NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Legs

Which team sport requires the best conditioned set of legs?:

Baseball? Basketball? Football? Hockey? Soccer [I]futbol/I]? The Rockettes?
Mule team Borax not qualified
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 PM

I'll go with track and field or team gymnastics.

American football has to most freakish athletes in the world, considering size and speed combined, so you'd need some pretty solid legs to excel in that world these days.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Bill Gregory

I'd go with hockey players. They're constantly on the move. The cuts they have to make on those skates are incredible, and they need to accelerate at a moment's notice.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would have to qualify the "best conditioned" definition. Are we talking conditioned to run a marathon or conditioned to weight lift? (as two almost opposite examples) And I might add boxers into the best conditioned athletes legs. I think I boxed about 3 rounds in my life. That is all it took to know what kind of condition those guys must be in. All that said, almost all professional level athletes (legs) in today's sports are going to be very well conditioned for what they do.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would have to qualify the "best conditioned" definition. Are we talking conditioned to run a marathon or conditioned to weight lift? (as two almost opposite examples) And I might add boxers into the best conditioned athletes legs. I think I boxed about 3 rounds in my life. That is all it took to know what kind of condition those guys must be in. All that said, almost all professional level athletes (legs) in today's sports are going to be very well conditioned for what they do.
I think the key word is team sport. I'd go one further on boxing and say Wrestling or MMA. Because the legs need to be all-around conditioned(for running a marathon AND lifting weights). Not only the typical push/pull. Legs need to be conditioned for power, quickness, endurance, and flexibility, as they're often used for holds.. However, yes, these sometimes are team sports, but let's be honest, they're individual sports in a team environment.. Same for gymnastics or track..

I'd say out of the "team sports", Hockey, mostly because of the skate factor.. I haven't met too many skaters in my life, who didn't have ridiculously strong legs...

Last edited by novakjr; 12-28-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Alan U

I'd go with cycling and speed skating.

Team sports... football because of the beating a player takes.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Soccer.... Although i hate the sport and think its boring as hell it does require the best legs. Imo
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:58 AM
bi11h00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I think the key word is team sport. I'd go one further on boxing and say Wrestling or MMA. Because the legs need to be all-around conditioned(for running a marathon AND lifting weights). Not only the typical push/pull. Legs need to be conditioned for power, quickness, endurance, and flexibility, as they're often used for holds.. However, yes, these sometimes are team sports, but let's be honest, they're individual sports in a team environment.. Same for gymnastics or track..

I'd say out of the "team sports", Hockey, mostly because of the skate factor.. I haven't met too many skaters in my life, who didn't have ridiculously strong legs...
I agree with the MMA. The legs also have to be able both take a pounding from an opponent as well as dish it out, without pads.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I'd go with cycling and speed skating.

Team sports... football because of the beating a player takes.
Cycling is actually an odd combination of team and individual sport.

While the US focuses on who won the Tour de France,(General classification for the rider with the lowest overall time) there's also a team that wins based on how they did as a group. Plus the overall winner simply couldn't manage alone. There are always a couple guys whose job is to burn themselves out fetching water and stuff for the stars.

There's also team time trials, team pursuit, and team sprint, plus the Madison and 6 day racing with smaller teams.

And those guys are hands down the best in any sport for legs. Both strength and being able to go a long time. Although the time is more of an overall conditioning. (An average pro might go 4 hours or more at a steady pulse rate of 150-160 then peak at 180+ for the final half hour or so as the pack speeds up towards the finish.

Strength? I did one summer of absolute bottom of the barrel cycle racing right after high school. I was fairly strong, but not pro strong. When we did leg presses before a year or so of extra riding/training I could do 500Lbs+ Probably a lot more by the end of senior year. (Moved a 900Lb pallet at work by bracing against a heavier one and giving it a good push with my feet. Not a good test, since the grit on the floor may have made it easier, but still...)
And the local riders who were just below national level were WAY stronger.

For traditional team sports? For strength I have to go with football linemen. Endurance, probably soccer since they're always moving.

Steve B
Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I'm laughing. Yes, well it was about team sports but that's the beauty of Net54 -- threads morph. Everybody please have a very safe and happy NYE. Anyway, here's my Rockettes example of great conditioned legs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockettes2.jpg (62.0 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 12-31-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
I'm laughing. Yes, well it was about team sports but that's the beauty of Net54 -- threads morph. Everybody please have a very safe and happy NYE. Anyway, here's my Rockettes example of great conditioned legs:
+1
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Anyway, here's my Rockettes example of great conditioned legs:
Looks more like an example of great cameltoe...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Rick

Definitely hockey; stopping, starting, accelerating both front wards and backwards on a much smaller playing area than soccer. Soccer players can stop and catch their breath, while the play moves on outside their zone of responsibility. Hockey players also deal with power plays and penalty kills. In the last decade or so the game has become much faster as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Alex

I have never played hockey. Of the sports I have played I would have to say soccer. It by far trumps track.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.