NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebert View Post
Wow. I could not be more impressed with the sleuthing that was done in this thread. Here I was, all set to be a little huffy at the fact that all this guy was looking for was answers on why his auto wasn't legit, and, man, am I glad I held my tongue.

Sean, I would have never thought of most of the points that you threw out here, and then to go and find the exact signature? Killed it.

Yet another reason why I belong to this forum. Just saying a quick thanks to everyone. Fantastic read.
+1
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
A did a little bit more digging and even found the autograph you traced!

http://www.collecting-autographs.com...autograph.html
I just noticed this thread today and must say GREAT WORK Sean.
Amazing how after you discovered this picture the OP has stopped posting.
Also pretty funny that an article about collecting Ruth autographs has a bogus illustration at the top.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I've often suspected some of the "can you tell me specifically what's wrong with this autograph" inquiries were forgers testing the water and looking for improvement tips. (On chat boards everywhere... Not just here.)

This is the closest I've seen to confirming that suspicion.

I believe a majority of the inquiries into autographs are along those lines. How the person reacts and what they say is a big indication. This individuals gang affiliation in addition to what was said means the red flag has been raised and flown. I was debating about holding that pic but with how I went off without it you would think I'm crazy!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I've often suspected some of the "can you tell me specifically what's wrong with this autograph" inquiries were forgers testing the water and looking for improvement tips. (On chat boards everywhere... Not just here.)

This is the closest I've seen to confirming that suspicion.
+1
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Scott R.

Guys,

I'm the OP... My name is Scott Romero, and I live in Southern California. Everything that I've posted here is 100% true and accurate. The notions that I'm a forger...or even better "gang affiliated" are completely off-base. Btw...the name "Westsiders" comes from long standing fantasy football league (league was east coast based, and I was the only one on the West Coast...hence the name).

Again, I'm new here and must be missing something. The comments about "big brother watching", and "set up"...I just don't get. If I was a forger, wouldn't I pick a more typical Ruth auto to copy? The arguements/reasoning just don't make sense to me.

I think it's amazing that Sean found this auto on-line (I looked for hours with no success). But to be honest, I don't even know what to make of it. Is the auto on there because it's an example of a fake, or is it there because the author likes the appearance of the auto?

For arguements sake, let's take my photo out of it (which btw...was 100% sent to me by the card company). Is the auto itself real???

I am frustrated...but do appreciate help. And you guys must have some experience in these chat rooms that cause you to be extremely suspicious, just not sure why.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Scott

The autograph you posted and that Sean found are one and the same as you know. In both cases, they ARE FORGERIES.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsiders View Post
Guys,

I'm the OP... My name is Scott Romero, and I live in Southern California. Everything that I've posted here is 100% true and accurate. The notions that I'm a forger...or even better "gang affiliated" are completely off-base. Btw...the name "Westsiders" comes from long standing fantasy football league (league was east coast based, and I was the only one on the West Coast...hence the name).

Again, I'm new here and must be missing something. The comments about "big brother watching", and "set up"...I just don't get. If I was a forger, wouldn't I pick a more typical Ruth auto to copy? The arguements/reasoning just don't make sense to me.

I think it's amazing that Sean found this auto on-line (I looked for hours with no success). But to be honest, I don't even know what to make of it. Is the auto on there because it's an example of a fake, or is it there because the author likes the appearance of the auto?

For arguements sake, let's take my photo out of it (which btw...was 100% sent to me by the card company). Is the auto itself real???

I am frustrated...but do appreciate help. And you guys must have some experience in these chat rooms that cause you to be extremely suspicious, just not sure why.

Thanks,

Scott
man, you just need to move on. it's been repeated over and over by many experts here that the Ruth that you posted on your original message is not genuine.

people here guard the "tricks of the trade" closely...not because of a lack of generosity, but because they don't want to enable other scammers to create better forgeries. no expert here is going to tell you specifics on WHY that sig is bad. they did you a favor (one that several of the folks on this board get PAID to do for their livings) by letting you know that it is, indeed, fake.

i dont think you're actually a scammer, personally...but you already knew the answer to your question when you came here. that "B" in Babe is messed up. tell the "card company" that the sig is NOT satisfactory. Refer them here if you need to.

i do agree with many here that this reputable card company may not actually be all that reputable.

i'll bet you are out a good deal of money, and i hope you get the outcome you deserve.

best of luck.

Christian
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Scott R.

Yep...I'm out a good chunk of change.

I had to go back and forth with the company for quite a while to get them to agree to replace the first card. Then waited several months for the replacement card, and seems I'm right back where I started...with a Ruth auto that doesn't seem legit.

Appreciate the advice.

Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I would ask the company to send you at least the SN off of the JSA cert.

That auto is so obviously bad, I would assume that any JSA certification they have is also fake.

you could send that SN info to JSA and try to find out whats up.

Quote:
Yep...I'm out a good chunk of change.

I had to go back and forth with the company for quite a while to get them to agree to replace the first card. Then waited several months for the replacement card, and seems I'm right back where I started...with a Ruth auto that doesn't seem legit.

Appreciate the advice.

Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Provide us with a photo of the "previous" card.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Scott R.

Sean, I have all the photos and JSA cert for the first card, but I'm hesitant to post it.

My reasoning is this:

Right now, the only leverage I have with the card company is that I haven't blasted them on any websites (anywhere). They seem to be working with me (such as sending me an advanced photo of the auto they want to use in the replacement card), because they don't want their name associated with fake autos. If I give them up here, and post photos of the original card, I feel that will weaken my position. My big mistake was agreeing to send in the original card without receiveing the replacement card. They said they wanted to get the original card "off the market"...and I agreed to send it in (mistake of a new collector).

And to be honest, I don't know if replacing such high-end cards is common in the industry.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Then PM it to me and I will keep it completely confidential.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Guys,

You're killling me...

If I had the JSA cert, I would post it. The card company said that it's JSA certified, and I have no reason to doubt it. The cert isn't going to provide any additional info other than to say that in JSA's "considered opinion", the auto is legit.

Trust me, the card company is tired of dealing with me, and they know that I'm going to research any auto they give to me as a replacement.
We are not killing you in all due respect you are killing us. If you tell us all of the details we can
  • Tell you if it truly is a legitimate card company. I have my doubts I have never heard of anyone purchasing a Ruth Auto and then if it is not good they send a replacement. That in itself is ridiculous.
The JSA cert number does matter we can tell if the cert truly points Tto a Ruth auto and the card would most likely show us a photo of the item. The reason why people are asking this is that the auto is so bad that they do not believe JSA certed this.
Many do not like to give details about the auto because they do not know the intentions of the person asking (forgery). Secondly if they were to tell you the details you are way too inexperienced to get it. This takes time a lot of these people on here have been in autos for 20+ years.I also would restate that if this is the second bad Babe Ruth in a row then this company is not legit. Coaches Corner has been in business awhile and a very high majority of their autos are fake.
Not trying to cause you trouble, but I have tried to summarize this in a truthful matter. Also, it is sort of silly to ask people for their help and then chastise them.
Always accepting quality consignments

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 02-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

This has got to be the weirdest autograph thread ever. Someone posts a 'Babe Ruth' that is so blatantly bad that 9 out of 10 second-graders, when shown this one along with five others, would pick it out immediately as being different.

So obviously, JSA did NOT authenticate it.

It came from a 'reputable card company' that has already taken back one fake JSA-authenticated signature? No, whoever it is, it is not possible that they are reputable. So take them to court and bring this latest 'Babe Ruth' with you.

This whole thing stinks.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM

Getting interesting (not in terms of the OP, it appears he is being honest), will update as soon as I have details (minus what I agree to keep confidential obviously).

Let's just say the cert does, in fact, check out - I won't say more yet since I don't have it.

Last edited by Sean1125; 02-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Richard Simon

How about sending us a scan of the original Ruth autograph with any identifying marks of the card company deleted from your scan?
--
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Scott

Everyone grab a Beer and a big bag of popcorn and sit back and enjoy this feature film
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Everyone grab a Beer and a big bag of popcorn and sit back and enjoy this feature film
Grab a beer? Please don't twist my arm, it being Friday and all.

I'm hoping to go home and find this waiting for me - I love cool stuff that doesn't require a professional to tell me it's cool

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM

I spoke with Scott...

It is a unique situation I can say that much. As per my post I will keep all identifying details confidential...

In a nutshell:

A Babe Ruth autograph was inserted into a product, it was pulled and Scott ended up purchasing it. It came to his attention that the autograph was questionable. He spoke with the company and after much prodding they admitted their fault and expressed interest to fix it. This is the photograph of the autograph they want to replace the previous with. The company claims it is full JSA but Scott hasn't received any copies of the letter the company claims to have for this autograph and was only provided with that photograph.

I suggested he give the board some more insight on the situation as I believe there are members here who can help, but he has several reasonable concerns and it is up to him if he wants to do that.

His inquiries into exactly what was wrong were innocent, he wanted to point the abnormalities out to the company, I believe it just struck a bad cord with events that have happened in the past.

Anyways - I jumped the gun with my statements and I apologized to Scott for them.

Hope this helps...

Sean
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Scott R.

All good Sean...no apology needed.

Appreciate you taking the time to speak with me.

I'm currently mulling over whether or not to post all the detials. Sounds like this situation is a bit more unique than I first assumed.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Matt

Not to get off subject, but just to show card companies do screw up... here's the knob of what was supposed to be a Cobb gamer- Cobb was long retired when model numbers were put on bats..
matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbknob.jpg (75.5 KB, 204 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Scott R.

I do have a quick question for you Sean.

Knowing the backstory, do you believe a JSA cert exists for the auto in this thread? And I'll throw in the disclaimer that Sean (nor I) have seen it (but I am extremely confident that it exists)?

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but many seem to think that there's no way the cert exists. And before anyone asks me to post it....I don't have it.

Must admit that this chat room is growing on me

Scott
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I do have a quick question for you Sean.

Knowing the backstory, do you believe a JSA cert exists for the auto in this thread? And I'll throw in the disclaimer that Sean (nor I) have seen it (but I am extremely confident that it exists)?

Don't mean to put you on the spot, but many seem to think that there's no way the cert exists. And before anyone asks me to post it....I don't have it.

Must admit that this chat room is growing on me

Scott
After seeing the previous cert I believe a cert could exist... Should it? I think the answer is obvious - but if the question is could one exist the answer is yes - and I think there is somewhat of a problem if it does...
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
After seeing the previous cert I believe a cert could exist... Should it? I think the answer is obvious - but if the question is could one exist the answer is yes - and I think there is somewhat of a problem if it does...
I appreciate the candor....
Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
I appreciate the candor....
Could would should? Are you going to get teh cert or not? If not, please quit saying it is certed and move on.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Could would should? Are you going to get teh cert or not? If not, please quit saying it is certed and move on.
+1
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-22-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Richard Simon

--
BREAKING NEWS:
I am selling the original version of the Ten Commandments and Moses himself signed this heretofore unknown example.
I do have a cert but it will take me a lot of time to get to it, after all I have bats and uniforms to cut up and fake autographs to attach to cards. And apparently bats that the players never really used, despite what I say.
I am a big time card manufacturer, why are you bothering me with trivialities??
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-22-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
--
BREAKING NEWS:
I am selling the original version of the Ten Commandments and Moses himself signed this heretofore unknown example.
I do have a cert but it will take me a lot of time to get to it, after all I have bats and uniforms to cut up and fake autographs to attach to cards. And apparently bats that the players never really used, despite what I say.
I am a big time card manufacturer, why are you bothering me with trivialities??
LOL

I know someone that has somewhere near 1000 cards with game used Nolan Ryan uniform swatches. Do you really believe that's possible?

I have no proof other than common sense, but I personally think this whole game used card thing is a scam. Not only that, but what they are doing with some "rare" autographs turns my stomach.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
LOL

I know someone that has somewhere near 1000 cards with game used Nolan Ryan uniform swatches. Do you really believe that's possible?

I have no proof other than common sense, but I personally think this whole game used card thing is a scam. Not only that, but what they are doing with some "rare" autographs turns my stomach.

Just my 2 cents...
The FBI made a big bust of guys selling bogus uniforms. Many or most of the uniforms were going to the card companies.
--

Tags
babe ruth