NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Mike

This set has been driving me crazy for quite some time now. Between the gloss cracking on the backs, the scratch-off sections, the perf stubs, and the front ink colors fading ... I can't seem to complete the set in much higher than EX/MT-ish condition.

Which one of you guys is sitting on all of the minty looking Magic cards I need!

Mike

PS - Just spent the last hour reading all these football threads. Fantastic info! I really hope this forum takes off!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: JimCrandell

Mike,

I may have some you like--tell Artie, Fuzz, and our fb dealer friends to start posting here.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: JimCrandell

Love these cards--Here is Tom Rushing.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Fred Y

Another very interesting FB set as it features only College players.

Once again, this set of mine was put together from packs 56 yrs ago & stored away until recent yrs---it remains complete as I bought it back then w/ no additions or upgrades ever made.

Most of my backs were very neatly & completely scratched and contrary to what Mike says he usually finds in search of nice examples, I have hardly any w/ cracked glossy backs and the colors remain as nice as when purchased.

Mike--I'm not sure what you mean by perf stubs? Are you meaning that some were issued in panels/strips like '51 Topps Ringside boxing cards?

Anyhow, here are 2 pages, F & B, of my set. Note the pink color on the reverse of #20---Not sure if it's sweet pink bubble gum or a printers mark!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Anonymous

Fred,

Those are absolutely stunning cards of a very difficult set in high grade. Wow--I am very impressed. Have you considered having them graded?

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Fred Y

Thank You for the compliment--and I definitely agree--it IS a very tough set in High Grade.

So many cards were badly cut and there were many straight from packs that were out of register also.

The glossy-type finish on the reverse was very suscepible to "crazing" over time and too vigorous removal of the silver coating led to scratching/tearing of the picture underneath.

As for grading--yes, I am considering it. Just last fall I made the plunge & had my '52 Large set graded (minus 21 cards--See '52 thread), but it is a rather large expense as you well know!

PS--Alas, My Vic Janowicz is cut right along the black on the rt border!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: JinCrandell

Fred,

If you sent in say 500 at once I would guess PSA would do it for $6 per card.

Jim

Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Mike

Fred,

Thank You!! Yes, "Crazing" ... I knew there was a more appropriate word for it, but I couldn't think of it. (it was bugging me too ... tip of the tounge thing).

Anyway, the crazing seems to be the biggest killer of getting NM's or better when you grade them. Also, unfortunately, the scratched backs will usually keep them in PSA 6's holders. I've seen a few exceptions, but not many. I think the graders are still trying to get a handle on how to consistanly grade these cards, as I've been getting back grades that seem to conflict with prior submissions.

As for the perf stubs, I'm really not sure why some have them and others don't? I use to think that the ones without the stubs had been trimmed, but as I'm seeing more and more of them surface, I'm guessing that they were just distributed several different ways. Some must have been traditionally sheet cut while others were perf cut, and maybe distributed in some type of panels? I've heard 2-up from several people, but I still haven't seen one to confirm it.

I've also noticed what looks like 2 different types of perf cuts, so the panels may have been laid out in different configurations, or distributed in different 2-up / 4-up type quantities? One has about 7 touch points along the bottom, and maybe 3 on the top. While the other has more of a straight ----------- perf look along the bottom. Maybe there was two seperate print runs, or maybe a blade change during the perf run? I really don't know, and unfortunately, I still have more questions than answers.

Speaking of which, I couldn't tell by your statement above (Fred) ... did you personally pull those cards out of packs? If so, do you remember how many cards came in a pack, and did it include gum? BTW, nice looking cards!

Hopefully, some collectors with more experience than me will chime in on this thread and answer some of these questions I have.

Either way, I'm glad to see it start to gain some interest ever since PSA finally decided to include them in the SMR price guide.

Now, if we could just get them to recognize (and grade) the 1948-52 (W-468) Football Exhibit cards, we'd have another great vintage set to play with!

Mike