NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Brandon Brown

Default Signed HR Ball question

Hey Guys,
Im new to the non-card side of collecting, and wanted to get some opinions on a piece. A local BBC dealer (here in St. Louis) has an autographed Pujols ball that is supposed to be his record setting 14th HR in April from last season. I am a HUGE Pujols collector, and the ball has a mlb.com authentication hologram sticker, but there is no letter (to my knowledge) to go with it. He is asking a reasonable price for it ($200 more that a typical Pujols auto'd game used ball) so I thought about pulling the trigger. What is your opinion? Is there a way to be sure its the real 14th HR ball with a MLB hologram? As far as I am concerned, he is a very reputable dealer as well. Thanks all!

Brandon
Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Brandon,
I guess my question is what provenance does this item have to justify the extra.
The dealer may be very reputable, but if you go to re-sell the ball in the future, how are you going to prove to the next person the significance. Without proof, you will not be able to justify any sort of extra value, except that it is game used.
If the money isn't an issue for you, you may enjoy the ball and it's special meaning. Just don't expect to sell it to the next person, as a special ball, without independent proof.
Good luck with your decision,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
And.rew Whi.te

go to this website and put your cert number in. It will authenticate where the ball came from!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/authentication/index.jsp
Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 PM
And.rew Whi.te

The MLB cert is as good as gold and with the MLB website to look up the cert you should be able to prove authentication when it comes time to sell if need be! Hopefully the MLB cert matches up to the event your guy is saying the ball is from!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Brandon Brown

Hey Andrew,
Just curious how MLB can authenticate a HR ball, if the ball isnt specificly marked prior to its use in a game, like with the Bonds HR ball? Do they just take the submitting owners' word on its provenance and then assign it their cert? Thanks!

Brandon
Old 05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
And.rew Whi.te

MLB has an authenticator at every game for occasions such as this. If it was a milestone home run I can pretty much guess the authenticator was waiting for it and was on the spot shortly after the ball landed.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:46 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Andrew,
Great info.
I had no idea they did this. It certainly makes sense.
Geez, they can figure this out, but we still have the DH in baseball. I guess they can't get it right every time.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Brandon Brown

Wow, That is good info. I might just have to buy it afterall! I will let you guys know what I find out!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 AM

Default Pujols home run ball

Yes, but.....
Brandon,
With alot of these MLB.com balls the authentification may revolve around the ball being "from the game" that a player hit a particular HR. Make sure the provenance is specific about the ball being "the actual HR ball", which of course is a completely differerent thing, IMHO. If the verbage surrounding the provenance is specific it sounds like it would be a great addition to your Pujols collection.
Good collecting!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-02-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Brandon Brown

Default Updated info...

I finally got back over to the shop that has the Pujols ball. I looked up the MLB authentication #, and you guys who said to be wary were correct! It is a ball used in that game, not the actual 14th HR ball. I am going to pass on it, even though he offered it to me for $100 less than the original asking proce. Thanks for the help guys, you definitely saved me some money!

Brandon