NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM

Default What do you do when you spot a reprint on ebay?

So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.

This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Craig Wright

It's a reprint. You can email the seller and give him the opportunity to correct the listing.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:34 PM
pete ullman

i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i do nothing...if I felt the need to take action on every suspect card I see on ebay id have no time to take a sh%t!

caveat emptor people.
+1

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
Al Richter

Default Time

Pete-- if you have a smart phone or I Pad you can do both
Old 03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
That is funny!!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Why ruin a good trip to the throne?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:19 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
haha...I usually do!!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
So I was looking around on ebay and ran into this: Questionable Home Run Baker.

This looks like a reprint to me. The words "Cracker Jack" are cut off by the border of the card, and in my (admittedly limited) experience, I've only ever seen that on reprints.

Compare to the legit one that PSA has on-line.

So, if this really is a reprint, what do you do? Send the seller a message and hope that they say "oops, honest mistake" and correct the listing? I'd rather not get involved, but I also don't want somebody to unknowingly buy a reprint, and don't want reprints circulating around in the hobby. (Also, given my limited experience with Cracker Jacks, I'm not 100% sure it is a reprint, and so wouldn't say anything unless someone who knows better confirms my suspicion.)
Buyer beware. There are so many reprints - it is tough to report them all.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM
A.J. Johnson

the easiest giveaway is the color of the jersey doesn't match the borders
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

caveat emptor people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Buyer beware. There are so many reprints - it is tough to report them all.
I know it is everyone's choice, especially those in the know, and being fairly new to all this, I wish more collectors would take the time to report some of these.

My take, and take it for what it's worth from a newbie, is, the more this stuff goes unreported the worst it will get, and that will not only affect me, it ultimately will affect you guys and the hobby overall as well.

I am not saying to scour E-Bay or the likes 24/7, just saying, if you have the time and notice one or some, do us all a favor, including the hobby, and report these guys like Nat is trying to do.

My 2 cents anyways.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I've been known to contact sellers when I catch a reprint and the seller has it listed as original. I don't collect older cards like most of you do, but I have seen it off and on when I'm looking for Venezuelan cards or Desert Shield cards.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Travis Bid.ner

I do NOTHING! I don't understand why there are new threads everyday about FAKES! I buy all my cards(t206) off of the internet and only use my phone. So the pictures are pretty small and still have no problem at all spotting a fake! I would think most collectors on here can do the same. I usually don't bother reading these posts about fakes either. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to ruffle any tail feathers.

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 03-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Jason Wells

I just move on past it. Luckily the cards I collect havent been reprinted to my knowledge except the JJ and Stengel card. I have never seen a T209 reprint.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
haha...I usually do!!!!
Remind me to never borrow one of your devices.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Remind me to never borrow one of your devices.
wise decision...but I'd guess most here take their devices to the bathroom with them!!!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
wise decision...but I'd guess most here take their devices to the bathroom with them!!!!!
I don't@!!@ My laptop is on my lap long enough every day. I will not take it to the library with me.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Fred

There's not much you can do. You can contact the seller and tell them, but from what I heard only results in the seller telling the person to piss off or they don't receive a response.

I just wait to see if anybody posts it here and hope that it is not another Elvis sighting (a fake T206 Wagner).
Old 03-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Bill

Caveat emptor.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

10 people working full time could not out all the fakes on ebay. If you add all of the "it looks old to me but I am selling it as a reprint" items then it would take 50 people.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
There's not much you can do. You can contact the seller and tell them, but from what I heard only results in the seller telling the person to piss off or they don't receive a response.

I just wait to see if anybody posts it here and hope that it is not another Elvis sighting (a fake T206 Wagner).
Usually the seller knows that it's a fake. That's why they use language like "per ebay rules I'm listing it as a reprint." If it was real the seller would have gotten it graded.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM

If it's a scam reporting it won't do anything (they'll just repost it later), but if it's an honest mistake it saves somebody from wasting money (there were a few bids on this card). Yeah, buyer beware is good advice, but if it takes just a few seconds to save somebody from wasting money on something worthless...

FWW, I sent the guy a message and he wrote back saying thanks for the info, and took the card down. In this case I suspect it was an honest mistake, his seller history included lots of thrift store stuff and no cards.