NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I don't do bad stuff not so much because I chose not to, but because I don't even think of it.

Also, I'm lazy and shilling sounds like too much work.

Similar here LOL! Been running auctions on Ebay since '99 or so. Never even thought of it, and don't really understand the point, though I see the accusation getting thrown around constantly, whether deserved or not.

I'd like to think, the vast majority of sellers out there think the same way and I'm not an anomaly or anything special.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
FredYoung

Default For what it's worth!

I have not posted in this thread previously, but for the record I would NOT ever bid in one of Rick's auctions after reading this thread.

I'm sure I may not be the only one who has not commented but made this decision. Perhaps it's because I've become more scrupulous as I've gotten older.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Prob

wow, this thread is getting hot...Im starting to get enjoy it.

Look guys, like someone just said..its all about " stuff you need" ..if its "stuff you need" ..all bets are off !..hell some guys will bid on stuff they dont need just to drive up the price, or keep arch enemys from having it...I know a guy who will bid on stuff wildly just for the power rush..and some guys get caught up in that..and then have to reach for that cancelation button !..have they no shame..dont they understand that there are big time nerds out there that cant live without a special item.

Im so upset..I intend to bid on EVERY lot that Probstein has currently running on ebay...just to prove a point.... I will then report back on the % of lots that were mis-represented, or fake, or questionable. Then I will prove once and for all that ....that...that... and then that will be it
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Al Richter

Default Bidding

If I see something I want or need, and the seller's feedback looks like he probably has the item and would deliver it, I determine how much I would be willing to pay and place a snipe. Thereafter I do not give it a thought until I get a notice from my snipe service that I won or lost. If I won, I pay by paypal and am done. Win or lose I do not bother to check out the bidding history on the item. If I got it for the price I was willing to pay, I am good.

I think the only thing I have bought from Probstein in the last year was a 1963 Topps Rookie Banquet program. I needed it to complete a run of those programs. I ended up getting it for a lot less than I expected
Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 PM
C.hris Bl.and

It's a hobby - I don't need any of this. I would rather miss out on a baseball card than knowingly support someone who runs their business in a manner I find unethical. Just my opinion though.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle799 View Post
Chiming in late, but thanks for that nugget of information. Very true.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I intend to bid on EVERY lot that Probstein has currently running on ebay...just to prove a point.... I will then report back on the % of lots that were mis-represented, or fake, or questionable. Then I will prove once and for all that ....that...that... and then that will be it
The police department says thank you for the evidence they needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
I have not posted in this thread previously, but for the record I would NOT ever bid in one of Rick's auctions after reading this thread.

I'm sure I may not be the only one who has not commented but made this decision. Perhaps it's because I've become more scrupulous as I've gotten older.
I wish this thread had been up in July before I dealt with this crack bag. I certainly would have been at least hesitant to deal with him, if not completely avoid him. His feedback is extremely misleading. He has a ton of negatives, but he has so many positives that it shows up as 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
It's a hobby - I don't need any of this. I would rather miss out on a baseball card than knowingly support someone who runs their business in a manner I find unethical. Just my opinion though.
My opinion is that your opinion is the correct opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
That's where the Beverly Hillbillies were from
Well I be the son of a polecat. You've been lookin the same tv that's been lookin at me. None of that fancy book Lernin' for me. I already know enough guzintas to get by so I enjoy havin that Texas tea..
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Perhaps he is just a misguided yoot.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Perhaps he is just a misguided yoot.
Mr. Gambini, did you say yoots??
Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Me neither Leon, but trust me when I say, we are the minority, period......
Kevin,

Please allow me to join the vocal minority, then.

I have not (and have never) shilled an auction. It's just plain wrong.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Daryl

I've never shilled, and never will. Have I been shilled? Probably.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I've never shilled, and never will. Have I been shilled? Probably.
I once shilled myself because of that stupid ebay hiding the ID and didn't realize it was my ID. I got me good. Pushed me up $500 to just under my max bid. That will show me to bid early and bid often.

Of course I am joking. Save your sarcastic replies please.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Come on RunScott..Im just giving my opinion ..no need to start the personal insults.....but really..I dont care...like I said many times...I love posts like this that get hotly contested/ long winded/ nasty/etc.. I find it entertaining
Fortunately you are not representative of this board, on any level.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Would any of the Probstein apologists, the manners police, the blah blah blahzy blah imbeciles care to comment on Rick's explanation of the auction of his Mathewson ball?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Would any of the Probstein apologists, the manners police, the blah blah blahzy blah imbeciles care to comment on Rick's explanation of the auction of his Mathewson ball?
I saw that he gave you his phone number pretty early in the conversation, did you call him? To me that's the logical thing to do since there was some disconnect between you two.

If you're still concerned with this maybe you should give him a quick call?

Or am I being unreasonable..
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

maybe we can get Rick on the chat line?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Sure.

While it certainly doesn't look or sound good and there probably is something wrong here....

Let's face it, you still have nothing which concretely proves something wrong was done. Period.

Add the definitive proof. Let me know when you do that. Until then this thread is just like the rest... Circumstantial and inconclusive.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Probe

RunScott..I think you enjoy the cat fighting as much as many, never willing to just " let it go"...always have to come back with a comment that borders on disrespectful /mean/ stinging...I think you enjoy it..., I know I do ! LOL

an old broken down lonely man..all he has is his card collection..he used to be a runner..but now time has taken that away from him..there he sit...with computer keyboard courage... giving his angry thoughts..cruel comments, ... ever now and again he will put on his little silky shorts,showing awful weathered legs, ugly veins and all,and he will drive down to the supermarket..pretending he is still who he never was..looking at his ironman wristwatch every two minutes..just waiting for someone to say...Wow do you run ?.... goes home..sits in a darkened room..some meaningless sport game on the TV.... thinking about his baseball cards, how much money they are worth...so sad...Oh so very sad
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I spoke to Rick last night. He informed me that he canceled the Mathewson auction -- presumably the winning bidder had no problem with this. He did not offer the winner of the auction the actual price of the ball if the purported shill bid was invalidated. He also banned the underbidder although he had no reason to believe anything untoward had occurred in the auction and did not check to see if there was any connection between the underbidder and consignor. Instead, the banning occurred because the underbidder had bids of 94% in his auction.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 AM
pete ullman

Do all kevins live in the land of de nile???

Wow hangman...way to live up to your name!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
Sure.

While it certainly doesn't look or sound good and there probably is something wrong here....

Let's face it, you still have nothing which concretely proves something wrong was done. Period.

Add the definitive proof. Let me know when you do that. Until then this thread is just like the rest... Circumstantial and inconclusive.

Kevin
As its been mentioned before, multiple times, one of the benefits of these threads is to point out suspicious activities by consignors/sellers/bidders/etc. and to educate and notify other board members of potentially damaging actions by the parties involved. What the other board members choose to do with this information is their own choice in the end I suppose.

Personally, when it comes to my money and who I choose to do business with, I am the jury, judge and executioner. End of story. I don't operate under the idea that someone is innocent until proven guilty in my personal dealings with others. I operate under the idea that if something seems suspicious to me, then I must be provided with definitive proof that something nefarious did NOT happen before I will reinstate my trust in a company/business/individual.

Last edited by markf31; 11-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Sure.

Kevin
I understand that you only do class action law and not traditional civil or criminal cases but you do understand this isn't a court of law, correct? That we're not a sitting grand jury examining evidence and sending out subpoenas, right? That all we could have at this point is circumstantial evidence and that all we are trying to establish is that "there probably is something wrong here"? No 'definitive proof' can be established short of a confession or Rick allowing me to see his bidding and consignment records, neither of which will happen. I suspected Rick owned the Mathewson ball which was obviously shilled and Rick claimed he did own it -- before it was sold privately to some unknown buyer who later rejected the ball and supposedly put it back in a Probstein auction. And yet the ball was shilled in this Probstein auction at the price Rick paid for it in REA and not the higher price the unknown buyer got it for from Rick. That's circumstantial evidence enough for me to believe that the auction stinks. Maybe you pretend lawyer types need more definitive proof; I don't.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Not living in denial.

I'm smart enough to know the difference between fact and proof and conclusions and cicumstances.

While your conclusion may be accurate... You do not have any proof to back it up with.

Get something to use to do something about it instead of starting another circumstantial thread that just gets dismissed after "he spoke to Rick"

He spoke to Rick and Rick made it all better.

Lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
As its been mentioned before, multiple times, one of the benefits of these threads is to point out suspicious activities by consignors/sellers/bidders/etc. and to educate and notify other board members of potentially damaging actions by the parties involved. What the other board members choose to do with this information is their own choice in the end I suppose.

Personally, when it comes to my money and who I choose to do business with, I am the jury, judge and executioner. End of story. I don't operate under the idea that someone is innocent until proven guilty in my personal dealings with others. I operate under the idea that if something seems suspicious to me, then I must be provided with definitive proof that something nefarious did NOT happen before I will reinstate my trust in a company/business/individual.
Mark, eloquently put. I think the moral of this and other similar threads is that you can bring the idiot to water but you can't make him drink.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
I understand that you only do class action law and not traditional civil or criminal cases but you do understand this isn't a court of law, correct? That we're not a sitting grand jury examining evidence and sending out subpoenas, right? That all we could have at this point is circumstantial evidence and that all we are trying to establish is that "there probably is something wrong here"? No 'definitive proof' can be established short of a confession or Rick allowing me to see his bidding and consignment records, neither of which will happen. I suspected Rick owned the Mathewson ball which was obviously shilled and Rick claimed he did own it -- before it was sold privately to some unknown buyer who later rejected the ball and supposedly put it back in a Probstein auction. And yet the ball was shilled in this Probstein auction at the price Rick paid for it in REA and not the higher price the unknown buyer got it for from Rick. That's circumstantial evidence enough for me to believe that the auction stinks. Maybe you pretend lawyer types need more definitive proof; I don't.

Ok good. You won your case. How many years in monopoly jail are you going to sentence him to?

Kevin
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I spoke to Rick last night. He informed me that he canceled the Mathewson auction -- presumably the winning bidder had no problem with this. He did not offer the winner of the auction the actual price of the ball if the purported shill bid was invalidated. He also banned the underbidder although he had no reason to believe anything untoward had occurred in the auction and did not check to see if there was any connection between the underbidder and consignor. Instead, the banning occurred because the underbidder had bids of 94% in his auction.
Good job Jeff and Kudos to Rick. I do not believe it would have been appropriate to sell the ball for less than the original hammer price (even with the shill bid). Technically speaking, the shill bidder may have drove away/outbid a legitimate bidder, so we could never know the "true" hammer price.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Ok good. You won your case. How many years in monopoly jail are you going to sentence him to?

Kevin
If Rick wasn't concerned at all about what is occurring on this and similar threads, why do you think he called my office last night and emailed me out of the blue about this auction? Can you possibly be as dumb as you appear?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
If Rick wasn't concerned at all about what is occurring on this and similar threads, why do you think he called my office last night and emailed me out of the blue about this auction? Can you possibly be as dumb as you appear?
I'm dumb huh?

Maybe to pacify you? Is it working for you?

If he was why wouldn't he take all of the suggestions being handed out to him?

Maybe do one or two of them with the little click of a check box and 15 seconds it could be done. Surely he has 15 seconds to spare and implement our suggestions.

I suspect you have absolutely nothing to say to that. Right?

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Well, I don't know if it is completely "out of the blue" if you go on a public forum and very openly accuse him of fraud and complain that he is not getting back to you.

Good to see he followed up.

Last edited by jhs5120; 11-22-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
RunScott..I think you enjoy the cat fighting as much as many, never willing to just " let it go"...always have to come back with a comment that borders on disrespectful /mean/ stinging...I think you enjoy it..., I know I do ! LOL

an old broken down lonely man..all he has is his card collection..he used to be a runner..but now time has taken that away from him..there he sit...with computer keyboard courage... giving his angry thoughts..cruel comments, ... ever now and again he will put on his little silky shorts,showing awful weathered legs, ugly veins and all,and he will drive down to the supermarket..pretending he is still who he never was..looking at his ironman wristwatch every two minutes..just waiting for someone to say...Wow do you run ?.... goes home..sits in a darkened room..some meaningless sport game on the TV.... thinking about his baseball cards, how much money they are worth...so sad...Oh so very sad
Perhaps, but none of that makes you any less of an idiot.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Well, I don't know if it is completely "out of the blue" if you go on a public forum and very openly accuse him of fraud and complain that he is not getting back to you.

Good to see he followed up.
Right. He put a bandaid on it for Jeff. Stuck that pacifier right in his mouth. Handled the one issue with eyes on it and said what was needed.

And I'm the dumb one. Lol.

You will keep getting the pacifier until you have something concrete...guy.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Kevin, what exactly have you done to help clean up the hobby?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

I can't discuss it right now. I have two initiatives.

Once I am done I will post about it.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
I can't discuss it right now.
Pacifier getting in the way?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

No...discussing it may jeopardize what I'm doing.

I figured that was obvious.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:

Kevin
Be vewy quiet...

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
David Pierson
Banned

"Bond, James Bond."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (4.9 KB, 354 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

These threads turn into a huge waste of time.

There was a thread on how to block viewing of all posts by a particular person.

Can someone please provide the link?

Kevin
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Right. He put a bandaid on it for Jeff. Stuck that pacifier right in his mouth. Handled the one issue with eyes on it and said what was needed.

And I'm the dumb one. Lol.

You will keep getting the pacifier until you have something concrete...guy.

Kevin
Of course you're the dumb one -- is it not clear to you that I don't believe a single word that Rick says? LOL. Christ, you're even dumber than I thought. And considering that I have a track record in this hobby of dealing with fraudsters somehow you can assume that I'm not leaving the situation alone.

Good luck with your "initiatives." LOL. Good God.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

Kevin
maybe one of your initiatives can be how to figure it out.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default It Takes Two to Tango

but Tag Team Tussles are terrific!

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
The third one is to actually block everything you type.

Don't sweat it. I will get it. Later chump.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
The third one is to actually block everything you type.

Don't sweat it. I will get it. Later chump.

Kevin
don't waste too much time on it. I'd hate to see your initiatives get slowed down. PS let me know when you can afford the simple auction site software. Putz.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:

Kevin
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
lmao :d
Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Yea I'm a cop, I'm a damn good cop!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 210-statue.jpg (8.7 KB, 421 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
but Tag Team Tussles are terrific!
Nice alliteration!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
What he said he did and what he actually did may be complete opposites. With the private ebay IDs now, it's virtuously impossible to know what was actually done. For ebay to not want any wrongdoing on their site, they sure do make it easy to be done.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Not living in denial.

I'm smart enough to know the difference between fact and proof and conclusions and cicumstances.

While your conclusion may be accurate... You do not have any proof to back it up with.

Get something to use to do something about it instead of starting another circumstantial thread that just gets dismissed after "he spoke to Rick"

He spoke to Rick and Rick made it all better.

Lol.

If it smells like crap, I certainly am not going to eat it to find out if it tastes like crap. That circumstantial evidence of the crap may not be good enough for US courts, but it is good enough for my taste buds to avoid it. My (enter any potential buyer's name) court is the only one that matters when a purchase might be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
when it comes to my money and who I choose to do business with, I am the jury, judge and executioner. End of story.

Very good point. People seem to forget that this is the court of your own wallet, we are not in a court of the United States, so when there is any doubt of a seller, the monetary risk makes it magnified.

Quote:

Kevin
I would like to know how to use it so I can block your posts.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

21 posts. Awesome.

You should look it up then or try to figure it out.

It's pretty easy to figure out if you just look.

Kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 11-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.