come in at least third in an event

some girl won a sharpshooting contest at 100m today..19 years old and won the gold for the U.S....but all you would have to do is come in third..

that looks easier than going the basketball route ie. going to NBA, being good enough and go on U.S. Men's Team and winning the gold at the olympics...or perhaps playing for a country you think will come in 3rd and changing citizenship to that team as it will be easier to make than the U.S. Team

and all that saves you the 10k etc..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-06-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
you could also get one for free...all you have to do is qualify for the olympics and come in at least third in an event

some girl won a sharpshooting contest at 100m today..19 years old and won the gold for the U.S....but all you would have to do is come in third..

that looks easier than going the basketball route ie. going to NBA, being good enough and go on U.S. Men's Team and winning the gold at the olympics...or perhaps playing for a country you think will come in 3rd and changing citizenship to that team as it will be easier to make than the U.S. Team

Never participated in a competitive sport have you Jake? Trust me the $10k would be much easier.

Also it really depressed me when they let paid professionals compete in the Olympics.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Never participated in a competitive sport have you Jake? Trust me the $10k would be much easier.

Also it really depressed me when they let paid professionals compete in the Olympics.
Been going on for 100 years probably with other countries like Russia.

E-Sports may be an olympic event someday, than we can talk..

but no events are created equal, people that run the 100m could qualify as a runner for bobsled but no drivers of the bobsled can ever compete in the 100m.

also curling 'athletes' arent in the same league as athletes in the triathelon etc..
Old 08-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

This comment shows a complete lack of understanding of this sport and most Olympic sports. Virginia Thrasher from here in Springfield, VA, the same town I live, did not just pick up a gun and say "I want to go to the Olympics". She won a gold medal in 10 meter air rifle. That requires hitting a target the size of a dime from 32 feet 10 inches consistently. To be this good you need to fire THOUSANDS of rounds each year. Those are not free. You also need a specialized handmade rifle that is built for your body which costs thousands of dollars. You also need to have a shooting range, not free. There is also a coach, psychologist and possibly a physical trainer. You then must compete in enough sanctioned International Sport Shooting Federation (ISSF) competitions to qualify. Local competitions and national championships are not enough. Travel to other countries to compete is necessary and USA Shooting cannot completely fund every athlete for all of their expenses. Winning the NCAA championship this year, which she did, does not qualify her for the Olympics either.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea. I could do this for every Olympic sport.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

There have been professionals in the Olympics since the 1896 Games. When they decided to include fencing in the Olympic program it was determined that they should allow fencing masters who made their living by teaching. By doing this they could attract the best fencers of the era. This was done in 1896 in Athens and 1900 in Paris. The first Greek to win an Olympic championship in the modern games was a fencing master, Leonidas Pyrgos.

Up until 1948 you needed to be a military officer to compete in equestrian events, thus a professional rider.

Many of the early competitors in shooting were also military. The whole 1912 U.S. rifle team were in the military - Navy, Army, Iowa National Guard and West Virginia National Guard. It was not limited to officers though. One member of this team as a hospital steward in the Navy. The U.S. Army still has a sharpshooting team in Ft. Benning, GA that produces Olympic shooters

Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

The US Olympic cycling team in 68 was also at least partly military.

Funny story from John Howard one of the team members. He was picked for the team, and like all new recruits had to go to basic training. When he'd take heat for not working hard enough at some stuff he'd tell the officer that he was on the cycling team, which they apparently found more than a bit funny and constantly gave him static about how he'd do in Vietnam.

Right up until he graduated and got his orders- "Report to the US army/ Olympic cycling team training facility"

Now if you like medals, there's a lot out there that's not Olympic but is very cool. Picked up a bunch from Uruguay from a cyclist who rode in the 1920's. Including a national championship medal plus some other stuff.
They hadn't caught on down there, although the soccer stuff had some decent asking prices. The whole batch of cycling stuff was maybe $50. It did frame up pretty nicely.

Steve B
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
This comment shows a complete lack of understanding of this sport and most Olympic sports. Virginia Thrasher from here in Springfield, VA, the same town I live, did not just pick up a gun and say "I want to go to the Olympics". She won a gold medal in 10 meter air rifle. That requires hitting a target the size of a dime from 32 feet 10 inches consistently. To be this good you need to fire THOUSANDS of rounds each year. Those are not free. You also need a specialized handmade rifle that is built for your body which costs thousands of dollars. You also need to have a shooting range, not free. There is also a coach, psychologist and possibly a physical trainer. You then must compete in enough sanctioned International Sport Shooting Federation (ISSF) competitions to qualify. Local competitions and national championships are not enough. Travel to other countries to compete is necessary and USA Shooting cannot completely fund every athlete for all of their expenses. Winning the NCAA championship this year, which she did, does not qualify her for the Olympics either.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea. I could do this for every Olympic sport.
Kudos to Ms. Thrasher. It seems that she is a "natural" who no doubt has worked countless hours perfecting her prowess but apparently didn't pick up a rifle until 5 years ago when on a hunting trip she dropped a deer with her first shot.

My beef isn't with her but with the IOC who continues to include "sports" like shooting, handball, equestrian, synchronized swimming and trampoline in the Games; while Baseball is currently out (coming back, I know). Handball? Come on!?

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-06-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
There have been professionals in the Olympics since the 1896 Games. When they decided to include fencing in the Olympic program it was determined that they should allow fencing masters who made their living by teaching. By doing this they could attract the best fencers of the era. This was done in 1896 in Athens and 1900 in Paris. The first Greek to win an Olympic championship in the modern games was a fencing master, Leonidas Pyrgos.

Up until 1948 you needed to be a military officer to compete in equestrian events, thus a professional rider.

Many of the early competitors in shooting were also military. The whole 1912 U.S. rifle team were in the military - Navy, Army, Iowa National Guard and West Virginia National Guard. It was not limited to officers though. One member of this team as a hospital steward in the Navy. The U.S. Army still has a sharpshooting team in Ft. Benning, GA that produces Olympic shooters
I was referring more to basketball and hockey. From personal experience all military personnel was also considered amateur athletes till at least the late 1980's. Not sure if it has changed since then.

EDIT: Very cool display Steve. Somewhere I have a Junior Olympic Gold medal I won back in the 80's for boxing. Back then the Junior Olympics was used to pick people to train for the Olympics. Sadly I never made it to Colorado Springs. I was one of those guys that could beat 99.99% of the people but the very top guys always beat me.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-06-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
I was referring more to basketball and hockey. From personal experience all military personnel was also considered amateur athletes till at least the late 1980's. Not sure if it has changed since then..
I knew that you were mainly focusing on those sports, but wanted to point out how the IOC has finessed the rules. I would rather see U.S. college players in basketball and hockey and not win a medal than the glory hound NBA and NHL players. Christian Laettner is the last true amateur basketball player for the U.S.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
.My beef isn't with her but with the IOC who continues to include "sports" like shooting, handball, equestrian, synchronized swimming and trampoline in the Games; while Baseball is currently out (coming back, I know). Handball? Come on!?
You should quit while you are behind. The fact that you bring up handball shows your lack of knowleddge of Olympic sports. Handball is not two humps slapping a rubber ball against a wall. It is a team sport. It has seven players per side, 6 who move on the floor and a goalie. The court is walled like an NHL rink and larger than and NBA court. Their court is 131' x 66', NBA is 94' x 50'. There is a goal on each end about 10' wide and 7' high. The ball is about 24 inches in diameter and weighs about one pound. It is very fast paced and can see scores of 30-35 goals in the pro leagues. I have watched the European Handball Championships and it is quite a game. You can find it on youtube.

Shooting has always been part of the games and will likely remain so. You could probably hit an 80mph fastball easier than a target the size of a dime at 25 m with an air pistol. I have never met an Olympic Equestrian athlete who was out of shape. The three day eventing competition is not a trail ride on a pony.

I don't necessarily think that synchro swimming and trampolining should be separate disciplines but they are. I can understand trampoline as it is used by most gymnasts to learn dismounts. It is also used by aerial skiers. I don't care if they bring back baseball but I don't want to see ML players. They are also adding skateboarding and surfing which seems silly to me.

By the way the only sporting disciplines the U.S. has not medalled in are table tennis, badminton, handball, trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics (a sport I would not mind if it was removed).

Sidelights. - 1984 and 1988 baseball teams - McGuire, Snyder, Ventura etc. are not Olympians. It was a demonstration sport and they are not recognized as Olympic athletes.

The 1980 U.S. Olympic Ice Hockey team had only 19 gold medalist on the team. Goalie Steve Janaszak did not play a single minute in the Olympic tournament, therefore he is not considered an Olympian an may not have received a gold medal.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
You should quit while you are behind. The fact that you bring up handball shows your lack of knowleddge of Olympic sports. Handball is not two humps slapping a rubber ball against a wall. It is a team sport. It has seven players per side, 6 who move on the floor and a goalie. The court is walled like an NHL rink and larger than and NBA court. Their court is 131' x 66', NBA is 94' x 50'. There is a goal on each end about 10' wide and 7' high. The ball is about 24 inches in diameter and weighs about one pound. It is very fast paced and can see scores of 30-35 goals in the pro leagues. I have watched the European Handball Championships and it is quite a game. You can find it on youtube.

Shooting has always been part of the games and will likely remain so. You could probably hit an 80mph fastball easier than a target the size of a dime at 25 m with an air pistol. I have never met an Olympic Equestrian athlete who was out of shape. The three day eventing competition is not a trail ride on a pony.

I don't necessarily think that synchro swimming and trampolining should be separate disciplines but they are. I can understand trampoline as it is used by most gymnasts to learn dismounts. It is also used by aerial skiers. I don't care if they bring back baseball but I don't want to see ML players. They are also adding skateboarding and surfing which seems silly to me.

By the way the only sporting disciplines the U.S. has not medalled in are table tennis, badminton, handball, trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics (a sport I would not mind if it was removed).

Sidelights. - 1984 and 1988 baseball teams - McGuire, Snyder, Ventura etc. are not Olympians. It was a demonstration sport and they are not recognized as Olympic athletes.

The 1980 U.S. Olympic Ice Hockey team had only 19 gold medalist on the team. Goalie Steve Janaszak did not play a single minute in the Olympic tournament, therefore he is not considered an Olympian an may not have received a gold medal.
Micheal, you are quite knowledgable and I am not looking to pick a fight but let's agree to disagree, Ok? I like to collect 1980's Toronto Blue Jays jerseys and you might prefer 1900's Oympic rowing medalists' autographs - both kind of niche and that's great!

Your clarification on the makeup of handball (team vs head to head) isnt helping your argument my friend. The fact that as a 48 year old, sports enthusiast I have never heard of 6 a side handball and must look to YouTube to find a game (along with semipro beer pong, I presume) tells me a lot about this sport - most clearly that it doesn't belong in the Olympics. Water polo without the water - neither is an Olympic-worthy sport, IMO.

You mention skateboarding and surfing - two reasons I can get behind these as possible additions: 1) they are participated world-wide on a large scale (Handball championships....please); 2) the world's youth enjoy these sports and the IOC Need to attract a younger demographic (the sports I mentioned won't do it).

Being a marksman in shooting is tough to do, for sure, but so is being a chess master - who wants to watch either live or otherwise. Equestrian riders are no wimps, I get that; but the horses are the true athletes in the equation.

Look, I dont have to personally enjoy the sport to feel that it belongs in the Games. I played table tennis and badminton as a youth at a high level and I know that billions of people in the world love these sports. Let's include some more popular sports such as these; cricket for example - why isn't that in over synchro?

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-07-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Micheal, you are quite knowledgable and I am not looking to pick a fight but let's agree to disagree, Ok?

Your clarification on the makeup of handball (team vs head to head) isnt helping your argument my friend. The fact that as a 48 year old, sports enthusiast I have never heard of 6 a side handball and must look to YouTube to find a game (along with semipro beer pong, I presume) tells me a lot about this sport - most clearly that it doesn't belong in the Olympics. Water polo without the water - neither is an Olympic-worthy sport.

You mention skateboarding and surfing - two reasons I can get behind these as possible additions: 1) they are participated world-wide on a large scale (Handball championships....please); 2) the world's youth enjoy these sports and the IOC Need to attract a younger demographic (the sports I mentioned won't do it).

Being a marksman in shooting is tough to do, for sure, but so is being a chess master - who wants to watch either live or otherwise. Equestrian riders are no wimps, I get that; but the horses are the true athletes in the equation.

Look, I dont have to personally enjoy the sport to feel that it belongs in the Games. I played table tennis and badminton as a youth at a high level and I know that billions of people in the world love these sports. Let's include some more popular sports - cricket for example - why isn't that in over synchro?
We can agree to disagree. That is fair, thus my presentation of facts. You defeat your own point for 7 not 6 a side handball by saying you personally have not heard of it. That should not be a disqualifying factor for a sport. There are more than 25 leagues worldwide, mostly in Europe, but also Australia, Turkey, India and Tahiti. It is also a U.S. college sport. for both men and women. I believe the U.S. Military Academy won both men's and women's NCAA championships this year and North Carolina is one of the strong schools in the sport.

Chess is a game, not a sport, thus it would not qualify. Horses are not athletes. An athlete is a human being, not an animal.

Cricket is not practical. A side can last for hours. A single match can take several days. I have watched The Ashes and other matches during multiple trips to Australia.

Rugby is a great addition. Rugby 7's is faster paced than the regular game. The great thing about this sport is that a small island country like Fiji is a beast in rugby 7's and could medal in the men's competition. The U.S. won the last two Olympic rugby championships - 1920 and 1924.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:08 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. That is fair, thus my presentation of facts. You defeat your own point for 7 not 6 a side handball by saying you personally have not heard of it. That should not be a disqualifying factor for a sport. There are more than 25 leagues worldwide, mostly in Europe, but also Australia, Turkey, India and Tahiti. It is also a U.S. college sport. for both men and women. I believe the U.S. Military Academy won both men's and women's NCAA championships this year and North Carolina is one of the strong schools in the sport.

Chess is a game, not a sport, thus it would not qualify. Horses are not athletes. An athlete is a human being, not an animal.

Cricket is not practical. A side can last for hours. A single match can take several days. I have watched The Ashes and other matches during multiple trips to Australia.

Rugby is a great addition. Rugby 7's is faster paced than the regular game. The great thing about this sport is that a small island country like Fiji is a beast in rugby 7's and could medal in the men's competition. The U.S. won the last two Olympic rugby championships - 1920 and 1924.
T20 cricket could be adopted and several of the less-popular sports could be dropped etc.

Are horses then equivalent to bikes or vaulting poles in your estimation? Get the best one off a shelf and combined with your fitness and talent, poof you are able to qualify for the Games? If the horse doesn't want to jump over the obstacle etc, you aren't likely to clear it cleanly.

I could care less about wrestling, sailing, BMX etc but feel they are fine to be included. People around the world enjoy these sports. You can claim that it is the same for the others I mentioned, but they don't make the grade IMO.

Chess is a game, but so too, in my estimation is standing still or lying prone and concentrating to accurately shoot an air rifle.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-07-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

yeah i obviously think its very easy to play any sport...... however i have seen hershel walker tryout for the bobsled team and i have seen a track runner compete for the bobsled team (lolo jones) but i never seen a bobsled team member than try to sneak on the track team.....certain sports are just easier to make than others..as some athetes that play one sport could have have played another sport....but i dont think any curling members could ever make the olympic basketball team.....more of a chance someone from the basketball team could make the curling team for example...you cant coach height...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-07-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM
$cotty @.utin

The military still has a strong showing at each of the Olympic games. Im biased to the Army, but the lesser services provide some competitors as well.

Here is your 2016 Army Olympians.
http://www.armymwr.com/olympians/soldiers.aspx

Dont forget about your wounded warrior competitors as well:

http://www.armymwr.com/olympians/paralympians.aspx

Added this for good measure, this video about the our wounded warrior athletes is well worth your 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM13pvi4JN4

**Be advised- stealthy ninjas cutting onions while you watch.

Quote:

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Rob

Back to the original topic, I would have to think the sport and the winning athlete (household name?) would make a HUGE difference in value even if the medals are all the same. e.g Michael Phelps swimming Gold would seem to me way more valuable than a ping pong Gold.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
You could probably hit an 80mph fastball easier than a target the size of a dime at 25 m with an air pistol.
Funny you'd use that as the example, as I've tried both. Actually, a faster fastball.

Batting cage at a facility open to the public, but used by the local minor league team. Threw around 90.

Almost no chance at all. all I saw for 40 pitches was the ball leaving the arm a blur halfway and heard the thump as it hit the padded backstop. Last pitch I got a touch on. Just enough to hear a slight ping, didn't even change the direction of the ball. The guy I suspect was a minor leaguer said I should go another round of pitches, but I said I was happy just having gotten a touch on one pitch on 40. Totally changed my outlook on even the worst major leaguers.

I used to do a bit of shooting with a couple friends of mine, maybe once a year. Tried a real target pistol, not air rifle, not the same level as the truly custom made stuff the world class people use but custom and very nice. Didn't do half bad. Got a couple on the dime sized center ring, and none of the others were horribly far off. got them all in maybe the space of a baseball sized area. But since my friends have done some competing I know for sure that getting from a "not at all bad for a beginner" score that would work out to maybe a 50 on a good day to even a barely competitive score is really difficult. Getting to the level of having a shot in world class competition? insanely hard since you need the ability, the dedication and time, and lots of coaching and support.

My approach to learning sports I don't know is to occasionally find someone who knows the sport and is halfway decent at it. And find a way to give it a try if at all possible. That's less doable as I get older, but trying a sport really gives you a feel for it that you just can't get on the couch.

I used to say figure skating can't be a sport as there's no ball, and nothing gets hit with a stick. After the whole Harding/Kerrigan thing I called a friend who was really into skating and told her that I had apparently been wrong about skating.

Steve B