NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 AM

Default One of each player in T206

I am mostly a post-war guy, but do pick up the odd T206 here and there.

But, after going through some threads, and learning about who collects what when it comes to the Monster. I was wondering why there isn't people who collect one of each player in the T206 set.
Let me explain, there are multiples of Ty Cobb, Johnson, Christy Mathewson, etc.
In order to keep costs down and plus you have an option to collect 1 of cards, you feel is your favorite for eye appeal, aesthetics, etc. So if you like the Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson portraits, select that one for your set. You could look at it this way -- You have all of the players from the T206 set. If you are going for the set.

Is it because everybody has to have a "complete" set and must collect all of the cards.

Another option, one of each hall of famer, 37 or so cards to chase, give or take a few,

Maybe there are some Net54 members who collect this way, I just never seen messages regarding this way to collect.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 AM

Way back in the day, when I was starting on T206, that is exactly how I began. There is no wrong way to collect and this way give you a great group of cards without breaking the bank on O'Hara, Demmitt, 3 extra Cobbs, etc...
By the way, that lasted only so long and I wound up buying into the whole (519 so far) Monster thing. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Jeff C.

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I am mostly a post-war guy, but do pick up the odd T206 here and there.

But, after going through some threads, and learning about who collects what when it comes to the Monster. I was wondering why there isn't people who collect one of each player in the T206 set.
Let me explain, there are multiples of Ty Cobb, Johnson, Christy Mathewson, etc.
In order to keep costs down and plus you have an option to collect 1 of cards, you feel is your favorite for eye appeal, aesthetics, etc. So if you like the Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson portraits, select that one for your set. You could look at it this way -- You have all of the players from the T206 set. If you are going for the set.

Is it because everybody has to have a "complete" set and must collect all of the cards.

Another option, one of each hall of famer, 37 or so cards to chase, give or take a few,

Maybe there are some Net54 members who collect this way, I just never seen messages regarding this way to collect.
Jason,

That was my thinking many years ago when I started collecting t206.
So that's the approach I have taken and that I am currently trying to accomplish.

Also, I decided if a subject had a portrait and another card then I would acquire the non-portrait since there are already lots of portraits in the collection.

My signature has my progress.
Thanks for the callout!
Jeff

trdcrdkid; michael peich; baseball*collectibles; hardspun8; iowadoc77; deafsports; rdixon1208; r0ck8ott0m; comiskey; lukelyon; t206collector; jcc; mybuddyinc; lharri3600; majordandy; brass_rat; obcbobd; cozumeleno; milkit1; joem36; jlehma13; thromdog; sean1125; zachs; jasonc; jollyroger; dougscats; vintageismygame; jmanos; t206blogcom; bn2cardz; btcarfagno; ionlysmoke4thecards; gradedcardman; mantleman + I think I’m forgetting a few people.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default T206 set - one example only

I think the biggest reason why you don't see more people stop at one card per player is that there are around 390 different players. If you can get 390 different cards it just seems silly at that point not to go to
518. Especially when many of those remaining 125-130
Cards are HOFers.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I started with that in mind and ended up with a set of 520.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:42 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I feel personally that someone should hoard Malarkey, and then have a different someone say to them, just for the satisfaction, "..."
Old 09-06-2014, 01:38 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I was wondering why there isn't people who collect one of each player in the T206 set.
What you're talking about, for the benefit of those who may be reading this post first, is collecting the cards of players who are included in the T206 set, but instead of, for example, the T206 Wagner, you would buy a different Honus Wagner card - year and manufacturer do not matter.

This is a great idea!

I'd like to throw in a suggestion to anyone trying to collect an "alternate" T206 set, and that is to add a reprint T206 set to the collection. It will help to tie everything together, and if you show your cards to non-collectors you'll be able to easier convey your goal.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default HOFers

When I started going after T206 about 12-15 yrs ago, I was only focused on the attainable HOFers (excluding Plank and Wagner). This never changed and now that I have them all, I am basically done, with no desire to go for the set. I still occasionally look for upgrades, and have picked up and a handful of significant non HOFers (Merkle, Snodgrass, Chase, Cicotte, Gandil, etc), but am otherwise content.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Jon L

I am building a 390 beater set. For me, this has the ultimate way to keep costs at a minimum. I have made it a point with some cards to acquire the best looking version if multiples exist (Mathewson portrait, Johnson portrait, etc). At the moment, I have no urge to go to 518 but it may happen at some point down the road.