NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Staubach only had 7 or 8 full seasons I think, so his stats are not so great, but of all the QBs I have seen since I was old enough to know what I was watching, other than perhaps Brady, if I needed someone to win a big game I would go with him. Of course Montana is up there too.
I despised Staubach (and the Cowboys) as a kid but after watching his A Football Life episode I became a huge fan. He is the definition of the All American Boy and lives his life the right way. I made both my boys watch it.

Met him once years ago at a social event and didn't take advantage of the opportunity. Always sorry I didn't ask him a few questions and talk football ... or maybe bring a few cards for him to sign ;-) This was before I got back into collecting and the thought didn't even cross my mind.

jeff
Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
For the longest time it was Joe Namath. Loved to watch him drop back in the pocket with those gimp knees and then hurl one deep down field. As much as I still love Joe though, another Joe took his place. Joe Montana, to me, is still the greatest player, and although there is a current player that has more Super Bowl rings, Joe never lost one. I watched Montana, in the twilight of his career with KC, totally pick apart a very good Charger defense like he was a surgeon. That was fun to watch.
Me too! As a young kid he was my favorite player. Wish I had seen him play at Alabama when his knees weren't such a mess. From all accounts he was pretty mobile then.

jeff
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Tony Quinn

Dan Marino. Cool as hell and a cannon for an arm. One of the best ever, even on a bunch of crap teams.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Jack Tatum . The Assassin. Name says it all: 100% badass. I got to meet him once at a Raiders signing show.

Historical nod to Jim Brown. The GOAT.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Tatum of course is remembered for the hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley but if you watch the film it looks more like Stingley who was diving crashes into Tatum at an unfortunate angle.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:09 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
As a Giants fan I loved Lawrence Taylor. When I was a kid I did not understand the game that well. But I liked what I saw when LT was destroying everything on the field. He made me a Giants fan and a football fan. This is also the reason Iím starting to dislike football. Iím a fan of the big hit ! The brute gladiator throwing his body recklessly into his opponents body with utter disregard for either of there bodyís. Without this the game is stale and boring and I donít understand the point of them being paid what they do. My argument was always that they got paid for this body sacrifice they made.
LT was an absolute game changer! Parcells and the Giants did a pretty good job of turning him loose to disrupt opposing offenses. I will never forget the MNF game when he crushed Joe Theismann.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2018, 12:58 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
Dan Marino. Cool as hell and a cannon for an arm. One of the best ever, even on a bunch of crap teams.
Yes!!
Marino is my favorite player ever too!
(As a young Dolphins fan I was Jim Kiickís biggest fan...and now I have ~50 of his 1971 Topps RC. Iíd like 213 more )

Todayís game is so much different but my main man is Drew Brees. I Love the Saints! Iím not looking forward to his retirement, although I know itís coming soon. I donít have any idea who I would cheer for next as my favorite current player.

But above and beyond all of this, Dan the Man is always going to wear the crown.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

See my SGC HOF Collection here:
http://www.sgccard.com/customsetcomposition.aspx?id=463
Old 07-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Ben North

Bill Bates is my favorite.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Rob

[quote=familytoad;1798964]Yes!!
Marino is my favorite player ever too!
(As a young Dolphins fan I was Jim Kiickís biggest fan...and now I have ~50 of his 1971 Topps RC. Iíd like 213 more )

Jim Kiick! That's cool, I kind of have a little mini-PC of the dynasty Dolphins myself. So, looking to complete a complete set of just Kiick, that's a unique goal. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:59 AM
Todd Jenkins

Default My Fav

No doubt on who this is for me. Easy choice because I grew watching him and was always amazed at what he could do despite the critics saying he would never make it as a Pro. He was undersized, did not have a huge arm but had a way about him. I arguable consider him the best scrambler ever. He had this way of finding a way to win kinda like Captain Kirk always found a way to stay alive. I would like to know how many miles he scrambled? When he retired he had every major passing record which all have since been broken.

Francis Asbury Tarkenton "Fran the Man!"

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22

Last edited by tjenkins; 07-29-2018 at 12:05 PM.