NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I suspect that at some point ebay will get rid of the 'bid retractions' information, as it hinders shilling by their larger accounts.
Scott, you mean that Ebay is not going to pay me a royalty for my suggestion.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I suspect that at some point ebay will get rid of the 'bid retractions' information, as it hinders shilling by their larger accounts.
At this point the fact that you can still see it is likely an oversight.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Hey Scott, whoa whoa whoa! Rick says everyone has auctions with dozens of retractions!

Just like everyone buys a Mathewson ball in REA and then miraculously a few months later it ends up being auctioned by said person with a shill underbid for EXACTLY what he paid for it! Happens all the time!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Hey Scott, whoa whoa whoa! Rick says everyone has auctions with dozens of retractions!
It's hard to argue with the 'everyone else...' logic. Glad to say I've never had to use it.

This is not the greatest lemming cartoon, but it has my name in it.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-05-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Oh come on. I gave the board all day to let the comment bump the thread. No suprise it didn't. Everyone has a really loud voice up until now, and then when the email blast from the board goes out, all you heare are crickets about it?

Seems hypocritical to me.

Not one person on here feels that the board shouldn't perpetuate Rick's auctions and drive more business to him, knowing he is 'turning a blind eye' so they can be defrauded by shill bidders?

You guys are laughable. "The silence is deafening."

kevin quinn

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
Oh come on. I gave the board all day to let the comment bump the thread. No suprise it didn't. Everyone has a really loud voice up until now, and then when the email blast from the board goes out, all you heare are crickets about it?

Not one person on here feels that the board shouldn't perpetuate Rick's auctions and drive more business to him, knowing he is 'turning a blind eye' so they can be defrauded by shill bidders?

You guys are laughable. "The slince is deafening."

kevin quinn
Not a clue what you are talking about...
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

The email that went out today from the board:
Quote:
**Net54baseball Advertising Supplement**

Probstein123 currently has over 5000 auctions ending this week :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/probstein123...c&LH_Auction=1
================================================== =

Ebay Seller Probstein123 is actively accepting consignments !!

( these rates are for individual auctions )

over $2500 , you get 90% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $1000-$2499 , you get 89% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw 100-$999 , you get 88% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $50-99 , you get 87% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $25-49 , you get 86% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) btw $10-$25 , you get 85% of the sales price ( probstein123 pays all ebay and paypal fees ) below $10 , you get charged $1.00 per auction plus 8% of the final sales price

** Posting priority is given to high dollar items and slabbed items.

for shipping:
Probstein123
PO BOX 1079
Clifton NJ 07014

Our rates are the best in the business, please call me anytime to discuss your collection/consignments...
thanks,

Rick Probstein
973 747 6304
http://stores.ebay.com/probstein123

***To Unsubscribe from all future hobby related emails please type Unsubscribe in the subject title and respond to this email.
kevin quinn
Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

You guys are laughable. "The slince is deafening."

kevin quinn
Oh my God...The hits keep on coming....
Old 12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

What the hell is a slince??
Old 12-10-2013, 05:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I don't know, but it is deafening.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The email that went out today from the board:

kevin quinn
I personally delete those without ever reading. I do understand what you are saying but Leon has said he thinks Rick does not let it(shilling) happen on purpose and it is his forum and his mass email he is making $ for sending out. I am guessing he is making money for the advertising or at least hope he is.

So who do you think we should be outraged against? Rick for advertising or Leon for sending out the email.

Last edited by bnorth; 12-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
i corrected the typo, for all of you who are fixated on my typographical error.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I personally delete those without ever reading. I do understand what you are saying but Leon has said he thinks Rick does not let it(shilling) happen on purpose and it is his forum and his mass email he is making $ for sending out. I am guessing he is making money for the advertising or at least hope he is.

So who do you think we should be outraged against? Rick for advertising or Leon for sending out the email.
I'm commenting about how the peanut gallery that is always is on these threads never turn their eyes inward. If they are so focused on the hobby and making sure that no one is getting defrauded, then why hasn't anyone made the comment that I did.

Where are all of the probstien hating activists, making the comment that I made. Clearly it is a double edged sword, the peanut gallery is swinging?

Other business, chose, for the reputation of their own business to not do business with certian people as it brings their own reputation down. Think about any professional sports endorser. Think about all of the other mishaps, with television and other large companies.

Should the board set an example and not perpetuate the problem, knowing their is no activisim in the time of a growing problem?

kevin quinn

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I think just about anyone should be allowed to advertise here, except that guy that used to scream, "You're gonna get the Mcgwire Rookie!" on HSN.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Kevin- not really sure where you're coming from....Posts about Probstein have been going on since Godzilla was a lizard. What exactly is your stance, and even more important, your solution?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I think just about anyone should be allowed to advertise here, except that guy that used to scream, "You're gonna get the Mcgwire Rookie!" on HSN.
+1, that idiot wore me out....
Old 12-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
So even if Rick allows it to happen, by not proactively finding and fixing the problem, you think the board should allow him to advertise hear to the other members? What if that member doesn't see the posts and gets shill bidded on. You wouldn't say that the board has a moral responsibility to its users and readers?

Kevin
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Tucking fypos
Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Kevin- not really sure where you're coming from....Posts about Probstein have been going on since Godzilla was a lizard. What exactly is your stance, and even more important, your solution?
My stance has been pretty clear.

1) Not everything the guy does is bad. Not every card is suspect.

2) He should do more about the problem.

3) Conversation about Rick's auctions, going back to Godzilla's infancy is worthless if the board is going to actively keep sending customers to him.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Kevin- First of all, I think bid shilling is a big problem in the hobby, and a big percentage of collectors have been guilty of it. But it's not the biggest problem in the hobby, far from it. I have never done it, and I'm proud of that...I have bought tons of T206s over the past several years, and I always had a pretty good idea of where my stopping point is. Nevertheless, it is a bogus act, and should be treated as such. Having said that, I honestly think there are a huge percentage of big auctions that have this going on.... big time, IMO....
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Kevin- First of all, I think bid shilling is a big problem in the hobby, and a big percentage of collectors have been guilty of it. But it's not the biggest problem in the hobby, far from it. I have never done it, and I'm proud of that...I have bought tons of T206s over the past several years, and I always had a pretty good idea of where my stopping point is. Nevertheless, it is a bogus act, and should be treated as such. Having said that, I honestly think there are a huge percentage of big auctions that have this going on.... big time, IMO....
Concur. It's widespread, but in my opinion there are significantly bigger problems.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Giddy Up
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgold View Post
giddy up :d:d:d
lol.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Concur. It's widespread, but in my opinion there are significantly bigger problems.
So now there are bigger problems? What problems are bigger?

You are always on these threads. Do you a believe the board should sell advertising to Rick given he is turning a blind eye or not?

What is your opinion?

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

I agree with kevin on this one...shocker!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
So even if Rick allows it to happen, by not proactively finding and fixing the problem, you think the board should allow him to advertise hear to the other members? What if that member doesn't see the posts and gets shill bidded on. You wouldn't say that the board has a moral responsibility to its users and readers?

Kevin
The Board? I get what you are saying about responsibility to the hobby. In fact, I am bidding on a couple of Pastels as we speak and the two parties I am bidding against are stopping me from budding what I would like as I suspect shilling (and it is not a Probstein auction). One bidder has 85% of bids with this seller, the other bidder has multiple retractions. Paranoia is taking over, I am out.

But I digress. The Board? Isn't this Leon's forum? Are you suggesting we make our feelings known to Leon? Doesn't he know? Should we boycott the board?

I will say this. The comments from members on this thread, among others, has made me extremely cautious and sensitive about shills. Maybe too much, in fact. Keep it coming, I'll keep learning and I thank you all for that.

Keith
...whatever I want
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM
pete ullman

But then again... Eliminating advertisers with a history of shadiness would eliminate A good portion of the advertisers?!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I agree with kevin on this one...shocker!!!
Thanks Pete....I guess??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-10-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM
pete ullman

The other kevin!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So now there are bigger problems? What problems are bigger?

You are always on these threads. Do you a believe the board should sell advertising to Rick given he is turning a blind eye or not?

What is your opinion?

Kevin
Card doctoring, to me, is a far bigger problem. As for ads, personally, I have seen enough from several folks that I would just as soon they not advertise here. But on the other hand that's easy for me to say because it's not my Board or my livelihood, and if it were, I might require more proof, or be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. The most important thing is that Rick's status as an advertiser not affect the level of scrutiny given to his auctions insofar as we have visibility into them (and we have less every day thanks to ebay), and hopefully it won't.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
My stance has been pretty clear.

1) Not everything the guy does is bad. Not every card is suspect.
Not everything Ted Bundy did was bad either. After all, he did volunteer work and saved a 3 yr old boy from drowning. (No, I'm NOT comparing shilling to murder; simply making a point that doing good doesn't always justify doing bad)

Quote:
2) He should do more about the problem.
We all agree with you there

Quote:
3) Conversation about Rick's auctions, going back to Godzilla's infancy is worthless if the board is going to actively keep sending customers to him.

Kevin
I actually agree with you there. At least until the Panky situation is cleared up I don't agree with advertising P123 either.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Indeed.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 PM

I received teh e mail from Leon about the Probstein auction. I read it, laughed and then deleted it.

As far as receiving e mails like that about a person who has negative issues surrounding them, I would rather not. However, if Leon feels OK with doing it then there isn't much I can do about it.

Now, if Leon sent out advertising e mails like that and THEN deleted and or banned people from giving negative comments about the person or company that was advertising (like what happens on the CU board that I hear about) then I would have a REAL problem with it.

David S.mith
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

The board is a community and has a governing set of rules and people that enforce the rules. Much like government. If the people who live under the rules are not happy they get voiced, changed or people leave.

Not really any different here on the board. If the number of users fell off because of discontent, then the value of the ad spot would decrease you might see something like that happen.

I'm surprised I was the one that had to do it. I understand its his business and I'm not even suggesting he not sell Rick the ad spot...per say.

I'm merely calling attention to the duality here.

What could easily happen is to say... We will sell you the ad but let's see some of these wonderful ideas get done. Then it's a win for everyone and Rick sees there is business peer level push back. That goes a lot further, than taking care of one issue at a time, after things have already happened and they are pointed out to him. It would start to let him know there are social consequences in the business community for ignoring the issues brought forth.

Makes sense right?

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-10-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Exactly what Peter said

I agree 100%. With his last post.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
I received teh e mail from Leon about the Probstein auction. I read it, laughed and then deleted it.

As far as receiving e mails like that about a person who has negative issues surrounding them, I would rather not. However, if Leon feels OK with doing it then there isn't much I can do about it.

Now, if Leon sent out advertising e mails like that and THEN deleted and or banned people from giving negative comments about the person or company that was advertising (like what happens on the CU board that I hear about) then I would have a REAL problem with it.

David S.mith
I took the email as a call-to-arms to Peter, that I received by mistake.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Oh, you mean like a Bat signal type of thing? :-)

David
Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

1) Shilling is illegal/immoral
2) P123 condones shilling
3) P123 (finish this logical sequence)

D@V1D $H1P$EY
Old 12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Still no replies from jeff, john or chris about their feelings on the emails.

They are all over these threads, not sure why they haven't spoken up yet.

Am i leaving anyone else, that is always on these threads off of that list?

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 12-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Kevin, I have never expressed an opinion of Rick or his auctions not once. Not sure why you're asking me to chime in?

Opinions I have expressed towards you….

I have expressed that I thought you suffered from a fascination with male genitalia, with all of your vulgar comments. Also I laughed at your top secret squirrel hobby behind the scenes efforts that you seem to always hint about. In a "nut" (get it squirrel joke) shell I have come to the overall conclusion that you are a walking pair of clown shoes.

To answer what I assume to be your question even with the advent of Probstein ad emails from Net54/Leon my opinions of you still stand as above.

Thanks for checking in, now I’ll let you get back to your top secret important hobby saving work.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I'm feeling left out, I didn't get the email.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

I have expressed that I thought you suffered from a fascination with male genitalia, with all of your vulgar comments. Also I laughed at your top secret squirrel hobby behind the scenes efforts that you seem to always hint about. In a nut shell I have come to the overall conclusion that you are a walking pair of clown shoes.

I think this represents my position as well.

Edited to add: wait, I also think blah blah blazy blah.

Last edited by calvindog; 12-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Lolololol
Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

The three of you just proved, that yes, I nor anyone else should care about the posts you throw onto these threads. I expected to hear your absolute outrage!

Thanks for confirming that for everyone else.

Kevin
Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
The three of you just proved, that yes, I nor anyone else should care about the posts you throw onto these threads. I expected to hear your absolute outrage!

Thanks for confirming that for everyone else.

Kevin
Putz, first you claimed that simply ranting on these threads was worthless -- that your idiotic, every word misspelled initiatives were more worthwhile. Now you're telling us that ranting is better; probably because sitting at home masturbating all day is not the sort of initiative that actually stops fraud in the hobby.

Here's a clue: no one responds to your requests for information because you're a weird idiot.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Yeah pretty much my thoughts too....

I also have not been in on any of the Probstein threads once again short of to say exactly that....that you Kevin are an absolute holiday fruitcake.

I don’t say this out of anger nor bitterness. I simply claim this fact as a fact its 23 degrees outside on 12/12/13 at 8:47pm and I feel that Kevin is the kind of guy who has to be held back from chasing fire trucks yet doesn’t work with the fire department.