NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Racist? Not Racist? Whatever!
Military? Non-military? Whatever!

Do you believe that anybody has the right to protest while at work? While on the job? While being paid?
If you fire all the players, who is going to play the games? I don't think it's realistic to look at NFL players the same way you would an average employee. For example, is it reasonable for a normal employee to assume that failing a drug test would mean termination? I would say so. But that is not a foregone conclusion in the NFL.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:31 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If you fire all the players, who is going to play the games? I don't think it's realistic to look at NFL players the same way you would an average employee. For example, is it reasonable for a normal employee to assume that failing a drug test would mean termination? I would say so. But that is not a foregone conclusion in the NFL.
Employers have the right to make their own policies. If I failed a drug test at work, yes, I would be fired. Then again, if I beat my wife, it's none of their (my employer's) business where the NFL takes disciplinary action.

But, that didn't answer the question. Do you believe employees have the right to protest while at work on company time?

As far as firing all the players, I didn't say that and I don't want that. I fat deduction to their paycheck by order of a fine would be nice to see though.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:34 AM

The second the NFL starts fining players is the same second they all sit out. It would ruin the NFL.

I think employees should enjoy the same rights at work as they do outside of it. I don't feel as though I should have to surrender any freedoms because I need to feed myself. There are always going to be lines you can't cross in a professional setting, but I don't think that line is sitting down.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I think employees should enjoy the same rights at work as they do outside of it.
LOL, seriously? It's 10:45 here in Houston. I get off work at noon on Fridays. It's my right to go have a beer after work if I choose. You really think I should be afforded that same right while at work?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The second the NFL starts fining players is the same second they all sit out. It would ruin the NFL.

I think employees should enjoy the same rights at work as they do outside of it. I don't feel as though I should have to surrender any freedoms because I need to feed myself. There are always going to be lines you can't cross in a professional setting, but I don't think that line is sitting down.
Bolded the part that addresses that.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
There are always going to be lines you can't cross in a professional setting, but I don't think that line is sitting down.
Then, let's go back to my example with Todd. He's an attorney. When the bailiff comes in the courtroom and says, "All rise," do you think it's Todd's right to stay seated in protest?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM

I don't really see the connection to the discussion. The court has its own procedures in place and as far as I know there is no direct law that requires you to rise, although the judge has authority to hold you in contempt for not following their directives. None of that really has anything to do with the NFL, the protests, the spirit behind the protests, anti-military sentiment, or enjoying personal freedoms at work. A judge would hold you in contempt for disrupting court proceedings, not for exercising a freedom.

Teachers and union employees go on strike all the time. They aren't fired for it because it's their right to strike. A strike is a form of protest.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I don't really see the connection to the discussion. The court has its own procedures in place and as far as I know there is no direct law that requires you to rise, although the judge has authority to hold you in contempt for not following their directives. None of that really has anything to do with the NFL, the protests, the spirit behind the protests, anti-military sentiment, or enjoying personal freedoms at work. A judge would hold you in contempt for disrupting court proceedings, not for exercising a freedom.

Teachers and union employees go on strike all the time. They aren't fired for it because it's their right to strike. A strike is a form of protest.
You don't see the connection because you don't want to see the connection. There is no connection to employees who strike either. But, since you mentioned it, do striking employees get paid (and I mean by their employer)? Nope. So, my argument about their right to protest at work still holds true. They shouldn't do it while on the clock.

We need to make a few more examples like Kaepernick because obviously some NFL players are too stupid to get it.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

it's just communism like these worthless protests are. entitled little children throwing tantrums. unions, protests, marching...etc Marxist, smug, rubbish.