NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM
David Peck

Default 1982-83 Wrestling All Stars PSA Graded Cards

I haven't posted much on this board but have been active on others. My primary collecting focus is the Wrestling All Stars sets in PSA graded form. I have been having some fun pulling my sets off the wall and re-scanning some of my better cards with the black background. I will update the thread with more scans over time.

Here are some of my better cards in no particular order.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM
David Peck

Last edited by Dpeck100; 01-03-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:41 PM
David Peck

Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
David Peck

I just got this in the mail today. Very pleased I was able to win this card.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:30 PM
David Peck

Some fresh scans.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:11 AM
David Peck

I had not bothered to create any digital albums because I only had the front of the cards scanned and not the backs so the album would be incomplete. I am in the process of scanning all of the cards from the 1982 and 83 Wrestling All Stars sets for PSA's card facts site so I decided I would create the albums now that I have fresh front and back scans.

It is a really cool feature and a great way to display your cards online. I am 2/3 of the way done and still need to scan the 1983 set.

Here is the album for the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A. I think it looks awesome!

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...px?setid=74732
Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 AM
David Peck

I stayed up late last night and finished the third set. Here is the complete album.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...x?setid=180847
Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM
David Peck

Old 02-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

new scanner looks good!

sucks having to rescan, but they look so much better...
Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Those are so cool! The names of the wrestlers take me back to high school. Thanks for posting them, loved it!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:36 AM
David Peck

Thanks for the comments guys.

I purchased an Epson V600 recently and the scans finally do the cards justice.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

i have the v550 and have loved it since i got her outta the box.

still cant figure out how to do front/back scans at the same time w/ a black background.

if you ever figure out, shoot me a text!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:06 AM
David Peck

I went through my large stack of magazines and programs and pulled out one of each of the adds that feature different wrestlers to scan. They ran the adds numerous times and featured different performers based on the program or magazine that was offered in the various territories. I chose one of each. There are a few missing that I have scanned with my old scanner but need to find them and will add those at some point.

This was ran for example only in three programs from the AWA.

This was ran for the CWA in Memphis.

This was for the WWF.

From Mid South.

The AWA.

Introducing the 1983 set.

The 1983 set in an AWA program.

The 1983 set in Mid South.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM
David Peck

Reading about the very rare back Ty Cobb got me to thinking about this card.

So far the only known blank back Andre The Giant. PSA wouldn't grade it so I sent it to SGC.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 AM
David Peck

I recently finished scanning and loading the images into the PSA digital album feature that is offered in the PSA set registry. The sets now feature commentary and are complete.

If you have a second please check them out as it is a great trip down memory lane and features some really nice cards.

Wrestling All Stars mega set.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...x?setid=180847

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...px?setid=74732

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...px?setid=82310

1983 Wrestling All Stars

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...px?setid=81028
Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 PM
David Peck

I just got these back today in the mail. They were signed in NY at the wrestling convention. I try to get the best centered raw cards I can signed.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 PM
David Peck

It didn't take long for the second Moolah in a PSA 9 to hit EBAY. The centering on this card is spectacular. I wondered why it wasn't a 10 and the upper right corner on the reverse is barely touched. A truly beautiful card.

You can barely see the white in the upper left corner.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 AM
David Peck

I have been trying to track down one of these programs for my collection at a reasonable price for awhile and finally got one. I first became interested in it because it features the photo used for the Harley Race card but soon realized it is the program that features the debut of The Fabulous Hulk Hogan in Madison Square Garden from December 17th 1979 where he takes on Ted Dibiase. A great artifact from wrestling history.

Here is the link to the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNqx5Zf230

Last edited by Dpeck100; 03-25-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 AM
David Peck

Here are the programs that Hogan was featured in prior to his debut in MSG.

From Memphis. Terry The Hulk Boulder.

From GCW

Just days before working as Sterling Golden.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Always enjoy reading your wrestling posts, Mr. Peck. They bring back so many memories. I had seen the line-up for that MSG card before on one of the wrestling boards I read, but that really is a fabulous card In addition to the Backlund WWF title defense, you get Race vs. Dusty for the NWA title, Hogan's MSG debut, Inoki and a young Dynamite Kid.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-25-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:49 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Always enjoy reading your wrestling posts, Mr. Peck. They bring back so many memories. I had seen the line-up for that MSG card before on one of the wrestling boards I read, but that really is a fabulous card In addition to the Backlund WWF title defense, you get Race vs. Dusty for the NWA title, Hogan's MSG debut, Inoki and a young Dynamite Kid.

Thanks for checking out my posts. I was born in 1979 so it is a lot of fun to go back in time from an era I didn't get to see when wrestling mattered. A neighbor's parents were in town this week and they saw some of my collection on the wall and went nuts. They are from upstate New York and said that wrestling was just huge in the 1970's there and loved seeing so many of the wrestlers they saw perform. I love the nostalgia of these cards and what they mean to wrestling history.

I have quite a few wrestling DVD's and was watching a match last night between Backlund and Harley Race from the Garden. Man Backlund was strong. It was amazing seeing two real pro's go at it. They did such a great job of making it believable. The moves, the ring psychology all told a story and the crowd reactions from the Garden are just awesome. I love seeing those old matches.

When I looked at that card sheet I said damn that card was stacked. No wonder people turned out in huge numbers to see it.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Thanks for checking out my posts. I was born in 1979 so it is a lot of fun to go back in time from an era I didn't get to see when wrestling mattered. A neighbor's parents were in town this week and they saw some of my collection on the wall and went nuts. They are from upstate New York and said that wrestling was just huge in the 1970's there and loved seeing so many of the wrestlers they saw perform. I love the nostalgia of these cards and what they mean to wrestling history.

I have quite a few wrestling DVD's and was watching a match last night between Backlund and Harley Race from the Garden. Man Backlund was strong. It was amazing seeing two real pro's go at it. They did such a great job of making it believable. The moves, the ring psychology all told a story and the crowd reactions from the Garden are just awesome. I love seeing those old matches.

When I looked at that card sheet I said damn that card was stacked. No wonder people turned out in huge numbers to see it.
I was born in 1972, and I may have written on here before but I grew up going to WW(W)F television tapings every third Wednesday at the Hamburg (Pa.) Fieldhouse and occasionally every third Tuesday at Allentown's Ag Hall when I could talk my father into making the 45-minute drive to Allentown on a work night.

One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my father bitterly complaining when the general admission tickets went from $3 to $4 at Hamburg.

I was a huge wrestling fan when I was in elementary school and used to pore over the various mags detailing far-off territories every month. I would get so excited when a guy like Mil Mascaras, who was hyped to the moon in the "Apter mags," would make an occasional appearance at Hamburg. It was only decades later that I read online how difficult he could be to work with at times and how he often refused to allow his opponent any offense. It is amazing to read online now and in some of the better wrestling autobiographies the back story of various title changes/angles and what various guys from that era were really like. When I was a kid, I had no idea what a drunkard Andre was. As a kid of 8-9, I was legit terrified that George Steele would attack my father or me when he would leave the ring and come into the stands at Hamburg. I would have never imagined that he has a master's degree and was actually a phys. ed. teacher in real life.

It always seemed crazy to me when I would look at old MSG cards and see that Dusty occasionally traveled in for a five-minute squash match (in addition to the '77 WWWF title match against Superstar Graham). But I have read that Rhodes loved New York City and wrestling at the Garden.

I have not yet read Backlund's book, but from everything I have seen online and in reviews, it is supposedly an amazing read -- right up there with Mick Foley's first book, Dynamite Kid's book and Bret Hart's book.

Even as a kid, I knew the atmosphere and how emotionally invested fans were in what they were seeing was amazing -- and Hamburg/Allentown were certainly no MSG or Philadelphia Spectrum. Just the sight of Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson walking out of the dressing room and toward the broadcast table to signify that each hour was about to begin would be met with a huge pop from the crowd.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-26-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I was a kid in the 70's and grew up in Minnesota where the AWA was headquartered. I love watching the shows on the weekend mornings. A number of the AWA guys were from Minnesota. It was king in its day. It's funny you mention being afraid of the wrestlers because the wrestlers used to be afraid of the crowds. Those cards are great.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Glad to see other die hard old school wrestling fans. I grew up in NY too with the wwwf/wwf. I too love watching the shoot interviews. Can you imagine a fan coming to the ring and stabbing blackjack mulligan while he wrestled Pedro morales in Boston garden. Talk about a time when wrestling was "real".
Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeabe View Post
Glad to see other die hard old school wrestling fans. I grew up in NY too with the wwwf/wwf. I too love watching the shoot interviews. Can you imagine a fan coming to the ring and stabbing blackjack mulligan while he wrestled Pedro morales in Boston garden. Talk about a time when wrestling was "real".
When I was a kid attending television tapings in Hamburg and Allentown, no one terrified me like George Steele coming into stands and "attacking" fans. But I wasn't real comfortable when Blackjack Mulligan would wrestle some hapless jobber like a Frankie Williams or Steve King, either.

The WWF of the time did a fabulous job building up Mulligan as fearsome heel by using a huge, red "X' across the television screen every time Mulligan would apply the claw so that viewers at home would not be traumatized by the sight of gushing blood. I can remember my friends coming over to my house and we would sit about one inch from the television screen and try to see around the "X" for any signs of blood when Mulligan would apply the claw.

Like I said, I was a voracious reader of wrestling magazines as a kid. My friends and I would seemingly take turns reacting with righteous indignation if any of us would express even the slightest unfamiliarity with wrestlers or territories from other parts of the country or the world.

I can remember how furious I would get as a kid when valuable time on the weekly television broadcasts would be wasted by showing a women's match. Little did I know at the time the reason why Moolah was the women's champion for decades. The occasional midget match with the inevitable spot where one (or more) of the combatants would bite the ref in the ass was only slightly more palatable.

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-27-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 AM
David Peck

I started watching wresting when I was in diapers and probably realized what I was watching at four or five. Growing up in Orlando my dad went to a lot of the matches in the 70's at the Orlando Sports Stadium later named the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium. Once he had a few kids his days of attending the matches were over. My favorite story growing up that he told countless times was the night that Buddy Colt broke the arm of Johnny Walker. He and his friends loved the action but naturally questioned its authenticity but on this night there was nothing fake about it. Sitting ring side and witnessing Colt hurl Walker into the ring post and seeing his arm break severely right in front of them left them feeling it was real! I bought him a signed Buddy Colt photo and Johnny Walker and gave him a graded Mr. Wrestling II which was Walker's latter gimmick. He loved it.

We didn't have cable so we got to watch wrestling on Sunday's and many times our mom forced us to turn it off when Kevin Sullivan and his Army of Darkness would come out with the satanic story lines. I can remember my dad quoting the late great Gordon Solie and saying he turned his face into a crimson mask. When church was over at noon we did our best to get home as quick as possible and only miss the first few minutes of the show.

Once Hulkamania hit I was beyond hooked and never stopped watching. What great memories so many have from wrestling.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM
David Peck

If there are any cards you want to see just ask and I will post them. I made fresh scans not too long ago of all 108 cards front and back.

You can also check out my little show and tell website that has tons of the programs and images from them at www.1982wrestlingallstars.com
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Tyler

I'm not really even a fan of wrestling, but these cards are just awesome!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
I'm not really even a fan of wrestling, but these cards are just awesome!
Thanks for taking the time to check them out. I realize a lot of people aren't big wrestling fans but they are super cool cards and have a very unique story behind them. I love the simplicity of the design and they did a nice job on the bio's on the back. The photos used date as far back as 1973 so there are a few cards like the Bruiser Brody where in 1982 he didn't look anything like the picture that was used for the card but it is neat to find the magazines or programs that date back much further then when the cards were distributed.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

break out the "blanked back giant" for 'em....

(usually don't covet much fellas, but this is a cool one)
Old 04-05-2016, 04:54 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Reading about the very rare back Ty Cobb got me to thinking about this card.

So far the only known blank back Andre The Giant. PSA wouldn't grade it so I sent it to SGC.

Here you go Bob.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:40 PM
David Peck

I saw the preview today for the up coming PWCC auction that starts April 21st and it looks like the third PSA 9 is finally coming to market via EBAY. It will be interesting to see where that card finishes.

The Andre card is a very unique one as it is the first card in the set and was exposed to the direct impact of the cellophane. I purchased numerous copies that were graded by BGS and every single copy didn't cross in the holder and why I learned to crack out cards from their holders. Each graded lower when sent to PSA and a few two grades lower.

Here is the background on the Andre photo. The picture comes from a shot taken with him and Dusty Rhodes holding up the NWA Tri State titles they won in a 10 man tournament the night of December 25th 1978. It was Andre's first title and they vacated them immediately as Andre had traveling commitments.

Here is my copy in PSA 9 mint condition.

The Dream Team. This magazine is from March of 1979.

This is from February 22nd 1979 where they battled The Assassin and The Angel.

The photo was cropped and used on numerous other programs to promote his mega bouts with Hulk Hogan.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 04-12-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

bumped evan's hogan:

Old 04-15-2016, 08:23 PM
David Peck

I thought that card in a PSA 7 with how sharp it is was harsh. An 8 seems right.

Nice purchase on your part.

There are 2 of the 14 PSA 9 Hogan's coming to market through PWCC next week with the Andre. It will be interesting to see how they do.

I won two cards in the recent auction and will post scans once I get them. Two very nice additions to my collection.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:36 AM
David Peck

I honestly never thought this card would surface. When PSA interviewed me years ago I was asked to highlight some of the best cards and I naturally chose the Kerry Von Erich. In the article I stated I didn't think a PSA 10 would ever surface and I was wrong.

Growing up in Orlando without cable television in the early 80's the only wrestling content we got to see was Championship Wrestling From Florida and by 1985 the WWF had made it on network television. My parents bought me a paperback copy of a wrestling book and it had this incredibly muscular wrestler on the cover holding the NWA Heavyweight Title belt. I had no clue who it was and finally put two and two together a few years later when my neighbor let me watch wrestling in his room on ESPN. It was none other then Kerry Von Erich. I followed his career from that point forward until his unfortunate death at 33.

This was the only centered copy I really had ever seen.

Since I started collecting the cards in 2009 there was really no other high grade copy I wanted more and remember going all out on the first PSA 9. I self subbed the second and then the PSA 8.5. My heart sank when I got the text from the collector who owned this card and was sending it in to PSA because it was without question the best copy I had ever seen and I wanted it.

Unexpectedly the doorbell rang this morning and the two cards I just won Thursday night were being delivered. I am so excited to add this card to my collection.

Here are other magazine clippings that feature the photo used for this great card.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 04-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM
David Peck

I have worked really hard to track down the best copies of every card in the Wrestling All Stars sets. I have countless copies of this card and it is plagued by terrible top to bottom centering, a black line that runs through the W, damaged corners and a lot of ink smudging by his name.

This is a tremendous example and had there not been an ink spot by the T perhaps the first PSA 10.

I got stretched to the limit winning the Kerry Von Erich card and had to tap out and not put in my high bids on a few others but was fortunate enough to take this one home at a solid price and knock off another card needed in top grade.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Hi Dpeck100,

Awesome collection. To summarize, I was once heavily into pro wrestling, more specifically on the independent level. But that is a different story for a different day. Of all your cards I most like the one of my all-time favorite Bob Backlund. Very cool and in such great condition.

Best,
John
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 AM
David Peck

Thanks for checking out the cards. I recently scanned all of the fronts and backs for PSA and here are the scans of the Backlund card. I love watching his old matches from the Garden. Man he was strong!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Hi Dpeck100,

Agreed, Bob’s conditioning and strength are beyond amazing. I’ve had the chance to know him since the early 1990’s. He keeps in great shape, even to this day. In case you might not be aware, he has an autobiography that was released last year.

Quick card question. Might you know how many PSA 10 cards there are of Backlund, and what the estimated value might be?

Best,
John
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
David Peck

The Bob Backlund is a Pop 2 in a PSA 10.

I am in this one which was the first to hit for $650. The second one came out and at auction went for $441.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Hi Dpeck100,

Wow, that is very cool that you own one of only 2 of the card rated a PSA 10! I'm pleased it is in the hands of a true fan.

Best always,
John
Old 05-06-2016, 08:26 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpointone View Post
Hi Dpeck100,

Wow, that is very cool that you own one of only 2 of the card rated a PSA 10! I'm pleased it is in the hands of a true fan.

Best always,
John
I was very excited to add this card to my collection when I did. It had been a little over a year since I had an upgrade to the set.

If there are any other stars from that era you like here is the 1982 A set.

http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...t.aspx?s=74732
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 PM
David Peck

I love how these look with my new scanner. I added some to my Photobucket account and here are some of the recent scans.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 05-12-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 PM
David Peck

Last edited by Dpeck100; 05-12-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 PM
David Peck

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 PM
David Peck

Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 AM
David Peck

So far it looks like the Dale Murphy set has me beat in the contest PSA is running for the best digital album.

If you haven't voted yet and like my set I would appreciate any support to try and capture the gold.

The Murph has got Hogan on the mat. Time for Hulkamania to Hulk up and drop the big leg on the 6'4 210 pip squeak from Portland.

If that doesn't work maybe Andre can run in and give him a big splash for the win!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Link to PSA/CU board link:
https://forums.collectors.com/messag...hreadid=962639

Above are the judges’ nominated albums for the 2016 PSA Set Registry Awards for BEST DIGITAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR. Criteria for excellence includes completion, quality of images, and owner’s comments. You have only one vote so choose carefully! (Note, you must be logged in to the message board to see and participate in the poll.) Voting closes May 31st at 5pm EST (2pm PST).

Josh Alpert - Los Azules '67 - 1967 Venezuela Retirado

Paleocards - 1974 Laughlin Old-Time Black Stars - 1974 Laughlin Old-Time Black Stars

Benjamin Whitener - Dale Murphy Basic Topps Set - Dale Murphy Basic Topps Set

Steve Wolfe's Mr. Cowboy Set - Bob Lilly Basic Set

Bert Caverson - 1954 Parkhurst Master Set Collection - 1954-55 Parkhurst – Master

Kelly's first hockey set - 1973-74 Topps

GretzkyCards' All-Time Leafs - All-Time Toronto Maple Leafs

The Stock Car Museum - 1989 Winners Circle

masterbashie - 1961 Nu-Cards Horror Monsters

dpeck100 - 1982-1983 Wrestling All Stars Complete Set
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 PM

Good luck, looks like you are up by only one vote!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I voted for the wrestling cards.
I saw on the CU boards where the Murph guy is trying to get people to sign-up just to vote for him- what a douche move. Let the sets talk for themselves and earn it fairly.
I saw those cards on EBay's last auction of the Hogan and Andre cards, almost wanted to bid on them, but the prices were 'shockin' to see. Good Luck with the contest.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice