NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The T206 "Exclusive 12" of the 460-Only series

These Exclusive 12 cards in the 460-Only series are found with the El Principe de Gales (EPDG) back. Not all the other 36 subjects that were printed with only 460 series backs
appear to have been printed with the EPDG back. Approximately 14 subjects in this series have yet to be confirmed with the EPDG back (and, may be No-Prints).

Furthermore, relative to the Exclusive 12 with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460, red HINDU & SOVEREIGN 460 backs, the EPDG versions of these 12 are not often seen. They indeed are
tough to find.

TED Z
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

LOOKING for these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set (75 cards)

AMES....CAMNITZ....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (port)....JORDAN (bat)....McGRAW (port-cap)
McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off)....WILTSE (port-cap)
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

I happen to have two of the twelve in EPDG; percentage wise (I have 85/384 EPDG), I should have three. Interesting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epdg-177.jpg (77.1 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg epdg-183.jpg (77.1 KB, 534 views)

Last edited by t206hound; 06-19-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The T206

Erick

Wishing you luck in finding the 10 other EPDG's for a run of the Exclusive 12. I have found them to be quite tough.

And, your collection of 85 cards with the EPDG appears to suggest that they are....since you have only 2 of them.

Thanks for posting your Ford and Gandil.

TED Z
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Ted Zanidakis

One more interesting configuration involves the Exclusive 12 with the SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #42 backs. Similar to the red HINDU situation (see Post #1),
these 12 subjects are the only cards in the 460-Only series (48 subjects) that were printed with the SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #42 back (no overprint).

Perhaps, the red HINDU and the SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #42 backs were concurrently printed on sheets of the Exclusive 12 cards. If so, then the printer
did not have the extra task of changing the ink color (RED) on his printing press to print these backs. It's possible, and this could provide us a timeline of when
the red HINDU cards were printed.

TED Z

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
LOOKING for these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set (75 cards)

AMES (hands over head)....CAMNITZ (hands over head)....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (portrait)
McGRAW (portrait-cap)....McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off)....WILTSE (portrait-cap)
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Six of the Exclusive 12 subjects are "newcomers". The other 6 are veteran Major Leaguer's. This focuses on the 5 rookies; and, "Big Jeff" Pfeffer [drafted
by the Cubs from Toronto (Eastern League)].

1910 newcomers

ROOKIES

Josh Devore....his first full season for the Giants in 1910, he batted .304; and, was a very effective lead-off player.

Russ Ford.......a sensational rookie season in 1910, with a 26-6 W-L record and an ERA = 1.65 for NY (AL). The key to his success was his "emery pitch".

Chick Gandil....was acquired from Sacramento (PCL) and started with Chicago (AL) in 1910.

Rube Geyer.....started pitching for St Louis Cardinals in 1910.

Zach Wheat....led the NL in games played (156) in 1910 (his 1st full season). Zach is the Dodgers all-time leader in Hits, Doubles, and Triples.

and,
Francis Pfeffer......In 1910, "Big Jeff" returned to the Majors with the Cubs after having pitched for Boston (NL), 1906-1908. Pitched a No-Hitter (1907).

Veterans

Doc Crandall....was the premier Relief pitcher of the dead-ball era. You could say that he was the "Mariano Rivera" of that era.

Hugh Duffy......a great all-around player. In 1894, he batted .440 with 237 Hits, 18 HR's and 145 RBI's. Started the 1910 season managing the White Sox.

John Hummel....11-year career with Brooklyn as a utility ballplayer, who played every position in the field. 1910 was his best in Triples, RBI's & Stolen Bases.

Jim Sheckard....an effective lead-off batter with the Cubs. Circa 1910, Jimmy formed 3/4 of a popular barbershop quartet with Solly Hofman and Lew Richie.

Lee Tannehill....a great defensive player with the White Sox. Lee has the record of executing 2 unassisted Triple Plays in the same game.

John McGraw....the inimitable "Mugsy". A lot can be said about McGraw; but, I'll leave you with this....hey you RED SOX fans forget the so-called "Ruth hex".
It's the "McGraw hex" that haunted you for exactly 100 years. In 1904, the Giants & Boston won the NL & AL Pennants. But, McGraw refused to play Boston.
He declared his Giants the World Champions......1904 was the year they did not play the World Series. That's how it really was. You can check it out.

TED Z
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

AMES (hands over head)....CAMNITZ (hands over head)....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (portrait)
McGRAW (portrait-cap)....McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off)....WILTSE (portrait-cap)

Last edited by tedzan; 06-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Regarding the Exclusive 12 with UZIT backs....to date, only 3 of the these 12 subjects have been confirmed with the UZIT back. Recently a rumor of a 4th has been reported.
The 3 confirmed subjects are Crandall....Geyer....Sheckard. There is a report of a Russ Ford with a UZIT back (but, not yet confirmed).

Eventually, I expect all of the remainig 9 of the Exclusive 12 will be confirmed with the UZIT back. The extreme scarcity of the Exclusive 12 with the UZIT back suggests that
there may have been only one press run of these T206's with the UZIT advertisement.

In March 1911, American Lithographic (ALC) switched to printing their new Gold-Bordered series of Military Men (T80). This very colorful series of Non-Sports cards
are mostly found with TOLSTOI backs. The T80's with LENOX or UZIT backs are not rare. The T80's with OLD MILL or CAIRO MONOPOL backs are extremely rare.

My theory is that ALC Short-Printed the T206 Exclusive 12 cards with UZIT backs due to their focus on the new Gold-Bordered cards. Or perhaps, ALC just ran out of
pre-printed sheets of the Exclusive 12 cards. This is certainly possible, for as we have seen, ALC Multi-Printed the Exclusive 12 with AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 backs,
SOVEREIGN 460 backs....and, to a limited degree, the red HINDU backs.

In any event, since Crandall, Geyer, and Sheckard exist with UZIT....I feel confident we will eventually discover more of the Exclusive 12 with UZIT backs (since this
group of twelve T206's were printed on the same sheet).

TED Z

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Luke Lyon

I was having a chat with a friend about these 12 players and their availability with different backs.

I got a Cycle 460 Sheckard today and it occurred to me that I haven't seen many Cycles for players in this group. Don't think I've ever seen a Wheat or McGraw for instance.

I figured I'd bump this great thread. It seems to me that Tolstoi is also a pretty common back for these players, and EPDG, Cycle, and OM (maybe in that order) are tougher.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I figured I'd bump this great thread. It seems to me that Tolstoi is also a pretty common back for these players, and EPDG, Cycle, and OM (maybe in that order) are tougher.
I would put Polar Bears in this group (EPDG, Cycle & OM) as well, except they are probably the easiest of the four after Tolstois.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I was having a chat with a friend about these 12 players and their availability with different backs.

I got a Cycle 460 Sheckard today and it occurred to me that I haven't seen many Cycles for players in this group. Don't think I've ever seen a Wheat or McGraw for instance.

Hi Luke

Indeed, these Exclusive 12 cards are difficult with CYCLE 460 backs, and EPDG backs.

My experience collecting back runs of these 12 subjects is that OLD MILL is very tough, and UZIT is virtually impossible.

After I completed my RED HINDU run of these 12 guys, I started the OLD MILL run approx. a year ago and so far I have only these 4 guys......

TED Z
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Completing a run of 12 red Hindus is very nice, Ted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Luke

Indeed, these Exclusive 12 cards are difficult with CYCLE 460 backs, and EPDG backs.

My experience collecting back runs of these 12 subjects is that OLD MILL is very tough, and UZIT is virtually impossible.

After I completed my RED HINDU run of these 12 guys, I started the OLD MILL run approx. a year ago and so far I have only these 4 guys......

TED Z
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Completing a run of 12 red Hindus is very nice, Ted.

Thanks Leon.

Have a great time at the National.

TED Z
Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sat this one out, Ted. Will probably make the next one. Hopefully I can start doing some shows your way sometime in the future.

and to get back on topic the Red Hindus might not be the rarest back but they are certainly one of the best looking, imho. The first 2 posts in this thread are phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Thanks Leon.

Have a great time at the National.

TED Z

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Sat this one out, Ted. Will probably make the next one. Hopefully I can start doing some shows your way sometime in the future.

and to get back on topic the Red Hindus might not be the rarest back but they are certainly one of the best looking, imho. The first 2 posts in this thread are phenomenal.

Good morning Leon

I too, didn't set-up at this National. First one I have missed in quite a number of years.

There really haven't been any good shows here in the greater Pennsylvania / New Jersey area recently for you
to make the trip. If a future show is in the making that looks promising, I will bring it to your attention.

And, you are always welcomed to stay at the "Hotel Zanidakis".

Thanks for the complimentary words regarding this red HINDU thread......it was quite an interesting adventure.

The following post will reprise my Exclusive 12/red HINDU cards for anyone of the new members on this forum.

TED Z
Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default " It's A (Net54) Family Affair "....in completing my red HINDU Exclusive 12 sub-set

The title from Sly and the Family Stone's popular 1971 song best describes this mission. In September 2013, I acquired Doc Crandall with a red HINDU back from
Scott and Leon's auction. Since I already had the Tannehill / red HINDU card, I was motivated to try to see how quick I could complete the 12 subjects that I had
designated as the " Exclusive 12 ". In a prior thread, I made a claim that these 12 guys are considerably easier to find with this very scarce red HINDU back than
the other 31 confirmed red HINDU subjects.

Evident in the following timeline, within 2 months with the help from my friends on Net54, I had acquired 10 of these 12 red HINDU cards. And, by Dec 2014,
I had upgraded my original Ford and Hummel cards.
OK, this was too easy....and, certainly easier than I expected. But, I soon realized...."It Don't Come Easy" (Ringo Starr, 1971). It took 19 months from when I
first started this adventure until I finally acquired the elusive 12th red HINDU....Jimmy Sheckard.

These 12 guys are the only HINDU cards that were printed in the T206 set's last Series, which comprises of 48 cards that were printed ONLY with 460-type backs.

Subject .................... Net54 source ................... Date

Tannehill......... part of my T206 type collection for many years

Crandall.......... Brockelman & Luckey Auction ...... Sept 30, 2013

Wheat............ REA Auction ...... Oct 2013

Geyer............. Derek Hogue ...... Oct 2013

Duffy.............. Chris Browne (trade) ...... Nov 2013

Pfeffer........... Jason Miller ...... Nov 2013

Gandil............ Cory Weiser (cash/trade) .... Nov 2013

McGraw.......... Rob Gordy (cash/trade) ...... Nov 2013

Ford................ Jamie Blundell ...... Mar 2014
Upgrade

Hummel.................... Mike Sarno (trade) ...... Dec 2014
Upgrade

Furthermore, credit goes to Derek Hogue and Johnny V for their scouting work these past 1 1/2 years in hunting down certain red HINDU's for me.

TTOLLY EFHARISTO PHILEE MOU (Greek for....Many Thanks My Friends)

TED Z

This post continues into the next post, since there is a Net54 limit of 18 images per post.

Last edited by tedzan; 08-07-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default " It's A (Net54) Family Affair "....in completing my red HINDU Exclusive 12 sub-set

Subject ...................... Net54 source .............. Date

Sheckard.................. Heritage Auction ......... April 2015

Josh Devore......... Steve Woelfel (trade) ........ Sept 2015
Upgrade

COMPLETE

TED Z
Old 08-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I have 2 more red HINDU cards in my T206 collection. These 2 subjects are in the 350/460 series.

Here's my favorite T206 guy......

And, here's my other favorite T206 guy......

Hey guys,
I'd like to get a few more red HINDU cards....so, if anyone on this forum would entertain a trade (or sale) please contact me.

TED Z