NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default JSA buys equity stake in SGC

I was just reading the SGC board and must have fallen asleep lately. It looks like Michael Goldberg is leaving SGC very soon and Sean Skeffington (VP) is already gone. I guess JSA bought an equity stake in the company. From what I read the graders are staying. This should be interesting.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Matt Wieder

On the plus side, I will now be able to get some of my signed cards moved to SGC.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default where to find this info?

Leon,
Where did you find that news among the SGC board?

What do y'all think the prognosis looks like for SGC (opinions and hypothetical reasoning welcomed)

I know change is inevitable, but the loss of these guys and the departure of valued asset B Dwyer may be a tough pill to swallow.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:18 PM

The industry is a 'changin. Look for 2011 to be especially interesting.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Rich Klein

Default And 2010 wasn't interesting??

At least in the new card market it was fascinating ---- Upper Deck being blown out of the water in their BB and FB license; and their money problems including having an MLBPA license but not producing one full set using that. There was an issue about not paying players for autographs earlier this year, guess that never got settled.

Panini and Topps basically becoming the only 2 card companies that matter.

Most of that was settled by April. but 2010 was the most important year for card company "moving" since 2005 when Fleer went bankrupt and Donruss/Leaf/Playoff lost their baseball license.

James probably has some better insight because of what he does for H&S but some of my questions would include:

1) Is the Federal investigation ever going to end -- and if so, with what if any indictments. Feds tend to move slowly but surely, so we may not even see this concluded in 2011

2) Auction Houses -- I think we already saw the 1st move towards some consolidation -- I could have sworn I saw that long time dealer Andy Madec has "merged" his business with Mile High -- I'll bet we have more to come in 2011.

Regards
Rich
Old 12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think losing Michael and Sean, if that is true, is a real loss. My personal view is that any combination with JSA dilutes SGC's credibility.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 PM

SGC or JSA, or whoever runs it now, at least put a hobby veteran in place as it's man to be the "face" of the company. Joe Delgrippo has been involved in the hobby in many different roles in the last 2 decades. I have personally known him since the late 1990's and know him to be a quality guy. Will SGC change? maybe, will the product change? probably not.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

James probably has some better insight because of what he does for H&S but some of my questions would include:

1) Is the Federal investigation ever going to end -- and if so, with what if any indictments. Feds tend to move slowly but surely, so we may not even see this concluded in 2011

2) Auction Houses -- I think we already saw the 1st move towards some consolidation -- I could have sworn I saw that long time dealer Andy Madec has "merged" his business with Mile High -- I'll bet we have more to come in 2011.

Regards
Rich
Hi Rich,

I'm part of the day to day and I honestly never hear about the FBI. Mostly, because we don't have anything to worry about Auction houses have to get more innovative in order to sustain themselves. H&S is the only auction house I know of that has modern experts on board. That's a relatively untapped market that did VERY well for us in 2010.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 12-25-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think losing Michael and Sean, if that is true, is a real loss. My personal view is that any combination with JSA dilutes SGC's credibility.
That may be somewhat true, as the autograph authentication world in general is fraught with problems. Not only can the collecting fraternity many times not tell a good autograph from a bad one, neither can the authenticators on many occasions. The autograph business in general has a much higher level of bad news than the card collectible area. SGC had clearly defined itself as THE grading company in the arena of graders, based on consistent grading, a quality holder, fewist mistakes and premier customer service.

On a final note, Derek Grady and Scott Hileman are still there(at least as far as I know) and will be the glue to hold together SGC as we knew it.

Last edited by sb1; 12-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Matt E.
Banned

I may be a little behind here but doesn't JSA currently work with Beckett Grading Services also?

Will James Spence Authentication (JSA) will own the majority of the equity investment in SGC?

Just wondering.

I have 100% of my cards in SGC holders.

Matt

Last edited by Matt E.; 12-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Interesting.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think losing Michael and Sean, if that is true, is a real loss.
+1
Old 12-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Fred

Would it be possible that submissions are WAY DOWN and that there are less people doing the "new and shiney" thing which means that there's going to be even less business (not that SGC was picking up a lot of the "new and shiney" business anyway). Perhaps getting out of SGC may be a good business plan right now. My guess is that the unsustainable submission levels of the past have subsided and the price of grading will have to increase just for the companies to break even or turn a small profit.

This hobby has been over ridden by "collectors" that have speculated and lost their butts on card board. Maybe now they can try to corner the market on Puffles, have them graded and make those little toys completely unavailable to the little kids that really LIKE those things. Without submissions the grading business doesn't look so promising. Hey, maybe they can start grading Puffles.

My opinion - one reason that people supported SGC was the people that ran the company were trusted and held in high regard. I'm not saying that JSA can't be trusted but if you're used to something and then there's a sudden "change", it's not always positive. Look at Coca Cola and "New" Coke.

I guess my ungraded cards aren't going any where, any time soon.

One last thought - If JSA takes over ownership of SGC and uses it as a vehicle to peddle their autograph services does that mean that JSA will not be in the business of selling autographs?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Bilko Glasier

Im curious to know if JSA is still gonna do auto authentication for BGS?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Barry Sloate

I was thinking the same thing as Fred: maybe all the grading services are suffering from fewer cards being submitted than in the past, and without some new revenue stream they will be hurting. So they may all need to find new ways to structure their businesses, and increase submissions. Perhaps the autograph authenticating market still has a lot of growth potential, more so than baseball cards.

I also predict a lot of consolidation in 2011. There are too many auction houses, and too many auctions. Perhaps by merging forces the industry will be stronger.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-26-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
qualitycards

Barry, will "Barry Sloate Auctions" be resurrected in the coming year?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
One last thought - If JSA takes over ownership of SGC and uses it as a vehicle to peddle their autograph services does that mean that JSA will not be in the business of selling autographs?
Dave Forman never stopped selling graded cards and even submitted and sold material amounts of SGC graded cards, despite making public statements that he would no longer sell cards. Not sure anyone will REALLY care what JSA does in this regard. The hobby seems very selective in taking issue with conflicts of interest which have existed, which is really too bad.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Barry Sloate

Don't think so Jay, but thanks for asking. I've fallen out of the loop.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM

JSA used to authenticate autographed cards for BGS.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM

JSA is longtime and well respected authentication company-- well versed in dealing with collectors and dealers. Other than they are not "baseball card guys," I don't see a problem with them having stake. That he worked for PSA might give him some knowledge on that front. Also, my personal experience is that Spence is a good guy and helpful to normal folks. He's answered my emailed autograph questions in the past.

Last edited by drc; 12-26-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Would it be possible that submissions are WAY DOWN and that there are less people doing the "new and shiney" thing which means that there's going to be even less business (not that SGC was picking up a lot of the "new and shiney" business anyway). Perhaps getting out of SGC may be a good business plan right now. My guess is that the unsustainable submission levels of the past have subsided and the price of grading will have to increase just for the companies to break even or turn a small profit.

This hobby has been over ridden by "collectors" that have speculated and lost their butts on card board. Maybe now they can try to corner the market on Puffles, have them graded and make those little toys completely unavailable to the little kids that really LIKE those things. Without submissions the grading business doesn't look so promising. Hey, maybe they can start grading Puffles.

My opinion - one reason that people supported SGC was the people that ran the company were trusted and held in high regard. I'm not saying that JSA can't be trusted but if you're used to something and then there's a sudden "change", it's not always positive. Look at Coca Cola and "New" Coke.

I guess my ungraded cards aren't going any where, any time soon.

Granted the "new and shiney" market isn't doing particularly well. However, I fail to see how that has anything to do with SGC. Modern collectors almost always go with either BGS or PSA.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Bob Beck

When I recently dropped by SGC for a card submission I asked how business was and was told it was quiet ( a sign of the economy) , except for the occasional burst of auction house submissions. I think JSA made a smart investment in a solid pre war brand name in the grading market. JSA runs a tight ship (I have no idea what their percentage of ownership is) and as long as the key graders stayed on why should the SGC name be tarnished. SGC has had other major executive changes over the years. I think a more important question is the Mastro/Forman proceedings and what effect that will have on SGC.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Carl Lamendola

What goes around comes around. I had these Admiral Rams cards graded and authenticated years ago. So Spence and SGC are no strange bed fellows - maybe they were a little ahead of their time, previously. SGC seems to respond to these rumors fairly quickly. Remember, if you have knowledge and a good reputation (if the rumors are true) guys like Sean and/or Mike, should have no issue re-surfacing (if they want to) at an auction company, grading company, card manufacturer, as a dealer, etc. Look at Derek he's on his second tour of duty at SGC. I am not concerned at all. us36441.jpg
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
James Gallo

I assume this is where this information comes from.

http://www.sgccard.com/boards/ubbthr...page=1&fpart=1

I am not very happy about this, as I had very good relationships with all three men and to see them all go in such a short period of time doesn't sit well with me.

That being said as long as things stay as they are I don't see any reason I will change and I guess I will have to just develop new relationships....

James H
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default business in our economy

First of all, everyone that has left over at SGC I consider to be good hobby friends. I have taken a vow of confidentiality but my understanding is it is basically business as usual. The same graders are still in place and that is mostly (all) what you pay for when you get your cards graded. As many of us on this board have a lot of business experience it is not unknown to see things like this happen when a merger or acquisition takes place. Add in the dismal economy we are in and these changes aren't a surprise. I do hate to see my friends leave the company but hopefully they will resurface in the hobby, if they want to, and land on their feet. Good folks usually do, and all of the guys that have recently left are good folks. I think it will be business as usual over at SGC. No one likes change but it is inevitable in today's business climate. best regards
Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Default Professsional and Courteous Service- I hope it continues.

Earlier today, I called SGC to check on a submission that I recently sent in. (There was no problems from SGC, just a little confusion on the Postal Service's behalf and I was just making sure SGC got my E98s! ) I talked with Michael on the phone and during the discussion, I believe that he said today was his last day there. I've never met him personally, but he was courteous, professional and very helpful. Even on his last day, he was was a great asset to SGC. Whatever endevours he is pursuing, his future is bright because of his professional and customer frienldy service and I wish him the best. I hope whoever is new to SGC is as courteous and professional as those who are leaving. I will continue giving them my business as long as those there continue to follow Michael's and others like his lead.
Tim Kindler
Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Ditto that

I too sent a submission in, which they received today and fully expect everything to go off as normal. I talked at length to Michael yesterday and he was as upbeat as ever. He has a myriad of options in front of him.

Joe Delgrippo will be in the saddle Monday. I would not want everyone to overwhelm him on the first day, but I believe if you call and talk to him you will find him quite personable as well. Although he may not be of fully up to speed ala, Brian and Michael, I am sure you will find that your business and happiness is the #1 priority on his list.

Last edited by sb1; 12-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm assuming (hoping) there will be a roll-out of information on autograph grading and slabbing once the transition is complete? SGC/JSA if you are listening, there are submissions ready to go once you offer the service!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Phil Garry

I had the privelege of seeing Michael in person today, on his last day at SGC. As always, professionalism remains his forte and he promised to be accessible to those of us that have dealt with him many times over the past few years. I wish Michael the best of luck in his future endeavors. Just so everyone knows, all the senior graders remain intact as I got a chance to talk to Derek Grady and Bob Luce while I was up there.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Barry Sloate

I haven't spoken to Michael in awhile but he was always a pleasure to work with and I am sorry to see him go. If you're reading this Michael, thanks for all your help and good luck in the future.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Rob Miller

I have dealt with Michael on countless occasions and I can say that he is a true professional, and I call him a friend. If the new blood coming in have any of Michael's customer service skills and hobby knowledge then SGC will be in great hands.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Brian Dwyer

I was at SGC myself yesterday (ran into another Net54 member there) and had the chance to spend some time with Joe Delgrippo. He's excited to be working there and excited to learn the ropes and interact with all the great customers. It will take some getting used to (just like any new job does) but I'm sure that Joe will transition into the position nicely.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Thanks Brian for the info. I was waiting for you to post!!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Brian Dwyer

For anyone interested, this press release was just sent via SGC broadcast email.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

James Spence Authentication (JSA) Makes Equity Investment In Sportscard Guaranty Corp. (SGC)

SPORTSCARD GUARANTY CORP. (SGC, LLC) is pleased to announce that JAMES SPENCE AUTHENTICATION (JSA) has made an equity investment in SGC. The two entities believe this strategic investment will enhance the ability of both companies to better service the needs of autograph and card collectors.

JSA simultaneously announced that its investment in SGC will have no impact on its relationship with Beckett Grading Services, which shall continue as heretofore.

SGC is known among sports card hobbyists for its accuracy and consistency. Founded in 1998 and headquartered in Parsippany, N.J., the company provides independent, third-party appraisal of trading card condition - the single most important factor in determining a card's value.

JSA, also of Parsippany, N.J., is a nationally recognized third party autograph authentication service specializing in sports, political entertainment and other notable signatures. Clients include auction houses, dealers and collectors worldwide.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Fred

"JSA simultaneously announced that its investment in SGC will have no impact on its relationship with Beckett Grading Services, which shall continue as heretofore."

Of course it won't....
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 AM
FredYoung

"JSA simultaneously announced that its investment in SGC will have no impact on its relationship with Beckett Grading Services, which shall continue as heretofore."

Of course it won't....

From one Fred to another, I don't see a problem----What do you see?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM

SGC's website just stated that autographed cards will be able to be slabbed. And this doesn't change JSA's relationship with BGS?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Eventually, the affect of this acquisition will come to light. The autograph angle is interesting if JSA is working with 2 prior competitors. This may lead to some form of merger of competitors, even if not announced officially(at least for awhile). With the economy the way it is, may happen.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
SGC's website just stated that autographed cards will be able to be slabbed. And this doesn't change JSA's relationship with BGS?
It just sounds like JSA will now have multiple clients, but that it will continue its relationship with Beckett. So the statement appears accurate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Fred

Fred Y,

I don't think it will "harm" the relationship between Spence and Beckett. It just means Beckett will be seeing less income from autograph submissions.

Unless Spence owns a piece of Beckett do you really think that Spence is going to arbitrarily use Becket to slab the autographs he authenticates? It's in his better interest (his wallet's interest) to use the company that he just dropped a chunk of change on. Does this impact the relationship between Beckett and Spence? Of course not...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think slabbing autos was something that SGC needed to do. PSA and Beckett had too great of a competitive advantage in these areas. Now SGC just needs to be able to slab oversized premiums (e.g., Butterfinger), photos, and memorabilia autos (e.g., balls, bats).
Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Default Michael & Sean

Not to worry, Michael and Sean will still be going strong in the industry. It will just be another name other than SGC.

Their expertise and trust in the industry is just what a start up grading company needs to be competitive and to grow.

Keep an eye out, they'll be popping up in due time.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Where? All I found was that they won't grade autographed cards

http://www.sgccard.com/exlusions.htm

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmokramer View Post
Not to worry, Michael and Sean will still be going strong in the industry. It will just be another name other than SGC.

Their expertise and trust in the industry is just what a start up grading company needs to be competitive and to grow.

Keep an eye out, they'll be popping up in due time.
Verisleeve?

Last edited by 4815162342; 01-01-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
You'd have to ask them... I know they love the industry and are committed to continue to serve it.