NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Holy Cow!! Have you seen the items in this auction!!

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=52399

Philip Weiss Auction...some very very nice items most with authentication from Spence and PSA.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=52399

Philip Weiss Auction...some very very nice items most with authentication from Spence and PSA.

the autographs are a mixed bag overall, some good, some......not so much. but that is a tactic used,,,, to mix it up, the good items try to give credibility to some of the other lots which fall flat for those who know, but for collectors who aren't paying close enough attention, or they don't know enough about an autograph to tell, it's what fools them. they think to themselves, "look at these great autographs, they must all be great!"

Last edited by travrosty; 05-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I was specifically referring to the PSA JSA items....still pretty nice to be on a site like Proxibid.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Philip Weiss is a legit auction house that covers a lot of areas besides sports memorabilia, and often has some pretty sweet items in many categories of collectibles. I haven't looked at this auction, but from what I have seen from them in the past, wouldn't think that any faulty autos were "peppered" into their auction intentionally. More likely would be them letting their guard down and a consignor slipping a few bad pieces in.

I would also re-iterate what I have said before: Proxibid is an AUCTION PLATFORM (i.e. piece of software). Just because there are a lot of bad auction houses out there that use it doesn't mean that everyone that uses it is shady. Same could be said of eBay: lots of shady characters, but some very good sellers too. Ebay just does a bit better of a job policing who is using their system.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Philip Weiss is a legit auction house that covers a lot of areas besides sports memorabilia, and often has some pretty sweet items in many categories of collectibles. I haven't looked at this auction, but from what I have seen from them in the past, wouldn't think that any faulty autos were "peppered" into their auction intentionally. More likely would be them letting their guard down and a consignor slipping a few bad pieces in.

I would also re-iterate what I have said before: Proxibid is an AUCTION PLATFORM (i.e. piece of software). Just because there are a lot of bad auction houses out there that use it doesn't mean that everyone that uses it is shady. Same could be said of eBay: lots of shady characters, but some very good sellers too. Ebay just does a bit better of a job policing who is using their system.
Lance,

I agree in regards to Proxibid and Ebay, I am simply stating that a lot of these items I would expect to be listed with an auction house that has a main focus on sports memorabilia. To appeal to the larger target audience.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:00 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Lance,

I agree in regards to Proxibid and Ebay, I am simply stating that a lot of these items I would expect to be listed with an auction house that has a main focus on sports memorabilia. To appeal to the larger target audience.
Sorry, guess I misunderstood your statement. No harm done.

In addition to having several category-specific auctions per year (stamps/coins/books, toys, sports, I think fine art too?, etc), I know they also handle some estate auctions as well and sometimes travel for on-site auctions. They do seem to be more of a regional auction house with a greater focus on the live bidding, though as you said, they do also use Proxibid to accept internet bids. In my head, I'm picturing something like the auction house on Auction Kings, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

I do know I've missed out on a number of items (or entire auctions) because I didn't happen to be at my computer at the right time. I've gotten so used to eBay sniping and late night internet auction bidding that the whole "live" auction format throws me I don't recall ever having bid on any signed items though, so I can't speak from personal experience on those.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Weiss is a reputable seller, and in fact appears on PBS's Antiques Roadshow. He sells mostly non-autographed non-sport, but also some vintage sports and autographs. I guess you'd call him a generalist.

Last edited by drc; 05-30-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

agreed, its the consignors putting in some questionable material, not weiss auctions, the auction house is just allowing the bad sigs to be auctioned because they dont know any better.

there is an operation bullpen muhammad ali signature in that auction that is obvious. some other bad ones too, but the auction house takes the consignments, the consignors may or may not be intentionally consigning bad items, but the end product is that its a mixed bag of some good, some bad autographs.

with the low starting prices on most of the stuff, they probably have hidden reserves?

Last edited by travrosty; 05-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.