NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default When will Grading Card Co.'s Consider..

Posted By: Danny Grimes

I have an awesome T206 Johnson in which was hoping for a graded 3. the front is flawless VG-EX - EX. The back has a hard to see wrinkle and a few minor spots of paperloss. The Paperloss broken down is in the upper left of "P" in piedmont, faint spots around the "D" and "M" and another minor spot around the bottom of the "T".. I was truly hoping for a 3 on this and they graded it a 2 and i'm kinda heartbroken, but should i be considerate?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Danny:

Appears to be quite a bit of paste residue on the back as well as the slight paper loss. With that said it deserves a "3". It is one beautiful card that I would be proud to have in my collection irrespecive of the assigned grade.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

steve, you think so? im not up on what backs look like after being glued/pasted etc. but i was hoping that was just general wear. all the browning and stuff. surely im proud to own this piece and will never let it go but i feel it deserves a little better treatment and agree.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The way I was taught to grade, anything paper loss automatically drops the card to Good, no matter how good it looks. Always love those dealers that describe a card as NM except for (inset major flaw here). How can it be NM, or whatever high grade is claimed, if it has a major flaw?

Jay

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

If it is a card that you are keeping in your collection, why do you care about 1 grade? It's a great looking card. Enjoy it!!! Jim.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I think the grading scale does not take into account how the card looks overall.I'm not sure I agree with automatic downgrades for certain card issues i.e. tobacco/gum stains and if a card has a blank back does it really have to be an automatic 2 if there is some glue residue or small spot of paper loss. Your card is beautiful regardless of the assigned grade and you could always crack it out and keep it raw.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank C

Danny, it's still a very respectable card. If it bothers you too much that it's a 2, I'll buy it from you, just pop me an e-mail...

Frank

Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

and while grading companies (quite rightly in my opinion) grade strictly on the presence or absense of specific flaws, collectors show far greater understanding and discernment. With the way this card presents I think it's fair to guess you would achieve close to '3' prices if you should sell.... thus the only thing that could possibly bother you is the number on the flip - and all that really provides is a technical assessment helping decribe the card. In this instance, your scan says so much more!

Daniel

Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Most collections have a few "near-mint" 2s. Great fronts that were likely scrapbook salvage. I don't get hung up on the numbers, just grateful it's authentic. Your's is a very nice.

The back of this Lou has two small and barely noticeable areas of paperloss. I've seen worse looking 4's

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Danny,
That is a beautiful card, regardless of the technical grade. I think that due to the paper loss, it is graded accurately. But it absolutely has much better eye-appeal than the grade presumes. If you were to sell it, a card like that would command a premium over a PSA 2 price without a doubt. Like others said, if you are not selling it, don't worry about it.
JimB

Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

The technical grade of a card is simply a grading company's opinion of what factors to take into account in assigning a grade to a card, and how much weight to give to each factor. Such an assessment is subjective, and people can reasonably differ as to how to grade a card. I view a card's technical grade as merely a guide as to the card's condition, and in many cases materially misleading and in plain contravention of simple common sense. For example, aesthetics is not given nearly enough weight (your T206 Johnson being a great example of that point). The oft-repeated saying "buy the card, not the holder" is as good a saying as exists in the world of collecting.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks for keeping my chin up people. NO im not looking to sell it, but i had hopes for 3 grade. Like most of you stated also i have seen worse graded 3's and 4's myself and am lucky to have it. Thanks