NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Dan:

The only possible connection I can find is from a 1971 OPC Bazooka Hockey box, where the printers initials (JHL or HJL) appear on a flap:

I asked Bobby Binder (Vintage Hockey Collector) about what the initials might stand for but he didn't know and I have not had much time to pursue it since. Since it's a box and Canadian, maybe that is an avenue to pursue. I would think the firm was in the Toronto/London area.

My original blog post on it is here: http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7

Last edited by toppcat; 08-05-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Howard Chasser

Default A oucple of complete canadian boxes

Here are links to a couple of complete Canadian Grape nuts boxes that sold. Perhaps if you could get in touch with the winner(s) - you could get a lead on some of the information you are looking for. I was a bidder, but dropped out feeling they got a little rich for my blood - now if there was a Clemente............

http://feb13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=53722

http://feb13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=53721

I also have some type of advertisement somewhere that may have some info - I will try to look for it in the next week or so.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Canadian versions of the Post cards are by far the best looking of the sets, at least to my eye, and I pick them up when I can. I just picked up a Maris at the National. How can I tell which version I have?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962P Canadian Maris Variations & Grape-Nuts

Gents -- Thank you for the 2 posts pertaining to leads on possible printers. In addition, the color shots of the 2 GN complete boxes are very impressive.

The 3 Maris variations can be differentiated based on the following descriptions. I'm simply cutting and pasting electrons from NORTHERN EXPOSURE, so even if the MSWord text doesn't completely transfer , I hope you will have adequate information to determine which Maris you picked up.

ROGER MARIS – No. 6
3 VARIATIONS

OAT FLAKES – OF
 Border with solid blue lines
 Name in large letters
 Card No. 6 is elevated to left of top picture frame
 English and French letter “j” looks like an “i”
 French text for Home reads “Résidence”
 French text first line reads “Roger fut en tête de L.A.
Pour les circuits (61).”, i.e. “P” in pour capitalized
 Photograph depicts gray-blue uniform
 Cardboard stock heavier weight

GRAPE-NUTS FLAKES 12 OUNCE – GNF12
 Name in large letters
 Card No. 6 is elevated to left of top picture frame
 English and French letter “j” has tail
 French text for Home reads “Résidence”
pour les circuits (61).”, i.e. “p” in pour small case
 Photograph depicts gray uniform
 Cardboard stock heavier weight

GRAPE-NUTS – GN
 Name in large letters
 Card No. 6 is even & to left of top picture frame
 English and French letter “j” has tail
 French text for Home reads “à”
Pour le circuits (61).”, i.e. “P” in pour capitalized
 Photograph enlarged with blue tint
 Cardboard stock white and thick
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like a Grape Nuts Maris:

Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 PM

Hi Dan: Nice to see you are still active in the hobby. Me too although I regretfully no longer have my 62 Post Canadian set! I don't know the answer to your question but I think I know some folks who might. I'll see what I can do. It may take a bit of time but one old time collector I am seeing in the fall may be able to shed some light. Dave Sale
Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Post Canadian.....

Hi David! Nice to see you are still out there and kicking.......me too.

Grant
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Dan Mabey

Default Greetings to Old Friends

Hello, David & Grant.

It is wonderful to make contact with the dedicated legion of POSTulates. As you may know, since moving from Northern Virginia to South Carolina (9 years ago) I have not been actively engaged in the sports collectibles hobby. One driving factor has been a focus on community outreach, faith growth, animal rescue, and a significant amount of travel. The other issue has been a function of living in an area where "sports oriented" conventions and shows focus on guns and knives. The latter is not my passion, so ...

Thanks in large part to Rich Mueller, of Sports Collectors Daily, my modest reappearance in the hobby has been a stimulus to revisit and share the joys of the Post and JELL-O baseball card promotions. Once the on-line interview was published, I received dozens of messages from the US and Canada. Interestingly enough, it wasn't just collectors. I received calls from dealers, museum curators, and even small town historical chronologists. One gentleman from Kentucky is a newspaper and internet commentator that focuses on Americana, circa 1950s-1960s. All in all, it's been great fun.

One gratifying aspect of "landing" on Net54 is that it is comforting to know that the heart of the hobby is still beating. Sure, it's not the same as the first National off of Century Blvd in LA, or the incredible weekend shows in Buena Park, but I sense that the spirit and wonder exuded by true hobbyists is still out there. Every once in awhile, I swear I feel the ghosts of Burdick, Jasperson, Gelman, Riley, et. al. hovering over these posts. [NOTE: By ghosts, I do not necessarily mean all of these fine people have departed this earth.]

Nice to hear from you guys. KEEPMEPOSTED!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962 POST CANADIAN & U.S. LIFE MAGAZINE Variations

Gents:

For those who may be running out of challenges to pursue, you might enjoy finding and thumbing through the LIFE Magazine CANADIAN issue featuring Liz and Richard. By a show of hands, how many of you knew, and have in your collection, the Maris/Mantle Canadian insert variations? [See image below to identify that this is a trick question, in part.]

KEEPMEPOSTED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can LIFE0001.jpg (76.2 KB, 201 views)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:52 AM
Rick J.

Dan,
I am relatively new to collecting 1962 Canadian Post, but am down to about 15 of the very expensive short prints. I recently heard about your well researched book and my understanding is that you have some of these for sale. Do your books just cover 1962 Canadian Post or do you also have books dealing with the other Jello and Post sets from 1961 to 1963. I think I would be interested in purchasing whatever you have, but it was a little unclear to me what your asking price is. If you could forward any information that you have for me and tell me how to get the money to you I would greatly appreciate it.
Rick Johnson

Tags
1962, canadian, french, post cereal