NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Doesn't seem hard to figure out who that person might be...and would explain a lot.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Doesn't seem hard to figure out who that person might be...and would explain a lot.
People who can remove items from ebay need anonymity, so if you think you know who it is, please keep it to yourself.
Guaranteed it was not me who removed the ball from ebay.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Brock

Well David has always been helpful when I've asked him about a item.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
And the fact that ebay pulled a PSA certed ball did not raise any alarms with you?,, how interesting, you had a buyer already so why think about it more than was necessary.
And you felt confident that if he brought the ball to PSA that they would get it right? (hmmm,,, who was trumpeting bravos to Peter Nash for his expose of PSA and Babe Ruth balls, could that have been David? yes it could)
WOW!!! talk about a hypocrite.
Hah! So now the final arbiter of whether an autograph is genuine is whether some anonymous person has it pulled from eBay. I suppose, Richard, if an item you listed on eBay that has a PSA cert was pulled, you'd just throw it away.
The ball has a PSA certificate, and the buyer a) knows it was pulled from eBay, and b) can return it if he's unhappy. If anyone but Richard has a problem with that I'd love to know. In fact, I'd love to know how Chris--PSA's unofficial spokesperson--feels about that.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-18-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I guess it does not compare to a survey of students who deemed you to be among the worst professors in the college you were teaching in, but it is something to be considered
LOL! A very small number of students who couldn't hack physics--and who probably received poor grades--thought I was the worst prof ever. Good on them for speaking their minds. My colleagues and fellow physicists, of course, didn't quite feel that way, as evidenced by my tenure, and my numerous research and pedagogical publications. You can't go into a research library anywhere in the world without finding my work. In fact, it's quite easy to find my work discussed in just about any library--it's been mentioned in many recent science popularizations, and popular magazines--New Scientist, Sky and Telescope, Astronomy, to name a few.
And you can find students I've taught and inspired (their words, not mine) all over the country.
Not too shabby for a professional life. I'm fairly satisfied--and as many of my students discovered, I'm not easy to please.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

I personally feel, and know for a fact, that just because an autograph is removed from ebay, does not mean it is bad at all. They remove good autographs all the time, and leave bad ones on. This is a fact, so having an auction removed is not always an indicator the autograph is bad or questionable.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Richard Simon

David, a few students? Not according to Mr Lichtmann.
How can a few students result in the rating you got.
And how about go f--- yourself to a female dean. Classy, but we knew that already.
You have always been a vulgarian, you cannot help it, virtually everytime you open your mouth or sit down at a keyboard you are a vulgarian.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-18-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I personally feel, and know for a fact, that just because an autograph is removed from ebay, does not mean it is bad at all. They remove good autographs all the time, and leave bad ones on. This is a fact, so having an auction removed is not always an indicator the autograph is bad or questionable.
Dave, how do you know it for a fact?
In a rare instance if they remove a good autograph then someone on the team has made a mistake. And I know for a fact the team is 99% accurate when an autograph is removed.
I can assure you they do not remove good autographs all the time. True that bad ones are left on.
And Dave at post #31 in this thread I asked a question of you but perhaps you did not see it, so I wanted to repeat myself about it now.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
David, a few students? Not according to Mr Lichtmann.
How can a few students result in the rating you got.
Richard. I'll put my professional accomplishments up against yours any day of the week.

One dozen--count 'em--one dozen self-selected students, out of the literally thousands I've taught, thought I was the worst ever. As I've said before, more power to 'em. Go check it yourself--http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/--if you think you're actually capable of doing some research, rather than quoting others.

(And if you don't understand the inherent bias of self-selection, Richard, PM me--I'll explain it to you.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

They are 99% accurate from looking at a scan? Wow, they are good.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Hah! So now the final arbiter of whether an autograph is genuine is whether some anonymous person has it pulled from eBay. I suppose, Richard, if an item you listed on eBay that has a PSA cert was pulled, you'd just throw it away.
The ball has a PSA certificate, and the buyer a) knows it was pulled from eBay, and b) can return it if he's unhappy. If anyone but Richard has a problem with that I'd love to know. In fact, I'd love to know how Chris--PSA's unofficial spokesperson--feels about that.
Chris was the one who pointed it out to me originally. I had not even looked at the thread you started at that moment in time.
--
Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
They are 99% accurate from looking at a scan? Wow, they are good.
Only openly egregious autographs are pulled.
The ones that are looked at here with laughter and mockery.
--
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The person is well known and extremely knowledgable, well known to the people on this board.
My items on ebay do not have PSA certs. In 12 years of ebay selling I have never posted an item on ebay with a PSA cert.
And if I ever had an item on ebay that was pulled, I would certainly want to clarify its authenticity rather than race to sell it. You were in such haste because you had a buyer, that you did not even care about the ball being pulled. If you did care you would have investigated it further like you did with the 1927 ball when Chris and I started to post about it. You asked the person you consider to be an expert. Why not ask him about this ball after it was pulled? Would have been easy and quick.
And the guy who bought the ball from you has obviously bought the cert and we have been through that buy the cert BS numerous times on this board.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Only openly egregious autographs are pulled.
The ones that are looked at here with laughter and mockery.
LOL! That's right, Richard. I listed an "openly egregious autograph," one that would be "looked at here with laughter and mockery."

Just like all the other autographs I've ever posted here, or sold on eBay.

I challenge you to find one example.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Enough. I'm done. I know who I am, and how I've handled my professional and hobby lives. You want to see what I've done, and how I've treated people? Google me. Want to see what Richard has accomplished? Google him.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Richard Simon

And be sure to go to the website that David has suggested, the student comments are just sad, they describe David and what type of teacher he was.
"arrogant" "not prepared" "terrible teacher, makes fun of students" "uncaring"
and here is a classic: "worst teacher i can remember, dating back to kindergarten."

And the person responsible for the pulling of David's ball has more expertise than the others in the ebay removal team, so he has more leeway. I should have made that clear earlier, sorry for that slip.

If David is done, so am I.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Jon Canfield

Hey guys - I've been away at a wedding so my response time has been slow.

To be quite honest, there was nothing malicious intended from my comment (and I truly like all parties involved in this argument, so my comment was not intended as anything more than an inquiry). I saw David posted the two balls for sale and was somewhat curious as to the price of the Ruth/Gehrig. When I clicked the link, I saw it was no longer up on eBay (but wasn't aware why). I then posed the question on the board (mainly because I did not have David's email address handy) to see if the ball had, indeed, sold. David responded to me very quickly to tell me what happened and we exchanged emails.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Richard Simon

Ok, thanks for answering my question Jon.
--
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Chris Wood

When first considering Leon's decision to create a separate autograph sub forum I didn't see the value, now after popping over here for the first time in weeks I understand and appreciate the separation.

In my unsolicited opinion the protagonists in this convo have dine nothing than hurt theirrespective "google reputations" and each seem petty and childish from this pissing contest. Have at it gents - it's better than being anonymous, I guess?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Richard Simon

This discussion was ended two days ago.
--
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
This discussion was ended two days ago.
Noted. It also lasted two days.