NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Large pre-WWII American Basketball League (ABL) grouping

1930’s Professional Basketball (ABL) Grouping. What started as just a handful of photos turned into a big haul of some rare early pro basketball material.

Background info - The American Basketball League was the first attempt to create a major basketball league and was the top pro league during this period. It popped into existence in the 1920’s and then disappeared when the depression hit, only to reorganize in the mid 1930’s. League teams struggled to survive during this period, often only drawing 800-1,000 spectators. They played in some unique small venues and often had bands and dance contests after the game. The teams were composed of some of the top former college players but also from players from the working class, especially from the Jewish communities.
This group consists of photos of the 1937-1938 New Jersey Reds who would go on to win the title that year. One of their players, Moe Spahn, would be the league MVP. The group also includes photos of the 1940-41 champion Philadelphia SPHAS (South Philadelphia Hebrew Association), which was a dominant team throughout this era. Also included are the publicity promos for these two teams. These were published to be handed out at the games and included all kinds of league and team information as well as a scorecard. These are typically 4 pages (two leaves) each. Photos are 8"x10".

New Jersey Reds
Reds.jpg
New Jersey Reds Team Photo.jpg

Philadelphia SPHAS - Lautman, Goldman, Torgoff, Rosenberg
SPHAS.jpg
Sphas Team.jpg

Moe Spahn MVP - Receiving MVP trophy
Moe Spahn MVP.jpg

Promo Publications
Publications 1.jpg

New Jersey Envelope and Letterhead
New Jersey Reds Envelope.jpg
New Jersey Reds Letterhead.jpg

New Jersey vs New York Celtics (Willie Scrill was a recently retired New Jersey Reds player)
New Jersey Reds vs New York Celtics - 1.jpg
New Jersey Reds vs New York Celtics - 2.jpg

Details within the photo -
Interesting "net" on the goal
1 basket.jpg

Scoreboard
1 scoreboard.jpg

Band sign
1 signs.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 09-27-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
1930’s Professional Basketball (ABL) Grouping. What started as just a handful of photos turned into a big haul of some rare early pro basketball material.
Great collection, particularly the pubs. When I was a dealer, I would occasionally come across a program for the Washington Bears, a black pro basketball team of the early 1940s. A little easier to find were programs for the BAA Washington capitols of the late 1940s and early 1950s coached by Red Auerbach.

Last edited by Hankphenom; 09-26-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

that is some GREAT stuff! thanks for sharing
Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Here are some details of the promo publication material:

The Jersey material covers 11/13/38 to 3/26/39
Jersey Red Flashes Publication 1.jpg
Jersey Red Flashes Publication 2.jpg
Jersey Red Flashes Publication 3.jpg
Jersey Red Flashes Publication 4.jpg

The SPHAS material covers 10/28/39 to 4/6/40. This one includes a non-league game against the famous all-black New York Renaissance (aka Rens).
Sphas Sparks Publication 1.jpg
Sphas Sparks Publication 2.jpg
Sphas Sparks Publication 3.jpg

There is only one from the Kingston team
Kingston Colonial Capers Publication 1.jpg
Kingston Colonial Capers Publication 2.jpg
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Some good hall of famers in that material: Barney Sedran with the Kingston Colonials, Bobby McDermott with Baltimore (His induction year into the HOF was my first year attending though he was long deceased) and the NY Rens. The Rens are HOFers as a team and two of the members of that team are in as individuals - Tarzan Cooper and Pop Gates. Gates showed up every year after he was inducted and Johnny Isaacs appeared for many years.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Some good hall of famers in that material: Barney Sedran with the Kingston Colonials, Bobby McDermott with Baltimore (His induction year into the HOF was my first year attending though he was long deceased) and the NY Rens. The Rens are HOFers as a team and two of the members of that team are in as individuals - Tarzan Cooper and Pop Gates. Gates showed up every year after he was inducted and Johnny Isaacs appeared for many years.
Some of those Rens players also played on some of the top Negro League baseball teams.

Rob M
Old 09-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Some of those Rens players also played on some of the top Negro League baseball teams.

Rob M
It was not uncommon for pro baseball players to also play in the ABL, NBL and BAA in those years. I also noticed one of the ads on the same page with the SPHAS and Rens rosters. Just above the Rens is an ad for Sam Gerson. He was an Olympic silver medalist in wrestling in 1920 and founder of the U.S. Olympians, the alumni group of American Olympic athletes.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-28-2018, 10:48 AM

You're definitely correct. This is baseball Hall of Famer Lou Boudreau playing for the NBL's Hammond team against John Wooden and his Indianapolis Kautsky's team in 1938.

Scorebook - Hammond vs Kautsky's 12-25-38.jpg

Scorebook - Kautsky's vs Hammond 12-25-38.jpg
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 PM

Love it. That's an incredible collection you have there!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

[QUOTE=ramram;1816070]You're definitely correct. This is baseball Hall of Famer Lou Boudreau playing for the NBL's Hammond team against John Wooden and his Indianapolis Kautsky's team in 1938.

There were a few other players I ran across when I was collecting basketball autographs. Most of the other pre-1950's players had short careers in both sports. In the 1950's you had Chuck Connors and Dick Groat. In the 1960's you had Ron Reed and Dave DeBusschere.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:52 PM

Also Gene Conley and Bill Sherman, who I don’t think ever played, but did get thrown out of a game.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Also Gene Conley and Bill Sherman, who I don’t think ever played, but did get thrown out of a game.
Correct. Gene Conley is the only athlete to win and NBA and MLB championship - Boston Celtics and Milwaukee Braves. Sharman never played though I believe I read that he was on the bench during Bobby Thompson's home run.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Correct. Gene Conley is the only athlete to win and NBA and MLB championship - Boston Celtics and Milwaukee Braves. Sharman never played though I believe I read that he was on the bench during Bobby Thompson's home run.
That is correct.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:19 PM

If others have some early (pre WWII) pro basketball material throw it out here. It would be nice to see some of the items that are out there.

Hyee Auctions had five photos on ebay last week of Ft Wayne players from the 1920's ABL team. I picked up one of them (I believe this to be Homer Stonebraker aka Stonebreaker). Two of the other photos included basketball HOF Bennie Borgmann.

Rob M

Ft Wayne ABL (Homer Stonebraker).jpg

Ft Wayne Stone braker.jpg