NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,422
Default Venus and Serena

They play tonight. They first played each other in a tournament in 1998. IMO it's remarkable. Venus is in something like her 25th year of tournament tennis.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2018, 02:15 PM
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 333
Default

That is amazing. I don’t follow tennis, just a couple sports, but you seem to have at least a toe in most sports out there, Peter. Where do these two athletes rank in their generation, across the spectrum of sports?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by AGuinness; 08-31-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: I can't spel
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
That is amazing. I don’t follow tennis, just a couple sports, but you seem to have at least a toe in most sports out there, Peter. Where do these two athletes rank in their generation, across the spectrum of sports?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Serena is arguably the greatest female athlete of all time, and her dominance in women's tennis is the equivalent of any male's dominance of his sport, in my opinion. Venus is very good and has remarkable longevity, but she is not in the same league as Serena. She might, though, still be top ten all time in women's tennis.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-31-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Jim65's Avatar
Jim65 Jim65 is offline
Jam.es Braci.liano
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Serena is arguably the greatest female athlete of all time, and her dominance in women's tennis is the equivalent of any male's dominance of his sport, in my opinion. Venus is very good and has remarkable longevity, but she is not in the same league as Serena. She might, though, still be top ten all time in women's tennis.
We've been lucky to see IMO, the best Womens and Mens players ever at the same time, Serena and Roger Federer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
We've been lucky to see IMO, the best Womens and Mens players ever at the same time, Serena and Roger Federer.
And Nadal and Djokovic as well, IMO.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2018, 06:33 PM
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Serena is arguably the greatest female athlete of all time, and her dominance in women's tennis is the equivalent of any male's dominance of his sport, in my opinion. Venus is very good and has remarkable longevity, but she is not in the same league as Serena. She might, though, still be top ten all time in women's tennis.

Those are some seriously good genes (not to mention work ethic, etc. to put it all together).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2018, 09:20 PM
KMayUSA6060's Avatar
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is offline
Kyle May
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,327
Default

It would be more incredible if Serena (most likely, in my opinion) wouldn't have taken some sort of HGH.

Venus is the more incredible story in my opinion.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.

Current Project: Hall of Famers - 1 playing-days/involvement card (if possible) of each.
Progress: 150/323 (46.44%)

In-depth tracking here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-31-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
It would be more incredible if Serena (most likely, in my opinion) wouldn't have taken some sort of HGH.

Venus is the more incredible story in my opinion.
People have accused Venus too.

Little sister won easily tonight, no surprise.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-31-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:50 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 4,332
Default

Woman's sports for some reason allow for women of an advanced age to still dominate more than men in men's sports.....imo..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-01-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Woman's sports for some reason allow for women of an advanced age to still dominate more than men in men's sports.....imo..
Funny I think the opposite is true -- in swimming and gymnastics and figure skating, for example, teenage girls usually dominate.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS 2003 Netpro rookies Federer (2) Nadal Serena Peter_Spaeth Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum 0 07-20-2017 07:26 AM
Best Venus and Serena Williams Cards for Auto? canjond Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum 2 01-19-2017 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.


ebay GSB