NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Steven

Default What was the culture of this forum a decade ago?

I have been here for a short time now and have collected for over 25 years. I read on this forum how the discussions used to better, less drama, less personal attacks and overall a great sense of a collecting community. So I am curious to know what it was like.

How many of the threads were truly about cards, how often was new knowledge brought into the hobby relative to the current forum?

How much was corruption or the bad part of the hobby discussed in comparison?

I know there were personal attacks, archive has a big mouth, but how were they different then now?

Where is the knowledge of the average person on this forum relatively speaking? How would the average guy of 2013 compare to someone from 2005?

I guess some of the collectors here evolved and changed quite a bit, I would assume some you can see that in other members on this board?

I just really want to get the feel for the board from 2005 or older. Weird thread, thanks for any help.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 AM
pete ullman

I'm not sure if I've been here that long...BUT...I remember a climate maybe 5-7 yrs ago where amazing things would pop up on BST on a somewhat regular basis...at very reasonable...even "steal" type prices to the extent that things would sell within minutes of being posted.

I miss that!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Anthøny N. ex

This board was formed when John Spencer closed the Full Count board amid fighting and threats. Overall it seems a bit calmer now.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Roughly the same. Similar topics. We don't have many fight anymore. A few, it's just they're highlighted. And Leon doesn't allow political fight anymore-- which I think is good.

Didn't have the autograph, memorabilia, other cards sections back then.

I think there's a bigger crowd now, and larger number of very knowledgeable people post now and on a larger variety of topics-- just because of the overall volume of members. Before it was a smaller number of hardcore Pre-War guys only. I regularly see brand new people I'd never heard of before adding smart information to the threads.

2005's not that long ago. I'm thinking 2000.

P.s. I dislike board fights and high volume controversy. I can live without that stuff. As they say in sports, 'It's just a kid's game.' If you want to argue about what is or isn't a rookie card and whether or not a post card counts as a baseball card, that of course is fine. I'll probably voice my opinions on those baseball card topics ("Hell no" for the first and "You're kidding, right?" for the second.)

The previous paragraph was my personal commentary. Disregard if you wish.

Last edited by drcy; 10-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Echoing what David said, 6-7 years ago we had far more personal attacks, and they often got really nasty. And even nastier were the political debates, which we seemed to engage in pretty regularly. One poster might make a comment about some newsworthy topic, and it would go on for days and hundreds of posts. That is no longer allowed.

There were always discussions about fraud, about the same as it is today. Fraud is as old as this hobby, so it was always something to expose.

One way the board has changed is how T206-centric it has become. Back then T206's were discussed among many other baseball card topics. Today, every bit of minutia is dragged out in a new thread, to the dismay of many. If you're a t206 fanatic I guess that's a good thing, but collectors who don't like them find it off-putting.

But at the end of the day it's always been about baseball cards and memorabilia. That doesn't change.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It was the same cards back then as now, but I bet viewpoints and ideas about the cards have change somewhat. To start, far viewer buying graded cards in 1998. I bet most people bought raw. More information about specific issues in the hobby too. Some card dates and makers have been corrected or identified.

Last edited by drcy; 10-19-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I'm not sure if I've been here that long...BUT...I remember a climate maybe 5-7 yrs ago where amazing things would pop up on BST on a somewhat regular basis...at very reasonable...even "steal" type prices to the extent that things would sell within minutes of being posted.

I miss that!
you're saying you don't check the completed ebay auctions, cross-check that with vcp, then triple-confirm with cardtarget before pricing your t206 common?...or if you're a buyer after doing all that lob the seller a 40% lowball to see if you can "get a deal"?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:59 AM
pete ullman

quan...i still usually don't! that's why I've been known to sell purple E94's dirt cheap!!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

No banner ads.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 AM
JEFF VER.RIER

Post/opinion no longer available

Last edited by JEFFV96MASTERS; 11-17-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: PERSONAL
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default damn that link

lost 25 minutes I'll never get back - except - Leon's quote "You don't see me running an auction, do you? " and figuring out that adding an "S" to Peter's name spells chaos...................
Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I suspect the forum was much gayer before my arrival.Dave.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ahh the old Crandall and Saucier party. How did that whole Kevin as the grade master general of all TPGs work out again I forget?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Ahh the old Crandall and Saucier party. How did that whole Kevin as the grade master general of all TPGs work out again I forget?
I'm pretty sure all of Jim's cards are now double slabbed.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm pretty sure all of Jim's cards are now double slabbed.
lol

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned

BTW, he did start getting his cards re-graded, right after PSA announced the .5 grades. I remember him bragging about all the bumps he was getting on his cards.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 PM

Default Old Board

Quote:
Kevins posts actually were quite interesting. I see he still posts quite a bit on CU.

The forum used to have and still does to a much less extent...quite a bit of angst. I remember it being quite intimidating for newbies trying to learn all of the abbreviations and slang I now take for granted. The board was not real gentle on new posters. Fortunately that has changed.

I actually remeber reading through quite an involved thread on some intimate details of a particular set that I was interested in and had no idea what the hell they we're talking about. I've come a long way since then.

And yes Chao with an S at the end spells Chaos. He was an interesting poster. He had a good heart but perhaps lacked much in basic social graces.

Z Wheat
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Dan Studebaker

Popups, lots of popups. And then more popups.

It was also before everyone realized that T206s are the only worthwhile cards.

If you were a newbie, you read more and posted less.

But then there were the popups.

Last edited by dstudeba; 10-20-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Popups, lots of popups. And then more popups.

It was also before everyone realized that T206s are the only worthwhile cards.

If you were a newbie, you read more and posted less.

But then there were the popups.
What are popups? Is that like this "instant message" thing my wife talks about?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Excellent Thread!

This seems to be a somewhat of a semi~serious thread... So, I'll stick to the Topic. This is only my point of view!

I arrived just after a gentleman named Leon took over, as "The Local Peasant Owner". ;-) I somewhat kept to myself, learning what I could, from those who I now see as my mentors. A student is only as good as "His Will to Learn!" If I had a question, I took it upon myself to PM them, For those who decided to get into the mayhem, I believe, lost a bit of their passion for why they really came here.

I realize that this is just a Hobby, based on a Game, The Greatest American Pastime that will ever exist! And with that said, I have a gentle sadistic sense of humor. Heck, I retired from the Submarine Service in 2004, But one thing I've learned along the way, is that "Respect is Do to Those Who Came Before you!"

I didn't know who those people were. So, I became patient enough to Listen, Read, and find out who were those who New this Hobby Well! It didn't take but a few months for "Those Who "Knew" To Surface!"

In my humble opinion, Along the way, This is what I found out. That I am Here to Learn and have some fun, But not at another's expense with slander. I like to jest just like any one of us. I do admit that I'm not perfect, I've had a couple issues, 2 that I know of! These were minor deals, not words!

I Also found that We are Caretakers, Caretakers to what one day will possibly become Precious Artifacts... Truly! 7-10 years ago, I was privileged to of come across some of these Unique Cards. Most of them I found away from the board. However, I do believe that Pete U. is correct! I also think that there were many more on the BST. We don't see them as much for sale on the BST anymore. The Rare, Oddity & Freak Collectors have grown and thus these Relics will remain in their collections until the time comes for them to be pasted on.

For Those Who have been real & helped me along the way, With All Do Respect, "I Salute You!" Some of You Know Who You Are, Others I Still Need to Thank. Beneath the Business & Politics of this World, There are Real People who Truly Love this Game & Hobby!

I do my best to give back what has been given. I Have so much more that I can say... But when I Listen, I feel more at home. Those who have contacted me for advice, it's been my Honor & Privilege to Help!

I don't mean to be a sentimentalist, But I do find Grand Comfort iN the Words written here by my Net54 Mentor's! This is a Simple Hobby where Brilliant Adventures Unfold. LOOK(I also take this to mean "Learn"). SEEK(While you "Learn") & You Will Find! And as I mentioned earlier, "This iS a Simple Hobby!"

Oh yeah, in the past when I thought I knew, there was always more to learn! So Now, I know Not "To think That I Know", Thus the Adventures Unfold...

As Always...
Old 10-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Wow...been around a long time...I arrived before the Leon "takeover"...

Pop-ups were annoying...I do remember that.

There were growing pains and fights but some great information. I also spent just the first year reading. In fact, I think I averaged about a post every 4 months for the first two years. I was slightly intimidated by some of the collectors knowledge but learned pretty quickly that everyone had something to contribute. My own niche was under represented (T205) and I had a lot of oddball pre-war that I had picked up over the years that I needed identified. Eventually, I started posting more, encouraged by other collectors and friends.

I will agree that more interesting stuff appeared on the BST more often. Got some great stuff and deals. People were also willing to help more in finding stuff for collectors. I remember passing on finds to several collectors on Net54 and having others show me stuff too.

Joshua
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Ah, Leon's takeover. I still miss Jay (corrected per request).

As Barry said, seemed to be more inclusive back then. T206 got attention, but nowhere near as much as today. Same as today, there would be a couple of crackpots show up every year, stay for months, and then be gone.

Slabbed versus not was discussed a lot (slabbing was in it's infancy). In retrospect, the non-slab crowd ended up being dead on with their gloomy prognostications of what slabbing would become and the problems that would ensue.

Money/value seemed to be far less of a focus, but maybe that's just my current wistfulness kicking in.

Last edited by martindl; 10-22-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Leon asked that I add my name. I guess the 'Lee' reference caused some discomfort.

I'm Martin Dalziel (pronounced D-L hence the ID) from Coventry, England originally but in the States since 1981 and a proud US citizen.

Another difference from back when; we all went by our online names as there was little need to have to spell out your whole name.

Martin Dalziel
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Rob

The original Full Count board had about the same number of posts per day that today's reborn Full Count board has. The biggest difference today is that the board has a lot more viewers and members. Today, if you ask..."What card do you think is Obermann's favorite T206 card? Olbermann pops up on here and says, 'Rebel Oakes' or whatever he said.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindl View Post
Leon asked that I add my name. I guess the 'Lee' reference caused some discomfort.

I'm Martin Dalziel (pronounced D-L hence the ID) from Coventry, England originally but in the States since 1981 and a proud US citizen.

Another difference from back when; we all went by our online names as there was little need to have to spell out your whole name.

Martin Dalziel
Lee never had anything to do with this board other than being a valuable member. However, I am sure Lee would accept flowers if you really miss him. As for the PM I sent you about your name it doesn't have to do with this thread. It has to do with the comment (opinion) you gave concerning Heritage, in another part of the board. And yes, this board makes everyone be accountable for what they say with their full name. The forum is 25x as large as it was 10 yrs ago too so it's not a quaint little forum as much as it was..
I should add that Lee is also a valuable advertiser, a difference from 10 yrs ago too .

Last edited by Leon; 10-20-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ah, Leon's takeover. I still miss Lee.

As Barry said, seemed to be more inclusive back then. T206 got attention, but nowhere near as much as today. Same as today, there would be a couple of crackpots show up every year, stay for months, and then be gone.

Slabbed versus not was discussed a lot (slabbing was in it's infancy). In retrospect, the non-slab crowd ended up being dead on with their gloomy prognostications of what slabbing would become and the problems that would ensue.

Money/value seemed to be far less of a focus, but maybe that's just my current wistfulness kicking in.
Slabbing started in 1991, was hardly in its infancy at the beginning of this Board??

I think it's Jay Behrens you may be missing.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM
pete ullman

Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Barry Arnold

Default a decade or so ago

what amazes me is how resilient this board has become in the last few years.
There have been some very difficult issues which could have been quite
disabling for any board but our moderator did and does a fine job of incubating his
decisions while reaching out for insight and direction from board members.
I must say that I have seen this process grow more expert as much time has passed. In a sense, one might say that the moderatorial antennae have
become much more discerning. I think that has been a must since the board
has grown leaps and bounds since 2003 when I began observing this board.
I will say that since the board has grown so large there is much more
potential for seriously aberrant behaviors to discolor and distort the collegial
intents of this board. The battle between the resilience of good intentions
with discerning antennae and the resilience of self-serving and self-centered
cacophony continues. In very recent times, I have begun to sense the victory of the former.
all the best,
barry
Old 10-20-2013, 10:33 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Slabbing started in 1991, was hardly in its infancy at the beginning of this Board??

Jay the resident dunderhead? You'd have to be real hardcore to miss that guy!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 AM

Default The chat option was the rage in the early days

Having posted on the original Full Count board the chat option was the rage on the early boards. Things change I guess.

Patrick
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 AM

Back in the early years of this board, it used to take at least two days for people who won something in REA, to put it up on Ebay, boy how times have changed

I had the third ever post on this board after Leon and Elliott's introduction. I believe I said something insightful like "nice board"
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:

You're right, Jay not Lee. He added edge to the board which amused me at the time.

Re slabbing, 'infancy' was the wrong word. I meant it as it applied to pre-war cards and the acceptance of this community.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

There were more non-T206 'in depth' discussions. Most of the detailed card websites did not exist, so there were plenty of details about cards, etc., that we were still hashing out. I really enjoyed the esoteric card topics - most of those get lost very quickly now.

Vintage photos got very little airtime - other than David, I had to beg people to talk with me about them.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Steven

Thanks for all the replies guys, it helps paint a picture for me. I think it is very important to know where one comes from and no those that laid the groundwork.

So I still "pop-up" defined, and I have never seen the word "cacophony"...I guess I am slow, thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You're right, Jay not Lee. He added edge to the board which amused me at the time.

Re slabbing, 'infancy' was the wrong word. I meant it as it applied to pre-war cards and the acceptance of this community.
I know people strongly disagree, but I found Jay interesting and provocative as well.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Kevins posts actually were quite interesting. I see he still posts quite a bit on CU.
Kevin was banned from CU years ago, they even pulled all his SMR articles. He never went back on with an alt.
The only place he posts these days is Facebook.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
There were more non-T206 'in depth' discussions. Most of the detailed card websites did not exist, so there were plenty of details about cards, etc., that we were still hashing out. I really enjoyed the esoteric card topics - most of those get lost very quickly now.

Vintage photos got very little airtime - other than David, I had to beg people to talk with me about them.
Vintage photos are actually how I found Net54...hard to believe but I think it's been 10 years now since the Matty McIntyre album was cut up and sold on ebay. I did a google search after having won many of the photos and found others discussing them.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Also 10 years ago there was a ton of friction between memorabilia and card only collectors. There was a fellow named Robert Plancich who was really hitting Mastro and Dave Bushing hard on game used bats...some of that discussion was overtaking the board and caused a lot of fighting.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Paul

I would say the differences are only subtle. I still miss the halcyon days of basic text messaging, where you didn't have as much "noise" between each post. And the site was a lot less commercial.

In terms of substance, I have found that I drift from the threads more than I used to. How many times can I read about the different nuances of T206s? Still, I do think we need a good "F. Scott Fitzgerald" post every six months or so.

A while ago I went into the ancient archives and started bumping certain threads to the top. I thought it was awesome to engage for the first time on some topics that hadn't been addressed in a really long time. I think I went overboard, and got a slap down from the benevolent moderator. But, there is something to be said for the notion that we get a lot of repeat business on some boring topics, and other amazing topics get under-noticed.

Also, as the regular contributors start to "green", you get a lot of dis-interest in topics that have been beaten to death.

All-in-all, I haven't noticed too much of a change. Like I said, it's been subtle.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM

2 more big differences from 10 years ago:
1) BarryS used to correct spelling and grammar errors for everybody so
we could look more intelligent
2) More women used to contribute (Joanne, Julie, etc)

Times change.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Kevin was banned from CU years ago, they even pulled all his SMR articles. He never went back on with an alt.
The only place he posts these days is Facebook.
What he got banned from a place or had a hard time on another board that I don't belong too? I'm trying to figure out why that happened I'm sure it's my fault somehow you know ol' evil Wonkaticket etc.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Rich Klein

Default one reason this board stays strong

Is that we HAVE to ID ourselves if we participate in controversial threads. In my opinion, that makes us take responsbility for what we do or say.

Since unlike other boards, we don't have threads removed for the heck of it -- that makes for a more intelligent discussion basis

Rich
Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
What he got banned from a place or had a hard time on another board that I don't belong too? I'm trying to figure out why that happened I'm sure it's my fault somehow you know ol' evil Wonkaticket etc.
He unfriended me on facebook quite a while back...not sure what I ever did to him as I don't recall us ever having a problem.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
I know people strongly disagree, but I found Jay interesting and provocative as well.
jay's doing fine w/o this board. he's trying to take over the world one bbq sauce jar at a time. he's across the street on the other board if anybody wanna holla at him.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Dan Studebaker

A popup is a popup advertisement which would spawn a separate browser window in front of the one you were trying to read. You would regularly go to read a topic and get 12 new windows opening. You would have to close down each and every one before you could read about Julie's S.F. Hess.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
2 more big differences from 10 years ago:
1) BarryS used to correct spelling and grammar errors for everybody so
we could look more intelligent
2) More women used to contribute (Joanne, Julie, etc)

Times change.
It did not go over too well Dave, so I stopped. I am not sure many people care about spelling any more.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 AM
pete ullman

I do Barry...I do!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 AM
Barry Sloate

So do I. It is a personal preference, I suppose.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It did not go over too well Dave, so I stopped. I am not sure many people care about spelling any more.
Barry, did you correct grammar in addition to spelling errors? It seems like that would be a full-time job.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
So do I. It is a personal preference, I suppose.
I am also concerned with spelling and grammar. Dave.