NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Clayton

Default O/T?What Modern Day Cards Will Become Well Sought After Once Becoming "Vintage"?

Just for fun,I wondered what other collectors thought about this.What modern day cards do you feel will become well sought after once they are considered vintage cards-say,30 to 40 years from now?And why,in your opinion?
I know alot of people will say "rookie cards" of certain players-but what else?
Here are some of my guesses:

1.Montreal Expos cards.I know this sounds crazy,but I think down the road these cards will become well sought after.The team did move to Washington,but they are not "the Expos" any more.The Expos also housed some of the greatest players-Gary Carter,Tim Raines,Andre Dawson,etc..

2.Cards with the team name "Devil Rays".I know they are still the "Rays",but decades down the road,I think cards where they were depicted as the "Devil Rays" may become well sought after.

3.Upper Deck cards where players are are shown with team designation & uniform.I don't know a whole lot about the situation,but had heard that Upper Deck gave up their rights to produce baseball cards showing players on their respective teams in uniform.Please correct me if I'm wrong.But if that is true,decades from now,this could bolster the appeal for "the old Upper Deck cards".

These are only guesses and predictions of mine--lets hear what you think.Keep in mind,this is just a fun thing-my predictions could be completely wrong-and probably will be-oh well!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Jeff

Default A few names come to mind...

Albert Pujols, Ken Griffey Jr., Derek Jeter, Tim Lincecum, Jason Heyward, Evan Longoria, Joe Mauer. I think the best cards of these current stars (and future stars) will always be in demand (especially Derek Jeter).

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM

1993 Finest Refractors
Quality autographed cards-- we can assume people will still be collecting autographs
Maybe some of the premium sets like 1990 Leaf, 1992 Bowman, Topps Tiffany, Topps Desert Storm
1994 SP Die Cut set is a nice pick up-- premium set, nice looking cards and has the ARod rookie. Assuming ARod doesn't tank, that will always be a popular set
Some inserts or other rare issues may be sought after-- which ones I could only guess

Last edited by drc; 04-14-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Rob Miller

I would think the 1989 Upper Deck Factory Set along with variations would be a good read. I agree with the 1990 Leaf and 1992 Bowman sets as well.

I also agree with Jeff that any player who places with the greats in the history of the game would have pretty good value:

Pujols, Griffey Jr., Jeter, Maddux, Johnson, Rivera, etc...

Last edited by Robextend; 04-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Pack issued certified auto cards of the greats---willie mays, hank aaron, koufax, f. robby, berra, etc....Now those will have value. Signature cuts of the Babe, mantle, Wagner, Koufax, etc will be untouchable.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Johnny S

I think Pujols, Jeter, ect have already seen their peak and continue to drop. The demand might come back for a couple days after elected into the HOF but will never reach the demand it had just some years ago. They are nice but as far as investment and value not much better than garbage.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHarmonica View Post
I think Pujols, Jeter, ect have already seen their peak and continue to drop. The demand might come back for a couple days after elected into the HOF but will never reach the demand it had just some years ago. They are nice but as far as investment and value not much better than garbage.
I'll agree to a point. I think a card like the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols RC will always be a card in high demand for years to come.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
I'll agree to a point. I think a card like the 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols RC will always be a card in high demand for years to come.
Well thats good, atleast one or two of his 6,000 different rc will be worth something.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Jeff

I agree. I feel only the very best RC of a modern player will have any kind of future demand.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Johnny S

It's so tough to say, look at Jordan, Gretzky, true tougher to get RC that have really fallen, still in demand but slowly decreasing in price. Then with the new stuff that is manufactured to be scarce with limited numbers it's tough to say in 10-20 years if anyone will even care.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Clayton

Great answers so far.I've came to the realization that one day all of the modern day cards will become vintage cards-and it made me wonder about what cards,if any,would collectors seek out.

drc-it's interesting that you pointed out the Topps Desert Storm cards.Awhile back I ran into a seller who had around 20 wax packs of these,and I wasn't familiar with them.I bought them,and opened one of the packs.They were interesting,but not too "exciting" for me.I tucked them away,and pretty much forgot about them,until I read your post.Do you feel they will become sought after for the historical war theme,or more because they are a "non-sport" card issued by Topps?

What do you all think about the "roiders" cards?Right now,people are disgusted with them-but back in the day,people were probably disgusted with the players involved in the Black Sox scandal.Because of the scandal,adults and kids probably lost major interest in those players cards (I'm guessing).Now,those same players cards are well sought after.

So,do you think one day the cards of the "roiders" will be desired?

Thanks for participating!!

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM
John Hanssen

(((Do you feel they will become sought after for the historical war theme,or more because they are a "non-sport" card issued by Topps?)))

The cards he was talking about are the Baseball Desert Storm cards that have the DS Logo in the upper corner, they were short print cards that were to be given to soilders as a Thank You.

The Non-sport have very little value.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM

I was thinking that future collectors will be attracted to the nice limited sets of the day, which would include Topps Tiffany and the Desert Storm baseball sets. Desert Storm baseball cards were parallel to the regular Topps set but with a gold stamp.

Last edited by drc; 04-15-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Phil Garry

How about star cards from the scarcer Minor League issues of the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's. Could they one day be the equivalent of what Zeenuts are today?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 04-15-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Clayton

Great point Phil,I could see that happening!!

Also,thanks John and drc for bringing me up to speed on the Desert Storm cards-I appreciate that!!

Any other predictions out there?

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Johnny S

71 Kelloggs could be a sleeper set to have in 20 yrs or so, really the 70-75 are pretty sweet and with all the cracking, esp 70-72 those could really get hot down the road and are some of the coolest looking post war cards ever made with some big names !!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I think nice looking certified auto cards of stars should always have some value and especially RC autos of stars. the best RC's of stars should retain some value.

I can't see any jersey/ bat cards holding their value down the road. Way too many of them, and the idea of tiny swatch of fabric doesn't appeal to me. I think the idea of the vintage cut-auto cards are ridiculous as well. It's just creating artificial scarcity and hacking up autos that usually present better in their original intact form (like cutting up a check or a yellow HOF postcard and inserting the hacked sig on a card). Just my opinion.

I don't see many sets holding value that well except for maybe some sought after scarce ones like the ones mentioned earlier. I think the best bet is to go after the best RC's of stars and the best Auto'd RC's.