NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-17-2016, 03:40 PM

Default Kenny Washington - Broke NFL Color Barrier– The Jackie Robinson of the NFL

I am astonished that I had not even heard of this man until coming across a group of photos recently that I purchased. He has articles all over the internet about what a superstar he was and how he re-integrated the NFL in 1946, a year before Jackie Robinson integrated major league baseball. If you are a fan of Jackie, you should take the time to read about Kenny Washington. He was a multi-sport athlete at UCLA and, by some accounts, was the better athlete (and a better baseball player) than his UCLA teammate Jackie. He also played basketball and was in the backfield on the football team along with Jackie. In August of 1940, after his eligibility was up, he was invited to play in the College All-Star game in Chicago against the NFL’s championship Packer’s team. He was the only black player in the game. Many believed him to be the best collegiate player on the field and one of the elite players in the country. He would have been a first round draft pick in the NFL draft that year…. except for the color of his skin. The Chicago Bear’s coach, George Halas, even kept Washington around for two weeks after the All Star game to work him out and see if the NFL owners would be open to his signing. They did not, so he went and played for the Hollywood Bears team in California until a few years later when he finally got the opportunity to be the man to break the barrier in the NFL. In 1946 he signed with the LA Rams. Unfortunately, this was after his prime and also after five knee operations. He played three fairly successful years for the Rams before time caught up to him and he hung up his cleats to become a Los Angeles police officer. In 1956 Kenny was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
These photos all appear to be from the time frame of August and September 1940 while Kenny was in Chicago for the All-Star game. He was a busy man during this time. After the All-Star game was played on August 29th, Kenny signed to play football with the all-negro Chicago Panthers team, operated by W.A. Donaldson and Kenneth E. Campbell. Donaldson then invited Washington’s fiancé to travel up to Chicago from her home in California and hosted a wedding for them at his house. Only a few guests were invited but they did include the former negro football great “Duke” Slater, who was recently asked to be the new coach of the Chicago Panthers, as well as two teammates on the Panthers, Ozzie and Don Simmons, former stars at the University of Iowa. Shortly after playing his first game with the Panthers, and having just been rejected to play with the Chicago Bears, Kenny and his wife headed back to California.
The photos below (most are by Chicago photographer Charles Stewart, Jr.) include Kenny in his College All-Star uniform. One of them is autographed by Kenny – “To Mr. and Mrs. Donaldson / With Sincere Regards / Kenny Washington / 9/13/40”. Obviously Kenny wrote this to the Donaldson’s in appreciation for hosting the wedding and for his opportunity to play with the Panthers.
During this two-month period, Chicago was hosting the Negro East/West Baseball All-Star game and also the American Negro Exposition. Some of these photos are taken at these locations. A few of these photos I was the runner-up on and did not end up with them (noted below). I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out who some of the people are, but have come up short, or may be wrong on a few. Any identification or other help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Kenny in his All-Star uniform:

KW Photo Group (1).jpg

Shaking hands with Panther’s owner W.A. Donaldson:

KW Photo Group (3).jpg

Wedding photo with W.A. Donaldson at the left and co-owner Kenneth E. Campbell on the right. The gentleman, third from left, is in several photos but I have not been able to identify him (possibly Best Man James W. Quisenberry):

KW Photo Group (6).jpg

Some of the Panthers getting some kind of appreciation gift. The tall man in glasses is Chicago mayor Edward Joseph Kelly. To his left is Donaldson and three persons to his left is Campbell. The writing on the package is obscured but includes “Best Wishes From / Chicago …. Benefit / Mayor … “:

KW Photo Group (10).jpg

One of the Panthers signing his contract with Campbell and unknown at his sides and teammates behind him:

KW Photo Group (12).jpg

An interesting photo of the team having a dinner in an under-sized room:

KW Photo Group (8).jpg

A photo of some of the star players including, I believe, Don Simmons seated at right, Ozzie Simmons seated second from left, and Bobby Vandever seated at far left. All would have played in the NFL if they would have been allowed:

KW Photo Group (14).jpg

Some teammates:

KW Photo Group (16).jpg

At an event with unknown:

KW Photo Group (18).jpg

Washington and some teammates at the Joe Louis counter of the Negro Exposition (not mine):

Screenink_201610171608.jpg

Washington getting an autograph from a KC Monarch’s player (not my image):

Not Mine (1).jpg

The original group of photos included this image - some African-Americans at an event in October of 1939 - I bet most of you know the tall gentleman in the back (not my image):

Not Mine (3).jpg
Not Mine (4).jpg

1940 College All-Star uniform (not mine):

Chicago All-Star uniform 2.jpg

1940 College All-Star program (not mine):

Chicago All-Star game uniform.jpg

Article about the All-Star game against the Packers:

Chicago All-Star game article.jpg

Kenny in action at the All-Star game:

Kenny in Action.jpg

The three African-American teammates from the 1939 UCLA team – Robinson, Washington and Woody Strode. Strode went on to also play a year of NFL football before becoming an actor (a gladiator in Spartacus that you would remember if you’re old enough and have seen this Kirk Douglas movie):

UCLA Backfield with Robinson.jpg

Last edited by ramram; 10-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM

Default Here is his Leaf RC

He also has a Bowman card.

Perhaps you would be interested in a project that I've worked on, Washington is included. I will be revising it with a few additions when I make the time to do so.

From Negro League To Major League

In 2012 after the Metropolitan Museum of Art presented their "Breaking the Color Barrier in Major League Baseball" exhibit, I decided to put together a mirror collection of the cards displayed in the exhibit.
The cards that they selected were from the Jefferson R. Burdick collection that is housed in the museum.
They are of "some of the earliest and most illustrious players who moved from the Negro leagues into the Majors".

ENJOY!
Links to the original Museum Exhibit
The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Breaking the Color Barrier in Major League Baseball

http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/objects?exhibitionId={3B06EA75-3ED7-4017-8783-B4D8643CCC8C}&pg=1&rpp=30

My Collection:

A Few Additions:
Roy Campanella, From Negro League to Majors; Kenny Washington, Signs NFL contract, LA Rams 3/21/46, ending the color Ban.

Earl Lloyd, 10/31/50, First to play in NBA game; Nat Clifton, 11/4/50 played for the NY Knicks, four days after Lloyd.

Jack Johnson, First African American World Heavy Weight Champ; Isaac Murphy, First 3X Kentucky Derby winner, First National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame Inductee. Considered the greatest Jockey of all times.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:09 PM

That's a very cool collection. Since picking up these photos I've picked up Washington's Leaf and Bowman rookie cards. I was thinking of going after all of the integration football players similar to what you've done with baseball.

Rob M
Old 10-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I thought the year Washington came in to the NFL that there were a few teams that all had black players so the all intergrated the NFL together .
Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I thought the year Washington came in to the NFL that there were a few teams that all had black players so the all intergrated the NFL together .
You are correct. Besides Washington, it was Strode, Motley and Willis. Washington was the first to actually sign, however, and they made a big deal about him being the first and he has been forever associated with breaking the barrier. Strode was second and also was signed by the LA Rams as he was best buddies and an ex-teammate of Washington's at UCLA so they brought him in to be Washington's roommate. He rarely got to play in that single year he played in the NFL. Motley and Willis were signed a little later that year by the Cleveland Browns of the AAFC league. Later some of these teams from the AAFC were brought into the NFL, including the Browns.

Rob M
Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Chris Counts

Does anybody have a scan of Washington's Hage's Ice Cream card? He had a brief stint in the PCL with the Angels ...
Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Steve Liskey

Default RetroCards 1955T-AA Kenny Washington

Here's my All American tribute to Kenny Washington...

Old 10-28-2016, 11:07 AM
pariah1107

Having done research and written a book on Jimmy Claxton, the term "the first" is oversold. Very rarely is the popularly acknowledged "first", actually the case. Claxton was not "the first" either, just one of many unacknowledged pioneers in the sport.

Not to diminish Kenny Washington's achievements, without question a phenomenal athlete, but there were many other black professional football players in the 1920-30's including Fritz Pollard (1920), Bobby Marshal (1920), Duke Slater (1927, 1929), Joe Lillard (1932, 1933), and Ray Kemp (1933) just to name a few.

Here's Claxton with the semi-pro Edmonds nine, 1925 Snohomish County Independent Champions (photo courtesy of Mukilteo Historical Society):

Last edited by pariah1107; 10-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Does anybody have a scan of Washington's Hage's Ice Cream card? He had a brief stint in the PCL with the Angels ...
Hey Chris, I didn't even realize he had any kind of baseball card. After you mentioned it, I found this pic of his Hage's Ice Cream card online.

Rob M

FullSizeRender.jpg