NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM
David Kathman

Default The origins of card counterfeiting, 1972-74

In light of the autographed T206 scandal, I thought people might be interested in reading about some of the earliest attempts to pass off fake cards in the organized hobby, in the early 1970s. The first part of this post consists of a slightly edited version of a post I wrote almost two years ago, about the fake-card scandals of 1972. That original post is here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235236. It's interesting to see that the FBI apparently got involved, even though the money involved was orders of magnitude less than today, and that Charles Bray's bimonthly auction in Card Collector's Bulletin got fooled by some of the fakes, marking the first of many times that an auction house got fooled by hobby fraud. Bray removed the cards from the auction when they were pointed out to him, before they had sold.

The last part of this post is drawn from a post of mine about Lionel Carter's account of the 1974 Detroit show (then the de facto National), at which Irv Lerner showed him some fake copies of 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #68 (that set's rarity, then a hot item in the hobby) that somebody had tried to sell to Lerner. I've posted the first page of Carter's account of the second day of the convention, followed by an article about the fakes from Sports Collectors Digest, as part of their coverage of the convention.

Collectors today know that fakes are all over the hobby, and that you always need to be on the lookout for them, especially when dealing with high-end cards. That's one of the reasons grading services have become so popular. But this wasn't the case in the early days of the organized hobby, when the idea of a fake baseball card never would have occurred to anybody. This was mainly because virtually no cards were worth enough to make it worth a counterfeiter's time and effort. Also, when advanced collectors bought or traded cards, it was either with people they knew, or through the mail with the buyer writing a check. I've read through a lot of hobby publications from the 1950s and 1960s, and I've never seen any references to fake cards, or people worrying about fakes.

This changed in the 1970s, once the hobby became more organized and prices began rising substantially. It was inevitable that fake cards were going to enter the hobby at some point, as the economic incentives started getting greater. I can't claim to know for sure when the first fake baseball cards were made, but the first instance of fakery to become widely known in the hobby happened in the spring of 1972. Rich Egan, one of the leading researchers on prewar baseball card sets over the previous decade, reported on the situation in the May 1972 issue of The Ballcard Collector (#80), in the two articles below. An antique dealer named Janet Hellein in Newark, Delaware had been writing to prominent collectors listed in Who's Who in Card Collecting, offering Old Judges and several more obscure sets for sale. She had apparently failed to deliver many of the cards people had bought from her, leading to an investigation by the U.S. Postal Service and the FBI, and some of the cards she did deliver were counterfeit, according to Egan. They included fake Old Judges, Home Run Kisses, D350-1 Standard Biscuit cards, and Henry A. Johnson cards.

The fake Old Judges were made from glossy photographic prints that collector Mel Bailey had been selling, made from the 8"x10" photos of Old Judges (24 to a sheet) that Goodwin & Company had deposited in the Library of Congress for copyright purposes, as described by Bailey in this article from the April 1970 Trader Speaks:

In the next issue of The Ballcard Collector (#81, June 1972), Wirt Gammon mentioned the scandal at the beginning of his front-page column, including "the possibility that some day some party will try to print fakes of the scarcest baseball cards". He expressed confidence that "a man experienced in handling old cards will be able to tell the difference", thus presaging grading services. In another article inside the same issue, Egan gave more details about the counterfeit Henry Johnson cards, which he had determined were TCMA reprints without the reprint notice on the back -- the beginning of the now-common practice of removing such notices from reprint cards and passing them off as genuine.

In the September 1972 Ballcard Collector, West Coast collector Jim Nowell reported that fake Zeenut, Remar Bread, and Sommer & Kaufman cards had been sighted. It's not clear whether these came from Janet Hellein, but my guess is that they came from somebody on the West Coast.

Finally, in the February 1973 Ballcard Collector (#92), Egan reported that some of the fake D350-1 and Henry Johnson cards had shown up in Charles Bray's auction in Card Collector's Bulletin, the beginning of the practice of auction houses being snookered by fakes:

Here is the first page of Lionel Carter's account of the second day of the 1974 Detroit show (July 20, 1974), from the December 1974 issue of Ballcard Collector. It describes how Irv Lerner showed Carter some counterfeit 1959 Fleer Ted Williams #68 cards that somebody had tried to pass off as real. The original post, including Carter's full account of that day, is here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217706. Following that is an article from the July 31, 1974 SCD, probably written by SCD founder John Stommen, giving more details about the fakes.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting this, David. I especially like the part about the Henry Johnsons. They have been faked for quite a while.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Interesting stuff.

Here's the fake I ended up with at the first show I went to. considering it was 1978, it was a whole lot of work for someone to get $2.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Chris Counts

I recall fakes showing up in the mid 1970s at the Southern California card club shows. Some local guy got busted for making phony 1963 Rose rookies.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I recall fakes showing up in the mid 1970s at the Southern California card club shows. Some local guy got busted for making phony 1963 Rose rookies.
Are you sure that was the mid-1970s? Rookie cards didn't become a thing in the hobby until about 1980, and the 1963 Rose didn't become valuable until the early-to-mid 80s, when fakes of it proliferated.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I remember seeing fake Rose rookies in the early 80's, when I first got into the hobby. And I got a sense that they were freshly minted. That's when the real ones started to get very expensive.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Bob McLean

That was some interesting reading.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Mark Macrae

Some of the 1925 Zeenuts that Jim Nowell referred to turned up a few years ago, slabbed, in an auction. The paper stock is now more than 40 years old and can more easily slip by than they did in the 70's. The person that is believed to have produced those cards also did the Sommer & Kaufman cards, which also pop up from time to time...He is still in 'the hobby' and known by longtime collectors, but rarely appears in public any longer... Some of the Remars were printed in black ink, rather than blue, but that was by Sport Hobbyist and they are marked on the back....I seem to recall the Rose card scandal being in the early 80's (82/83), but that too has become a blur....
Old 12-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Jonathan Sterling

This post brings up a lot of memories. The First is the Old Judge proof sheets. My Dad and I visited the library of congress with the express purpose of seeing their baseball card collection. My Mom was a librarian so even at 14 I knew my way around a library catalog. Started with some albums and boxes of 19th century sports and non sports cards. Then the docent said he knew of some nice baseball items. He returned with a cart full of boxes that contained the Old Judge Proofs. Having them in my hands was almost surreal. We spent hours just going through them just My Dan and me in a room with the old judge proofs. I remember discussing with the staff how valuable these were and they seemed surprised.
Secondly I remember the article about the number 68 Ted williams. Back when Detroit was the center of the baseball card collecting world. It is a shame that fakes have permeated our hobby even from the beginning. I remember the 63 Rose rookies and how a guy showed up at a show I think in New Brunswick NJ with a few and The first red flag was he was selling them cheap ( less than 50% of market) If I remember he was asked not to sell the cards by the promoter. He claimed of course I bought them from a guy who swore they were real.
Nothing new under the sun and that is a shame.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:01 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I think it is important to see some examples of these cards, they aren't really very well done in most cases and probably wouldn't fool anyone today but important to see nonetheless.

I have a small collection of these reprints I have picked up over the years. In a strange way they are part of hobby history.

Home Run Kisses...

N172 w/ shellacked front w/ stamps on back...

N172's

Remar Bread (Sports Hobbyist B&W) along with a regular issue. This one is a collectors issue/reprint from back in the day that are sometimes advertised as real...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562