NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Can you elaborate on this method of searching inside packs?
Cards were packaged in sequences. If you know the sequence and can identify the top card, you'll know the cards underneath (within the pack) without having to open it.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
D@ve R1cks

Around 1990 I sold almost all my cards to a friend in exchange for about 15 Jose Canseco cards, including "gems" like his 87 topps all star rookie. My friend threw in a Beckett with Jose on the cover, and that sealed the deal.

Oops.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Cards were packaged in sequences. If you know the sequence and can identify the top card, you'll know the cards underneath (within the pack) without having to open it.
And they still do this today?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
To some extent. I've gotten the same partial pack sequence a couple times.
But the "rack packs" are just the regular packs inside a sleeve so it's nearly impossible to see who's on top of any pack.

The packs no longer have stiffeners that are as thick as the uniform/bat/whatever cards, so they can be felt inside the pack. I don't bother since I mostly want the regular cards and if I get a special one it's a bonus. But the Target near me has a guy that's there regularly feeling the packs. Which is kinda creepy when you think about it. (Another reason I don't do that. ) So I usually buy racks or the blaster boxes which are tougher to mess with unless it;s a set I collect and they don't have anything but loose packs.

Steve B
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM

There's something on the packs that indicate whether or not it will contain an insert as well. If you do a search on eBay you'll see a lot of auctions for "hot packs." I'm sure a large percentage of the hot packs are just re-sealed packs with a crappy bat card in them. But I bet there are some legit ones too that people have figured out how to spot. They never tell you how they know its a hot pack in the description of course.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There's something on the packs that indicate whether or not it will contain an insert as well. If you do a search on eBay you'll see a lot of auctions for "hot packs." I'm sure a large percentage of the hot packs are just re-sealed packs with a crappy bat card in them. But I bet there are some legit ones too that people have figured out how to spot. They never tell you how they know its a hot pack in the description of course.

I don't know if it's true or not as I haven't bought a new pack of cards since around 1991, but I've heard the "hot packs" might be a slightly different weight then the regular packs.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

I had to look no further than the room next to me to find the one who would rip me off. At around 10 years old I was into vintage cards and had bought a nice 59 Topps Clemente that my brother was able to procure from me with an 84 Topps Update Rose (the one with him in an expos uni). We still laugh about it today...well at least he does!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM

A lot of the "hot packs" on eBay now are auto hot packs. I would say the weight issue would come into play for the memorabilia cards. But I'm not sure how you spot an auto hot pack. Unless of course you've resealed the pack. There must be something on the pack that identifies it as having an autograph inside if they are legit.

Last edited by packs; 06-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Manny
Banned

What happened to the days when cards were inserted inside products? MLB should revoke Fleer's licensing rights in favor of a company that will insert cards in cereal boxes instead.

On the topic at hand, I don't think I was ever scammed as a kid with baseball cards. At least not seriously enough that I can remember--or maybe I didn't realize it. My primary MO was to attend a bunch of card shows at Joe Robbie stadium and one large one during Super Bowl XXXIII. I took home a bag full of giveaway packs and cards and got 8 x 11's signed by a ton of pros. I still have a 1998 Bowman Peyton Manning rookie with a Super Bowl impression on its surface. I guess its a rare variation since it was only distributed during this SB event. Yawn...

Luckily, I was really poor at the time so I couldn't afford the overpriced junk sold during this era. That was probably the best thing that happened knowing what became of them. Ah, the nostalgia of the toxic subprime card era and the bubble that burst.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
While in College I worked at WalMart. On one occasion when I was pushing some carts in from outside I saw a guy shuffling through the baseball cards and feeling each pack.

I went and told him that he needs to just pick up a pack and buy it or leave them alone so that other's had a chance to find cards. His response was "I am not the only one, and I do it all the time." I told him I didn't care I didn't want to see him doing it again. He just gave me a dirty look and walked away. I then took it upon myself to stop older guys sifting through the cards when I was in that part of the store. So at least for a year from the time the vendor came in and organized the cards and the time I was off the clock kids had a chance to pull some packs.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Tony Davis

Act 1:
I went to high school in Auburn, WA, a suburb south of Seattle in the late 80's. A buddy of mine was a bat boy for the Mariners, so I was able to pick up from him a game used, broken Jose Canseco bat (this is when he was the hottest in the game).
Act 2: The local Ben Franklin dime store on main street had two boxes of 1986/87 Fleer Basketball cards for $.35 a pack. It was the offseason in baseball, and I loved collecting so I bought and bought and over a month or two I manged to buy most of those packs. Bball cards were not popular back then and I wanted to collect them for the fun of it. I had multiple Jordan RCs, Jordan stickers, full sets.... I estimated about 2.5 full sets and a couple of sticker sets.
Act 3: I was probably a junior/senior in high school when my 11 year old cousin came to town from California. He had $40 in his pocket and wanted to buy something from me because he was a collector also. Being from the bay area, he zeroed in on the bat. I wouldn't budge... I knew that bat would be worth big $$$ someday when Canseco was in the hall of fame. I could retire comfortably in the South of France and write a book on my brilliance. He was about to leave, he was desperate, he wanted to buy something.
Act 4: Do you have any basketball stuff? he asks... Yeah, this old box of cards from a couple years ago, but I don't know what they are worth, I reply. He said, I'll give you $40 for them. I agree... they are gone. Thousands of dollars of mint RCs. At least three Jordan RCs... maybe more.

Epilogue: A few years later, when those cards really took off and were worth a ton, he wrote me a letter thanking me for the new car he purchased after selling those cards. I know that he didn't scam me or cheat me, but I felt really dumb! The Canseco bat is probably worth more as scrap wood right now!