NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Chicago Baseball Autograph Scrapbook - 1938/9

Hello everyone.

I inherited a baseball scrapbook from my dad a few years back. It includes signed newsprint of 30 Chicago Cubs & White Sox. I think my dad collected the signatures while hanging out at the baseball parks. I vaguely remember some family members talking about it.

Tony Lazzeri; Joe Marty; Monty Stratton; Rip Radcliff; Bill Dietrich; Jim O'Dea; Luke Sewell; Bill Lee; Bob Logan; Charlie Grimm; Jack Knott; Bill Jurges; Jack Russell; Tex Carleton; Joe Kuhel; Bob Garbark; Tony Rensa; Frank Gabler; Luke Appling; Jim Asbell; Ripper Collins; Vance Page; Billy Herman; Harry Boyles; Marv Owen; Norm Schlueter; Al Epperly; Hank Steinbacher; Clay Bryant; Augie Galan

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the more valuable signatures validated, by which service, and also trying to figure out if I should sell the item individually or as a group. I'm looking for opinions on the value as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Images link --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/kA9vVFTTqHSJMHGD8

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by sbiller1; 11-09-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Added image link
Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM
J Stone

Hi Sam - welcome to the forums.

I'm sure others will chime in, but it looks like from your pictures that the signatures are printed as part of the pictures and not actual autographs. If the pictures are indeed newsprint one would find ink bleeding into the paper and I don't see that from your pictures, although I can't zoom in far enough to tell for sure.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Fred

1938 Chicago Daily News Cutouts. They were in the newspaper every Saturday, one Cub and one White Sox player i believe. The Daily News also sold a scrap book album for kids to cut out the pictures and paste into it.
They are pre-printed autos on regular newspaper paper.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Really interesting. I'm surprised that some of the signatures are not very well placed on the photos. See Al Epperly for example. A few of the photos are loose so I can examine the front and back. I do see the signature showing through when I put it up to a light source but I don't know if that means anything. There is a JSA authentication show in a local hotel here in Tampa this weekend. I'm thinking I should bring the scrapbook by for them to take a look. I distinctly remember a family discussion at some point that my dad used to get signatures at the park.

Here are some closeups of the signatures to see if that sheds any additional information.

Jim Asbell front

Jim Asbell back

Ripper Collins front

Ripper Collins back

Other closeups of sigs - still stapled to page

Below is one example of a signature right on top of a bar that makes it difficult to read.

Thanks again,
Sam

Last edited by sbiller1; 11-09-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added one additional photo
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM

I actually found a 10X loop that I purchased years ago to look at diamonds... a close look at the signatures makes them sure look like a brownish pen. There is a little bleed around the newsprint but it is very subtle. I'm not sure if there is a way to capture it with a photo.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM

I used a better camera... let me know if these macro photos help.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:44 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

They are pre-printed, not real autos. Search 1938 Chicago cutouts on eBay, a bunch of them for sale.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Jon Canfield

Honestly, save your money - they are definitely pre-printed signatures. Here's one on eBay at the moment and you will see it has the same pre-printed signature:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Whiteh...75.c100623.m-1
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM

Darn... I see them on ebay now... I wasn't searching with the right keywords. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm dissapointed but glad you guys saved me some additional grief.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Jon Canfield

No reason to be disappointed. It's a great memento from your dad, and the personal value would have far outweighed the economic value anyway!