NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Bud Obermeyer

Default National Police Gazette "Gallery" Information Needed

Very little information found on 3 full page photo series of boxers in this publication - "Gallery of Champions", "Gallery of Ring Greats", and "Gallery of Famous Fighters". I have 10 sdifferent of these pages and would like to identify the publication date for each as well as indications of value in crease free condition.

Any valid published resources on this?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM
FredYoung

I too would like info on this issue---it is a new item to me and don't believe I've ever seen them.

Hope Adam can help out!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default Police Gazette "Gallery of..." are among the most underrated boxing collectibles.

These are some of the greatest colorized pictures of boxing legends that you will find. The oldest one that I have is July 1948, Joe Louis. They did not publish them consistently until March 1950, John L. Sullivan. From that point they ran one every month until June 1959, Jack Dempsey. Then they ran sporatically until mid-year 1960. They published one final picture in February 1961, John L. Sullivan versus Jake Kilrain. The subjects included the all-time greats as well as current stars like Rocky Marciano and Sugar Ray Robinson.

In 1963 they ran some black and white boxer pictures (yawn) and in 1964 some black and pink.

I have compiled a near complete checklist that I will gladly share with other collectors or interested parties. My checklist includes:
  • month and year of issue
  • person(s) featured on cover
  • boxer's name
  • Date of the Month pin up subject

Date of the Month was full page color photo in the style of the 1950's classic pin ups. I figured I might as well collect those, too. Subjects include Marilyn Monroe (Nov '53), Jean Peters, Vera Miles, Betty Page, Evelyn West, Gina Lollobridgetta, Anita Ekberg, and Ester Williams.

1955 was a particularly interesting year for the boxers. On 9 of 12 months they included a smaller b & w current or later in life photo of the old timers with their regular full page color picture.

The pictures are roughly 10"x13", depending how they are trimmed. I cut mine out of the magazines and keep them in 50 pocket artist's portfolios. That was the main problem, how to collect them? You could keep the magazine whole. You could frame them, but it wouldn't take many to fill the wall. Once I got past that and put them in the portfolios, I have really enjoyed them.

As I said, I''ll be happy to send anyone a copy of the checklist, but it will take a couple days to key it in from my hard copy.

The Police Gazette magazines that I still need are:

Oct '48
Aug '49
Feb '50
July '57
Oct '57
July '58
July '60
Aug '60.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5790.jpg (74.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5848.jpg (73.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5827.jpg (73.8 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 12-29-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by budob View Post
Very little information found on 3 full page photo series of boxers in this publication - "Gallery of Champions", "Gallery of Ring Greats", and "Gallery of Famous Fighters". I have 10 sdifferent of these pages and would like to identify the publication date for each as well as indications of value in crease free condition.

Any valid published resources on this?
Bud,

All of mine except two have come from complete magazines on eBay auctions. Many were obtained for $5 or less including postage. I set a personal limit of $10 including postage. The only exception to my limit was with covers of Marilyn Monroe and Mickey Mantle. My experience shows that the boxer highlighted in the Gallery has little or no effect on the price of the magazine.

I have seen individual boxers on eBay starting at $10 each with little or no action. You are better off buying the complete magazines.

I have not noted on my checklist which "Gallery" each picture belongs to, but I could probably put that together, but not this weekend.

Additionally, I have saved all the Table of Contents which will help identify the specific "Gallery".

Thanks for starting this post.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Bud Obermeyer

Thank you Jerry - I would appreciate getting that checklist. The photos show the name of the gallery so I really don't need that I'll message you my email address.

Surprised to see how low the values tend to be on Police Gazette issues. I have a number of prewar issues put away, most notably one with a 3 page photo essay on the 1st game at Yankee stadium - Ruth hits 2 HRs.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM
FredYoung

Jerry--

VERY interesting information! Those pictures/pages are beautiful! Altho I had no idea these pics existed, I have always been a big boxing fan.

Started as a kid at the beginning of the '50's watching the Pabst Blue Ribbon Wed nite fights & the Fri nite Gillette Cavalcade Boxing on our little B&W TV.

I used to score the fights w/ a little booklet put out by one of those sponsors---Don't know what ever happened to it, but I wish I had it today to look thru!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Bud Obermeyer

Some additional images:

Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Jerry--

VERY interesting information! Those pictures/pages are beautiful! Altho I had no idea these pics existed, I have always been a big boxing fan.

Started as a kid at the beginning of the '50's watching the Pabst Blue Ribbon Wed nite fights & the Fri nite Gillette Cavalcade Boxing on our little B&W TV.

I used to score the fights w/ a little booklet put out by one of those sponsors---Don't know what ever happened to it, but I wish I had it today to look thru!
Fred,

I guess you were a little a head of me. I only remember my dad watching the Friday night fights from Gillette. I specifically remember the bell and announcement that opened the show. Very exciting.

If you ever run across one of those scorecards please scan and post it for us. I've never seen one and it sounds interesting.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Bud,

Your Jack Monroe was from Police Gazette dated January 1957. This was actually the first black and pink picture. They didn't print another until April 1964 which was Chas "Kid" McCoy.

Packy McFarland was issued August1952. Awesome picture!

Joe Brown and the leading lightweight contenders is from March 1958. Brown also shared the cover with Mike Todd (one of many Mr. Liz Taylors) and Eleanor Roosevelt. The mag also had a full page color team picture of the Milwaukee Braves.

Last edited by Jerry G; 12-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

More examples.

Color oddities on Harry Greb picture are light reflection from my camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5836.jpg (75.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5851.jpg (78.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5801.jpg (73.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Bud Obermeyer

I'm with Fred.... although God knows I'm considerably younger than he ..... I grew up watching the Wednesday night and Friday night fights on TV. My old man took me to many fights (and wrestling matches) at Sunnyside Arena (Queens)and Madison Square Garden in the late '40s and 1950s. Even saw a number of great gym fights in Brooklyn back then
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM
FredYoung

Jerry--

I grew up in a hotel as after the War my folks & returning-from-service Uncle went together & bought one. I'm pretty sure the scorecard was issued by Pabst (or another beer company) and was a bar handout to score the TV fights.

I had my booklet filled w/ fights I scored by sneaking downstairs & into the bar on Wed & Fri nites! Being the packrat I am about keeping (& still having) stuff from my childhood I have no idea how this booklet got away from me!

My favorites to watch back then were Kid Gavilan, Baby-Face Chuck Davy, and a guy who seemed to fight at least twice a week, Ralph "Tiger" Jones!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Jerry--

I grew up in a hotel as after the War my folks & returning-from-service Uncle went together & bought one. I'm pretty sure the scorecard was issued by Pabst (or another beer company) and was a bar handout to score the TV fights.

I had my booklet filled w/ fights I scored by sneaking downstairs & into the bar on Wed & Fri nites! Being the packrat I am about keeping (& still having) stuff from my childhood I have no idea how this booklet got away from me!

My favorites to watch back then were Kid Gavilan, Baby-Face Chuck Davy, and a guy who seemed to fight at least twice a week, Ralph "Tiger" Jones!
Kid Gavilan, just as he appeared on the old black and white with the foil on the antenna. Kinda.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5747.jpg (74.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM
FredYoung

That's the "Keed" alright! Love it! I can see the bolo punch coming right up!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Kid Gavilan!

alas, no longer mine...

Tunney reffing a Gavilan exhibition in Cuba

The photo on this PC was taken on 9/9/49, the evening of the Gavilan-Castellani bout. Check the names on the MSG marquee.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...