NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default Who's your single favorite player of all time?

Sounds simple, but it is hard for me to narrow it down. Could be a player you grew up watching, watch now, or one you never got to see play but have studied and dug up photos and have watched via NFL Films or something like that.

I may change my mind by the time this thread runs its course (LOL), but I have to say San Diego Chargers QB Dan Fouts. In 1981, I turned 8 years old and "discovered" football. It didn't take me long to find Fouts and the Air Coryell Chargers. I watched this guy sling the ball all over the field and direct a wide open offense during a time when most teams didn't play that style. However, he wasn't all flash. He wasn't mobile and often held the ball until the last possible second, allowing a receiver to come open--and thus endured a lot of big hits many players would shy away from. He bled a lot as I remember it. On the field he was a QB, a leader, and a man. He never got to play for the big one, but I will never forget how I felt watching him play.

I also have to mention Lance Alworth. A great Razorback and Charger who I never got to see play but have a mountain of appreciation for nonetheless.

Who's your favorite?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Kurri17 Kurri17 is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 204
Default

Love the topic, because like you most discovered the game as kids, and nothing is more pure than a young boy's allegiance to his favorite player, or team. Mine was, and still is Roger Staubach. This infatuation took hold during the '74 season, ironically one which did not result in a playoff appearance. We had moved from California to Arkansas, and the Cowboys were on TV more regularly due to regional broadcasts. He was a classy player, tough, and of course there was his legendary will to win. Just something about him. Griese, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, etc, there were a lot of great players and QBs , but as the line in the song goes "I was Roger Staubach in my backyard", with the little pushing up of the shoulder pads before going under center and all. Heck, I loved Tom Landry too, and have refused to follow the Cowboys since the day he was fired, but Staubach was my guy.
__________________
Tradepage: http://jarik17.wixsite.com/mytradepage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:41 AM
commishbob's Avatar
commishbob commishbob is online now
Bob Andrews (threadkiller)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston Tx Area
Posts: 544
Default

Johnny Unitas. I remember being in church as a kid on Sunday mornings in the early 60s and praying for him and my Colts. Went to his restaurant in Baltimore once hoping to see him but of course, he wasn't there. I went to the Colts training camp a few times and recall him walking right by me on the way off the field. Back then you could get right up near the players, especially us kids. It was like watching God stroll past.

I had to wait to watch him play in person until I saw him in Houston in 1970 against the Oilers. Drove through a terrible storm to see him with my Dad. Funny the things you remember....the Orioles were playing a World Series game on TV when we left my house. He threw a late TD to Roy Jefferson to win the game. I'll never forget how he threw the pass, turned, and began trotting towards the sidelines. He knew it was on the money for a score.

I never thought a death outside my family would leave me grieving. I was brokenhearted when he passed away. There will never be another Johnny U.
__________________
My hobby blogs: Five Tool Collector 1959 Topps Baseball 1958 Topps Baseball 1960 Topps Baseball

Current Projects: 1971 Topps Baseball, 1953 Bowman Football, 1960 Leaf Baseball

Player Collections: Billy Pierce, Charles Bender, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Elston Howard, Mike Cuellar Always looking for unique Billy Pierce items

"...enjoy these cards as they were meant to be enjoyed." -sage advice from Ted Z, 2019
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Love the topic, because like you most discovered the game as kids, and nothing is more pure than a young boy's allegiance to his favorite player, or team. Mine was, and still is Roger Staubach. This infatuation took hold during the '74 season, ironically one which did not result in a playoff appearance. We had moved from California to Arkansas, and the Cowboys were on TV more regularly due to regional broadcasts. He was a classy player, tough, and of course there was his legendary will to win. Just something about him. Griese, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, etc, there were a lot of great players and QBs , but as the line in the song goes "I was Roger Staubach in my backyard", with the little pushing up of the shoulder pads before going under center and all. Heck, I loved Tom Landry too, and have refused to follow the Cowboys since the day he was fired, but Staubach was my guy.
As a Redskins fan I hated the Cowboys, but reluctantly loved Staubach, the whole on and off field package. I loved Jurgensen too, a truly great quarterback IMO stuck on mostly awful teams. And robbed late in his career by George Allen of the opportunity to play with good teams.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Hot Springs Bathers Hot Springs Bathers is offline
Mike Dugan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 935
Default

Bart Starr was the guy for me back in the 1960's. It was so rewarding to find that he was even an nicer guy in person when I finally met him ten years ago. Not often that your childhood hero turns out that way.

Also Lance Alworth, sadly my earliest memory of football on TV was when he dropped a pass in the endzone against Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl. It didn't dim my enthusiasm for him while growing up. I got to see him play briefly in person in 1964 against the Oilers with Ronnie Caviness and Danny Brabham. Lance received a concussion early in the game but we got to get close to him during the warm ups.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Kurri17 Kurri17 is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As a Redskins fan I hated the Cowboys, but reluctantly loved Staubach, the whole on and off field package. I loved Jurgensen too, a truly great quarterback IMO stuck on mostly awful teams. And robbed late in his career by George Allen of the opportunity to play with good teams.
That's funny. As much as I disliked the Redskins, I just couldn't dislike Chris Hamburger. Roger Wehrli for the Cardinals was another on a hated rival that was a guy I really liked.

And, Unitas was my first hero, I just didn't get to see him play for that long before he retired, but he is still up there as well as far as favorites.
__________________
Tradepage: http://jarik17.wixsite.com/mytradepage
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Staubach only had 7 or 8 full seasons I think, so his stats are not so great, but of all the QBs I have seen since I was old enough to know what I was watching, other than perhaps Brady, if I needed someone to win a big game I would go with him. Of course Montana is up there too.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:25 PM
pclpads pclpads is offline
Dave Foster
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: left coast
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Staubach only had 7 or 8 full seasons I think, so his stats are not so great, but of all the QBs I have seen since I was old enough to know what I was watching, other than perhaps Brady, if I needed someone to win a big game I would go with him. Of course Montana is up there too.
Not to be a contrarian, but I'd choose Stabler. Guy had ice water in his veins. Loved the way he so effortlessly flung the ball. Tough for me to choose between those Bay area boys, Montana and Stabler.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 PM
Rookiemonster's Avatar
Rookiemonster Rookiemonster is offline
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Nj
Posts: 1,344
Default

As a Giants fan I loved Lawrence Taylor. When I was a kid I did not understand the game that well. But I liked what I saw when LT was destroying everything on the field. He made me a Giants fan and a football fan. This is also the reason Iím starting to dislike football. Iím a fan of the big hit ! The brute gladiator throwing his body recklessly into his opponents body with utter disregard for either of there bodyís. Without this the game is stale and boring and I donít understand the point of them being paid what they do. My argument was always that they got paid for this body sacrifice they made.
__________________
Just a collector that likes to talk and read about the Hobby. 🤓👍🏼
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Not to be a contrarian, but I'd choose Stabler. Guy had ice water in his veins. Loved the way he so effortlessly flung the ball. Tough for me to choose between those Bay area boys, Montana and Stabler.
Yeah he never really got his due not sure why. Maybe the renegade personality, quite the opposite of Staubach.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM
DBesse27's Avatar
DBesse27 DBesse27 is offline
Dan Be$$e++e
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,142
Default

Andre Tippett!!
__________________
Actively collecting Carl Yastrzemski !
Also 1964 & 68 Topps Venezuelans
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2018, 04:12 PM
albrshbr albrshbr is offline
Bruce C.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 193
Default

Seeing all the great names everyone has already posted above, mine looks like a bit of a let down. But for me it was the Bills QB, Joe Ferguson. OJ had just left and we were excited to see what he could do. He had a couple of good seasons just before and things were looking good for the Bills. He finally got us into the playoffs, and played the game with a severely sprained ankle.

All-time great? No, but still my favorite player of all time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2018, 04:21 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrshbr View Post
Seeing all the great names everyone has already posted above, mine looks like a bit of a let down. But for me it was the Bills QB, Joe Ferguson. OJ had just left and we were excited to see what he could do. He had a couple of good seasons just before and things were looking good for the Bills. He finally got us into the playoffs, and played the game with a severely sprained ankle.

All-time great? No, but still my favorite player of all time.
And a former Razorback QB near and dear to my heart. His time at Arkansas was before my time, but he is still held in high regard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2018, 07:06 PM
kid4hof03 kid4hof03 is offline
Abe Kulynych
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burlington, NJ
Posts: 103
Default

Hands down, it's Staubach. I collect a lot of different stuff but the one part of my collection that I'm truly attached to is my Staubach stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Bigdaddy's Avatar
Bigdaddy Bigdaddy is offline
+0m J()rd@N
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 643
Default

Mean Joe Greene. I grew up a Steeler fan (in Virginia amongst many Redskins fans) and Joe was the greatest Steeler of them all.

I've gotten to meet him a couple of times, the first in the late '70s. He's the last of the great Steel Curtain DL still with us.

"Gee, thanks, Joe." I was always so jealous of that kid.
__________________
Working Sets:
Baseball-
T206 SLers, Virginia League; 1957 Topps; 1964 Topps Giants auto'd; 1965 Topps; 1971 Topps; 1972 Topps
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Writehooks Writehooks is offline
Murr the Blurr
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Republic of Alberta, Canada
Posts: 215
Default

Growing up in Western Canada in the late '50s and early '60s, my guy was Joe Kapp. He broke into the CFL with the Calgary Stampeders, then was traded to the B.C. Lions, where he teamed up with the great Willie Fleming to guide the Lions to their first Grey Cup championship. In 1965, when I was 9 years old, the Lions held their training camp at the military college where my father served as head PE instructor, so for three glorious weeks I got to hang around the players. Getting to meet and play catch with Kapp was a dream come true, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy. In fact, all the players were terrific in going out of their way to make a star-struck kid feel at home. Great memories.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 PM
ksfarmboy's Avatar
ksfarmboy ksfarmboy is offline
Clint
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 930
Default

Favorite vintage player I never got to see play is Lou Groza. Favorite all time player would be Ken Anderson. Favorite coach would be Knute Rockne.
__________________
Buying Kansas CDVs, Cabinets, RPPCs and other pre 1930 memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:07 PM
Beansballcardblog's Avatar
Beansballcardblog Beansballcardblog is offline
Kin K.
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 263
Default

Great stores yíall, please keep then coming!
__________________
Collecting open-wheel/Indianapolis 500 related racing (attempting the T36 Auto Drivers set), T206 (all Scoops Carey & Woodie Thornton), 1955 All-American football and WVU related.

My card blog: I Feel Like a Collector Again

My Collector Focus page.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; ROAKs received from CW & LuckyLarry
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Mean Joe Greene. I grew up a Steeler fan (in Virginia amongst many Redskins fans) and Joe was the greatest Steeler of them all.

I've gotten to meet him a couple of times, the first in the late '70s. He's the last of the great Steel Curtain DL still with us.

"Gee, thanks, Joe." I was always so jealous of that kid.
And one of the greatest nicknames of them all too. Classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greene.jpg (62.1 KB, 145 views)
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2018, 06:14 AM
mr2686 mr2686 is offline
Mike Rich@rds0n
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,213
Default

For the longest time it was Joe Namath. Loved to watch him drop back in the pocket with those gimp knees and then hurl one deep down field. As much as I still love Joe though, another Joe took his place. Joe Montana, to me, is still the greatest player, and although there is a current player that has more Super Bowl rings, Joe never lost one. I watched Montana, in the twilight of his career with KC, totally pick apart a very good Charger defense like he was a surgeon. That was fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-28-2018, 08:10 AM
jefferyepayne jefferyepayne is offline
Jeff P
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Staubach only had 7 or 8 full seasons I think, so his stats are not so great, but of all the QBs I have seen since I was old enough to know what I was watching, other than perhaps Brady, if I needed someone to win a big game I would go with him. Of course Montana is up there too.
I despised Staubach (and the Cowboys) as a kid but after watching his A Football Life episode I became a huge fan. He is the definition of the All American Boy and lives his life the right way. I made both my boys watch it.

Met him once years ago at a social event and didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Always sorry I didn't ask him a few questions and talk football ... or maybe bring a few cards for him to sign ;-) This was before I got back into collecting and the thought didn't even cross my mind.

jeff
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-28-2018, 08:12 AM
jefferyepayne jefferyepayne is offline
Jeff P
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
For the longest time it was Joe Namath. Loved to watch him drop back in the pocket with those gimp knees and then hurl one deep down field. As much as I still love Joe though, another Joe took his place. Joe Montana, to me, is still the greatest player, and although there is a current player that has more Super Bowl rings, Joe never lost one. I watched Montana, in the twilight of his career with KC, totally pick apart a very good Charger defense like he was a surgeon. That was fun to watch.
Me too! As a young kid he was my favorite player. Wish I had seen him play at Alabama when his knees weren't such a mess. From all accounts he was pretty mobile then.

jeff
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 AM
quinnsryche's Avatar
quinnsryche quinnsryche is offline
Tony Quinn
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,578
Default

Dan Marino. Cool as hell and a cannon for an arm. One of the best ever, even on a bunch of crap teams.
__________________
I Remember Now.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 7,083
Default

Jack Tatum . The Assassin. Name says it all: 100% badass. I got to meet him once at a Raiders signing show.



Historical nod to Jim Brown. The GOAT.

__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-28-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Tatum of course is remembered for the hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley but if you watch the film it looks more like Stingley who was diving crashes into Tatum at an unfortunate angle.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:09 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
As a Giants fan I loved Lawrence Taylor. When I was a kid I did not understand the game that well. But I liked what I saw when LT was destroying everything on the field. He made me a Giants fan and a football fan. This is also the reason Iím starting to dislike football. Iím a fan of the big hit ! The brute gladiator throwing his body recklessly into his opponents body with utter disregard for either of there bodyís. Without this the game is stale and boring and I donít understand the point of them being paid what they do. My argument was always that they got paid for this body sacrifice they made.
LT was an absolute game changer! Parcells and the Giants did a pretty good job of turning him loose to disrupt opposing offenses. I will never forget the MNF game when he crushed Joe Theismann.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-28-2018, 11:58 PM
familytoad's Avatar
familytoad familytoad is offline
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Posts: 1,370
Default Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Dan Marino. Cool as hell and a cannon for an arm. One of the best ever, even on a bunch of crap teams.
Yes!!
Marino is my favorite player ever too!
(As a young Dolphins fan I was Jim Kiickís biggest fan...and now I have ~50 of his 1971 Topps RC. Iíd like 213 more )

Todayís game is so much different but my main man is Drew Brees. I Love the Saints! Iím not looking forward to his retirement, although I know itís coming soon. I donít have any idea who I would cheer for next as my favorite current player.

But above and beyond all of this, Dan the Man is always going to wear the crown.
__________________
Thanks!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

See my SGC HOF Collection here:
http://www.sgccard.com/customsetcomposition.aspx?id=463
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,731
Default

Bill Bates is my favorite.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Kurri17 Kurri17 is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 204
Default

[quote=familytoad;1798964]Yes!!
Marino is my favorite player ever too!
(As a young Dolphins fan I was Jim Kiickís biggest fan...and now I have ~50 of his 1971 Topps RC. Iíd like 213 more )

Jim Kiick! That's cool, I kind of have a little mini-PC of the dynasty Dolphins myself. So, looking to complete a complete set of just Kiick, that's a unique goal. Good luck.
__________________
Tradepage: http://jarik17.wixsite.com/mytradepage
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-29-2018, 10:59 AM
tjenkins tjenkins is offline
Todd Jenkins
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Clark, South Dakota (rural)
Posts: 327
Default My Fav

No doubt on who this is for me. Easy choice because I grew watching him and was always amazed at what he could do despite the critics saying he would never make it as a Pro. He was undersized, did not have a huge arm but had a way about him. I arguable consider him the best scrambler ever. He had this way of finding a way to win kinda like Captain Kirk always found a way to stay alive. I would like to know how many miles he scrambled? When he retired he had every major passing record which all have since been broken.

Francis Asbury Tarkenton "Fran the Man!"
__________________
Collect Vikings, Twins, Vintage HOF and also Off-Center vintage. ***A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single card! -Cardfusious
Trade Page: http://toddjenkins.wikispaces.com/Cards

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 07-29-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-29-2018, 03:58 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

Barry Sanders, the man who could make a two yard gain look like the greatest play of your life. I really miss those Sundays.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Barry Sanders, the man who could make a two yard gain look like the greatest play of your life. I really miss those Sundays.
As long as the game was on turf. All the pundits rank him ahead of Smith, and perhaps rightly so, but from what I saw I give a slight edge to Emmitt as the best back of that era. Of course if Sanders had played past 30 his stats would be even more impressive, he racked up some massive yardage in only 10 years.
__________________
My avatar is a painting by my son, a recent art school graduate.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,002
Default

Larry Csonka is the reason Im a Dolphins fan, my fave football player of all-time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Hot Springs Bathers Hot Springs Bathers is offline
Mike Dugan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 935
Default

Peter if Sanders had run behind that huge Dallas line he may have had 20,000 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,220
Default

Growing up in San Diego in the 1970s, my favorite player then, and still to this day, is Dan Fouts.


Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with Leon, veloce, shammus, lharris3600, jimivintage, sb1, seablaster.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
Obak Vernon Tigers - all years
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:49 PM
JustinD's Avatar
JustinD JustinD is offline
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham, Mi
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Peter if Sanders had run behind that huge Dallas line he may have had 20,000 yards.
Agreed and credit to Emmitt for admitting as much several times.
__________________
- Justin D.


Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
Growing up in San Diego in the 1970s, my favorite player then, and still to this day, is Dan Fouts.


Steve
Great minds think alike!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM
samosa4u's Avatar
samosa4u samosa4u is offline
Ran.jÝ–h D.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
Johnny Unitas. I remember being in church as a kid on Sunday mornings in the early 60s and praying for him and my Colts. Went to his restaurant in Baltimore once hoping to see him but of course, he wasn't there. I went to the Colts training camp a few times and recall him walking right by me on the way off the field. Back then you could get right up near the players, especially us kids. It was like watching God stroll past.

I had to wait to watch him play in person until I saw him in Houston in 1970 against the Oilers. Drove through a terrible storm to see him with my Dad. Funny the things you remember....the Orioles were playing a World Series game on TV when we left my house. He threw a late TD to Roy Jefferson to win the game. I'll never forget how he threw the pass, turned, and began trotting towards the sidelines. He knew it was on the money for a score.

I never thought a death outside my family would leave me grieving. I was brokenhearted when he passed away. There will never be another Johnny U.
I enjoyed reading this.
__________________
Always looking to buy or trade for vintage hockey, soccer, boxing and non-sports.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Jeff Alcorn Jeff Alcorn is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 54
Default

For me it would be Eddie Meador, with honorable mention to the Fearsome Foursome, Ken Iman, Charlie Cowan, Joe Scibelli, and Tom Mack.

For my Dad it would be Don Paul (UCLA & the Rams), Kenny Washington and Gary Beban, with a nod to Bob Waterfield, Paul Younger, Dan Towler, Charlie Toogood, and Tom Fears. As you can tell we are 2 generations of old school Rams & UCLA guys.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 AM
Hot Springs Bathers Hot Springs Bathers is offline
Mike Dugan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 935
Default

Eddie Meador perhaps the greatest the greatest Arkansas Tech Wonder Boy of all-time. Well maybe second best but I am trying to be humble Especially since I never started. Well or even played in a varsity game. But at 5-8 128 I think I should get some credit for surviving.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-31-2018, 09:33 AM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Eddie Meador perhaps the greatest the greatest Arkansas Tech Wonder Boy of all-time. Well maybe second best but I am trying to be humble Especially since I never started. Well or even played in a varsity game. But at 5-8 128 I think I should get some credit for surviving.
Small world...that's where I earned my BA!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Hot Springs Bathers Hot Springs Bathers is offline
Mike Dugan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 935
Default

I was a little ahead of you I'm sure. My freshman season was 1972 the year after they played for the national championship. I later worked in the athletic department at Henderson State for many years.

I was at Tech last week and had lunch at the Old Bank Sports Pub. They have a nice Eddie Meador display on the wall.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM
skil55voy skil55voy is offline
Michael Skiles
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Avon, Indiana
Posts: 127
Default Favorite Player

Without a doubt: Lance Alworth. Triple teamed. Great Speed, could leap and because he was at least double covered all the time made Gary Garrison look like Don Maynard.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 AM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I was a little ahead of you I'm sure. My freshman season was 1972 the year after they played for the national championship. I later worked in the athletic department at Henderson State for many years.

I was at Tech last week and had lunch at the Old Bank Sports Pub. They have a nice Eddie Meador display on the wall.
Yes, you were ahead of me. I graduated in '95. I make it back there on occasion. I definitely need to make it there and check out the Meador display. It was a couple of years ago that I made the Tech-Rams connection. I had to reread the back of the card several times to make sure I was reading it correctly!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-30-2018, 02:35 PM
argpdt's Avatar
argpdt argpdt is offline
Andr3w Gr0ssman
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 124
Default

Steve Largent is my all time favorite player. I grew up in LA as a Rams fan (still am). I played WR as a kid and in high school and I never saw Largent drop a ball. He always seemed to create space with his routes and catch the ball even when he wasn’t open. Second favorite player is Marshall Faulk, an SDSU alum like myself. In my opinion he was the best all around running back ever.
__________________
Monster Number: 102
T206 Brooklyn - Have 27/27

Collecting pre war baseball and football, Dodgers team sets from all years, all baseball HOFers, NFL Hall of Famers, Los Angeles Rams oddballs and San Diego State football/baseball/basketball rare and oddball items.

Last edited by argpdt; 08-30-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-30-2018, 03:00 PM
jefferyepayne jefferyepayne is offline
Jeff P
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,768
Default

Boy, that is a tough one. Do you go with a star player from today? A player from your childhood? A superstar legend you read about in a book?

As someone who really digs the early days of professional football, I guess I would go with Jim Thorpe.

jeff
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-31-2018, 11:03 PM
DBesse27's Avatar
DBesse27 DBesse27 is offline
Dan Be$$e++e
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,142
Default

I should say that, although Andre Tippett is my favorite player of all time and I do collect him, the player Iíve had the most fun collecting (and getting to know) is Gino Cappelletti.
__________________
Actively collecting Carl Yastrzemski !
Also 1964 & 68 Topps Venezuelans
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 PM
iwantitiwinit's Avatar
iwantitiwinit iwantitiwinit is offline
rob.ert int.rieri
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,526
Default

L a m b e r t 58
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Showdawg Showdawg is offline
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 124
Default

G.O.A.T

 photo image_zpsetqhtd4m.jpeg
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-03-2018, 04:19 PM
familytoad's Avatar
familytoad familytoad is offline
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Posts: 1,370
Default Only here

I chuckled since only on this board would anyone have a remote chance of knowing what is meant by making ďGary Garrison look like Don Maynard!Ē

Great analogy for those of us who followed early 70ís FB!
OMG that is approaching 50 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skil55voy View Post
Without a doubt: Lance Alworth. Triple teamed. Great Speed, could leap and because he was at least double covered all the time made Gary Garrison look like Don Maynard.
__________________
Thanks!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

See my SGC HOF Collection here:
http://www.sgccard.com/customsetcomposition.aspx?id=463
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your 5 favorite cards of all-time? rainier2004 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 82 03-07-2013 03:39 PM
Single Favorite Topps Baseball Issue iwantitiwinit Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 101 09-23-2012 07:16 PM
All Time Team-Based off best single year Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 19 05-05-2007 06:39 PM
Favorite old time autograph Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 12-20-2006 07:14 AM
Your favorite player of all time Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 72 07-07-2006 12:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


ebay GSB